Thread: 159 Joralemon St to be demolished

Default 159 Joralemon St to be demolished

Searched these boards and Google news and found nothing. Has anyone heard of this? I was speaking with a business owner on Joralemon st today and she told me their building was scheduled for demolition. Sure enough, the 2nd through (5? 6? I didn't count) floors appear empty and other street level businesses are emptying out.

This is a large building on the Northeastern corner of Clinton St & Joralemon St. It is exactly across the street from the Packer School and also known as 101 Clinton.

Interesting to note that this is inside the boundaries of the Brooklyn Heights historical district. It's not a pretty building by any means, and there's no reason to lament it's passing. Aside from the fact that most of the new builds in the area have been eyesores, and hopefully what replaces it won't follow that trend.

OMG it just occurred to me I'm going to lose my favorite neighborhood deli! :-(

Snapped a picture:

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

are the top 3 stories an addition? fugly.

it certainly looks like they are a later addition, yes. They are totally different materials. the bottom 3 floors have some art dec accents that are attractive. But overall, the building's passing will be nothing to lament.

You've given one good reason to miss it:

OMG it just occurred to me I'm going to lose my favorite neighborhood deli! :-(
    You're right. The new building probably won't have a corner food market with colorful fruits and flowers, or any of those other little shops that I see there in the picture. I hope I'm wrong.

So is it demolished now?

It related well to its corner setting and met the street friendly.

Truly a contextual building. Such buildings don't need conventionally beautiful flourishes.

I bet its replacement will have bad massing, equally banal materials, and a charmless street level --even if it contains retail. It's hard for me to imagine a current architect who would do this corner justice.

Used to pass this building daily when living in Brooklyn Heights, and I miss it already.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarknt67 View Post
    Interesting to note that this is inside the boundaries of the Brooklyn Heights historical district.
    The building is just outside the border of the historic district. The small building to the left is included in the district.