Thread: Brooklyn Neighborhoods?

Talking Brooklyn Neighborhoods?

I'm applying to CUNY Brooklyn College. They don't offer student housing, so if I get in, I'd have to rent an apartment - since rent seems incredible here compared to my Pennsylvania town, I already have spoken to a couple of friends who'd be willing to move in with me for awhile to split costs.

So, I've been looking around at neighborhoods. I want to go and scout out a few neighborhoods myself this winter.

Thing is, I'm not at all familiar with New York. From what I can tell, Brooklyn College is on Bedford Avenue, which goes through Williamsburg. So I'm considering that. How decent is rent? Is the location good?

By location, I'm considering
    1) being able to get to school easily,
    2) quick access to groceries, decent dining, music
    3) subway access, so I wouldn't be totally screwed come winter
    I don't care about trendy bars and clubs, crap like that. :P

Out of curiosity, what's the commute from Williamsburg to midtown like? I don't want to live there, but it'd be nice to head out once in awhile.

edit] What's the status on pet ownership there? I'm going to end up with at least one of the family cats (my parents are getting tired of them), and possibly 2 or 3 of them if it would work. They're indoor cats, declawed.

If I'm being ignorant in thinking about Williamsburg, what would you suggest instead?

Edit: So thanks to antinimby, I know I'm looking around Midwood/Flatbush and not Williamsburg. Can someone answer my questions about that area instead?

It's a really competitive school compared to ones around here, so I won't be devastated if I don't get in.. but I want to be prepared if I do.
    Last edited by Soup; May 21st, 2008 at 04:18 AM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Bedford Ave. is a very long street that goes through many Brooklyn neighborhoods

The part of Bedford Ave. that Brooklyn College is located on is NO where near Williamsburg.

Brooklyn College is in a part of Brooklyn called Midwood and also close to nearby Flatbush.

Subways will get you to Manhattan in 30 minutes - 1 hour depending on express/local trains.

The pet thing is really up to each individual owner. Each have their own policies.

Thank you so much.. it's impossible to get a feel for this through the internet, lol.

So I'll start looking around Midwood, great!

I suggest to look in Ditmas Park, Midwood, Kensington, Prospect-Lefferts Gardens. These are all easy to reach from Brooklyn College and all are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Thank you so much.. it's impossible to get a feel for this through the internet, lol.

So I'll start looking around Midwood, great!
    How did you end up choosing Brooklyn college? There are certainly some good professors at BC and I personally know some people who ended up quite successful while not having to pay a lot of loans and getting very cheap education. However, the area around Brooklyn college is not the best one (plus, you will be paying out-of-state tuition). The school is not very prestigious and - like many city schools - quite bureaucratic. If you plan to major in economics and finance, you may want to choose Baruch College which also belongs to CUNY. There's another popular CUNY school - Hunter - that is located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

By the way, remember that in admission, they may give preference to those living in the city, since CUNY is supported by the NY taxpayers.

Personally, I cannot imagine someone living in PA having a burning desire to study at Brooklyn college. Have you been to this area of Brooklyn before?

Honestly, I just want to get out of my town for the 4 years I spend in college.. and maybe grad school too. I live in a crappy town of 3000, I love being in cities, and I think that's how I want to spend my college years.

I'm going to be a first generation college kid, and my family isn't rich, so I'm going to be paying my way through college. That's why the city university came to mind. It's affordable and it looks reachable with a little luck (as you pointed out, I'm an out-of-stater). I can't afford a really prestigious school, but CUNY looks like a better run for my money than say, Penn-State at Philadelphia.

Anyway, I mailed out for information on each CUNY branch and decided I liked Brooklyn College best. The location helps too, I don't think I could afford to live in Manhattan. I'm still applying to a few others to keep my options open.

Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by MrSpice View Post
    How did you end up choosing Brooklyn college? There are certainly some good professors at BC and I personally know some people who ended up quite successful while not having to pay a lot of loans and getting very cheap education. However, the area around Brooklyn college is not the best one (plus, you will be paying out-of-state tuition). The school is not very prestigious and - like many city schools - quite bureaucratic. If you plan to major in economics and finance, you may want to choose Baruch College which also belongs to CUNY. There's another popular CUNY school - Hunter - that is located on the Upper East Side of Manhattan.

By the way, remember that in admission, they may give preference to those living in the city, since CUNY is supported by the NY taxpayers.

Personally, I cannot imagine someone living in PA having a burning desire to study at Brooklyn college. Have you been to this area of Brooklyn before?
    The area around the college is fine, I live there. If you remain aware of whats around and don't flash valuables late at night, there is no problem. I walk around BC 3-5 AM and never feel afraid, although a bit cautious. (Which you should be anywhere in the city at that time.) Out of state tuition is still good compared to private schools. Let's take Pace for example, $1,000 a credit vs $360 a credit? Take your choice.

This may make the CUNY schools sound bad, but if your grades are decent, don't worry about being from out of state. The schools are easy to get into. Again, that may make them sound bad, but if you go to do well, and actually do well, you'll be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Honestly, I just want to get out of my town for the 4 years I spend in college.. and maybe grad school too. I live in a crappy town of 3000, I love being in cities, and I think that's how I want to spend my college years.

I'm going to be a first generation college kid, and my family isn't rich, so I'm going to be paying my way through college. That's why the city university came to mind. It's affordable and it looks reachable with a little luck (as you pointed out, I'm an out-of-stater). I can't afford a really prestigious school, but CUNY looks like a better run for my money than say, Penn-State at Philadelphia.

Anyway, I mailed out for information on each CUNY branch and decided I liked Brooklyn College best. The location helps too, I don't think I could afford to live in Manhattan. I'm still applying to a few others to keep my options open.

Thanks for the information!
    lol you're just like me..
    my town is 17,000 and i wanna get out to big city (nyc) so i'm moving to polytechnic university in august

I didn't realize there was a Penn State campus in Philadelphia. There are numerous Penn State campuses located all around Pennsylvania with lower admission prices than the main campus at University Park. Also, Penn State is a great school, for far less cheaper than what you'd be paying with out-of-state fees.

I'm not telling you how to go, I'd just reconsider. Have you ever visited New York City? If you're from a town of that many, you might have quite a culture shock when going to your school. I'd visit and look around before I'd want to invest in 4 years at a place I'm not entirely comfortable with.