Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Student housing on 97th and 3rd. How safe?

Default Student housing on 97th and 3rd. How safe?

dfs
    Last edited by smith364; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:00 PM.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Male or Female?

It's fine in the daytime. Have you looked at google earth for that corner?

sdff
    Last edited by smith364; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:00 PM.

East Harlem doesn't get bad untill a few more blocks. The area above 96th has improved alot over the last few years. They are building a luxury development at 97th and Lexington Avenue as I type this. And Mount Sinai is at 97th and Madison. Where you are moving is right on the line, 96th is the UES which is a beautiful and very safe area. You'll be walking one block in transition and there is no crime there, you'll be fine.

thank you! I think I will go ahead and book it.

I also i have a student housing question. The ccnytowers located at W130th street and amersterdam avenue. Is that safe?

Other people will chime in, I'm not entirely familiar with that area but West Harlem is safer than East. Sometimes I go shopping on 125th. St. and it's ok.

Not so much. I have a couple of friends that live at the towers, which in addition to being in a not so great neighborhood is a rip off. Two of my friends were mugged there. Part of the problem with the towers is the only entrance is right of St. Nicholas Terrace instead of City College and Convent Avenue. St. Nicholas Park remains a dangerous park, I remember when I went to City College during orientation a security guard told the group, not to be politically incorrect but don't go through St. Nicholas Park, just don't go through there. I would cut through the park alot anyway and you should be fine as I was during the day. The problem is you're living here and you'll be coming home alot at night so I don't know what to say.

expose, is there any other place you could stay?

yes there is the same place mention above and the new yorker hotel student residences

I just found the website for the student housing the first member mentioned.

http://www.studenthousing.org/reside...enue-residence

I continue to be amazed how much of a rip-off this educational housing is. For a year it will cost $1,600 a month to share a room with another person. You can find a studio in a better area for $1,400 and have the place all to yourself, if you want to go the roommate route you can pay between $800-$1,200 for a room to yourself in a better area.

A number of years ago I stayed at the UES Y and it was $800 a month, now its $1,325 a month. If you want to go the educational housing route, I don't know why anyone would, I'd recommend staying there instead, its in a great area, and is about $300 less a month, plus you get your own, albeit tiny room.

Default Of the three choices

97th & 3rd is your best bet. The New Yorker hotel is very poorly maintained and full of bedbugs.

Thanks everyone for your help. It is really appreciated, my sister lives in washington heights with her roommate and we are looking for apartments in midtown or in that around that area and we all can split the rent.

"I'm a 19 year old white female, long light blonde hair and blue eyes."

As a female poster on this forum, and as a female in general, I really have to ask you to think long and hard about how ridiculous this sentence is. If your skin was less white, your hair less light blonde, and your eyes less blue, would you still worry about walking the streets?

Call me old or cranky, but I truly can't believe that anyone in New York would think like this. What is wrong with this city?

sdfsfds
    Last edited by smith364; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:00 PM. Reason: The quote thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast