Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Financial district vesus upper east side

Default Financial district vesus upper east side

Hey everyone,

I just graduated college and am moving into the city with a friend this month (hopefully). We both of jobs lined up and have a budget that can go up to $3,000 per month. We have been looking at places for about a week, but are having trouble finding decent size bedrooms, etc. We looked around 3rd ave so far (24th street up to high 30's).

My friend wants to move to the financial district because he said you get more for the money. But I am afraid it will be dead at night and therefore dangerous when coming back late at night from bars. Also, will I realistically be able to bring girls back to a place so far south?? I here the words financial district and I think boring....I feel like girls will have the same thought.

I would rather move to the upper east side because there is more life. I will feel safer, and have more fun. Will it be harder to find a nice place there?

What do you guys think is the better option? We are 22 years old btw.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

I would rather live in the Financial District, but I have lived in NYC for 20 years. If I were first coming to the city, I would pick the Upper East Side.

ali r.
    {downtown broker}

The Dude Abides

Financial District's not dangerous at all. Lots of young professionals moving there these days.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The Financial District is as dangerous as Disney Land. Danger is not a factor in either neighborhood you are considering.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Somebody tell me if I'm wrong.

There are attractive young ladies in every neighborhood of NYC. If they like you they will come all the way downtown. Prowl SoHo.

Just moved away from the Financial District after 5 years...double check your window thickness, street construction in immediate neighborhood, ambient noise from further away being carried by canyon-like acoustics, etc. Good value to be had for sure, but don't be seduced by thinking it is quiet. Really do your homework on what you find. Services still suspect, but transportation to other neighborhoods generally good except for weekend subway service changes which can make for chaotic trip.

Will be great place to live in about 3-5 years.

Forum Veteran

First apartment in Manhatan was on the UES and its a great area for the young, single worker for sure with good bars, resturants and lounges.

Both areas are safe and if your good enough woman should go with you no matter where you live so that should not be a factor.

The best deal strictly money wise is in the Upper East Side. Life wise, there is no comparrison, the Upper East Side again.

anyone else find it funny that one of his worries in finding an apartment is if girls will find it attractive?

Why not give Battery Park City a try. Right there next to the financial center and not far from Tribeca, Soho, Greenwhich Village...etc

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philvia View Post
    anyone else find it funny that one of his worries in finding an apartment is if girls will find it attractive?

When I was at his tender age one of my big housing concerns was always the 'ease of dragging them home' quotient.

Quote Originally Posted by philvia View Post
    Jets fan...'nuff said.

Girls don't care where a guy live. If they do they're not the kind of girls I'm looking for anyway.

Obviously if it's a girl I'm seriously dating it wouldn't make a difference, but I was really just talking about one night stands and stuff. I am not ready to give up the college lifestyle.

By the way I decided on Stuy Town, what do you guys think about that area?
    Last edited by stache; June 15th, 2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Quote thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nycla3 View Post
    Jets fan...'nuff said.
    What the hell's wrong with the jets?? Giants fans didn't even care about their season until the miracle playoff run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast