Thread: What should we call 'modernist' architecture now?

Default What should we call 'modernist' architecture now?

I'm referring, of course, to the whole Bauhaus-spawned, S.O.M. perpetuated, newly-uber-fashionable "international style".

Thing is, it's not so new after all (charitably, it's 75 yrs. old). It's also clearly not the only "modern" style (PoMo, Deconstructivism, etc.). It's also no more "international" than most other competing approaches. It's also, more than ever, a conscious, aesthetically-driven "style", rather than some sort of utopian/dystopian ideology.

So, what do we call that style in the 21st century (I mean among us archi-geeks. Obviously the great unwashed just call it #@*$!!)

It will still be called modernist.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I think in the future, older buildings of that type will be called Early Modern.

What were buildings called before the modernist age, did they refer to buildings as modernist in the 19th century?

Not sure about the 19th century, but Art Deco was originally in its day called "modern."

As for today, I'm thinking of all the adjectives that could be thrown at the current style -- neo, ego, transparent, tortured, conspicuous, jazzy... do any of those stick?

I think the difference in this age is that the name modernist is ingrained now on a style that is over half a century old, therefore its going nowhere. The fact that there has been a post-modernist period further reinforces that. I believe that modernist as a name for the modern style of architecture cannot be used. Obviously people say modern architecture but that is seperate from 'modernist' architecture. My opinion the name will stick, the reason for this being it hasnt changed even though that period is long over.

In the future, people will laugh about how much we tried to categorize movements in art and architecture when it has become so fluid.

Yes bit I think people will always try to name styles by era, so they don't have to say 'Late 20th Century chair', for example. Why else would we come up with something as goofy as Biedermeier ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Tenenbaum View Post
    In the future, people will laugh about how much we tried to categorize movements in art and architecture when it has become so fluid.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    It will still be called modernist.
    Yes, I agree.

The question I posited was what do people that think about architecture think would be a less relativistic and more descriptive label.

It is called "mid-century modern".

"In a mid-century modern style" is how it is refered to if it is being done today. Wouldn't "in the international style" work too? "Modernist" still comes in handy though.

I think Modernist-Revival is good.

This is not the same modernism as Mies did 50 years ago. The modernism today is more flashy.

Bauhaus?

(sort of like "Biedermeyer.")

Can you say "Bauhaus Revival"?

Default Lol!

Imagine Barbara Walters saying 'Bauhaus Revival".