Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dubai Opera House

Default Dubai Opera House

Go Zaha!

dubai opera house

I think her stuff is tremendous.

Really?

What do you most like about it? Be as detailed as you care to be.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Go Zaha!
    Yeah. Real lascivious.

OK here goes:

I find her stuff to be spectacular but kind of dumb.

There is never anything to rest your eye on. It all looks so arbitrary. A lump here, a swoop there.

As if some one set a rendering program on automatic and left the room for a couple of hours.

What do you most like about it? Be as detailed as you care to be.
    Simply put, it's incredibly exciting to me; more a gut reaction than anything I could adequately put in words. I'm really not a good enough writer, I will just say that the forms are lovely- moving and organic, they're practically alive.
    They grow out of the terrain and are a part of it.

^Zaragoza Bridge Pavillion
    She excites me with her use of expanses of smooth undetailed surfaces contrasted with areas of space age textures. The bridge/pavillion above is to be enveloped with 29,000 triangles in diverse grey nuances out of fibreC (a new innovative sustainable material)."

I love the sexy, sinuous curves. Maybe I'm also responding to a brutalist aspect in some of her designs, manifested in a new vocabulary of shapes.
    Certainly the interior spaces are as exhilarating as the exterior ones. For all of the shifing forms and curves, there isn't chaos but an almost serene totality, a peacefullness.

Something about myself that may also be at work here...I'm a huge science fiction fan! Her work is so damn futuristic and challenging! If there's anyone here who has read work by Octavia Butler, you would know what I mean when I say Zaha's buildings sort of look like what I pictured in my mind when reading Butler's Lilith's Brood.

It all looks so arbitrary. A lump here, a swoop there.
    I don't think this is true of her better work, in fact I would say this about some things by Ghery but Zaha's stuff is deliberate; I can see where one curve relates nicely to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    OK here goes:

I find her stuff to be spectacular but kind of dumb.

There is never anything to rest your eye on. It all looks so arbitrary. A lump here, a swoop there.

As if some one set a rendering program on automatic and left the room for a couple of hours.
    I agree, though I dont find her work spectacular.

Ok. Thanks, MTG. Not trying at all to argue/contest what you are saying. Just trying to get it more articulated (for my own interest). I hope you will bear with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    … the forms are lovely- moving and organic, they're practically alive. They grow out of the terrain and are a part of it.
    [..] I love the sexy, sinuous curves.

Is it the lack of ‘rigid’ right angles? The snese of iunity with landscape? That they don’t look like very “building-y” buildings?

…her use of expanses of smooth undetailed surfaces contrasted with areas of space age textures.
    What is it about the expanses of smoothness that you like? What about the space-age material (is it just the Sci Fi angle or something else?)
    Last edited by Luca; June 16th, 2008 at 03:51 PM.

I like her work. Sorry if it was not articulate enough for you.

Let me turn it around. Why do you dislike it?
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; June 16th, 2008 at 09:42 AM.

I like her work. Sorry if it was not articulate enough for you.
    Let me turn it around. Why do you dislike it?
    No, no! No need to apologize!!

Just trying to understand. Sorry if you felt 'pushed'.

In answer to your query (as the man sez in Blade Runner...), I tend to like symmetric buildings*. I also prefer buildings to have simple main massing* (leavened by ornament*) rather than complex main massing. I also dislike the look of most basic concrete and plastics and those metal scrims things that are very popular now*. I like regular fenestration, as opposed to irregular, readability of the building (as opposed to mystery/enigmatism) and I like classical forms of ornament with clear, representational allusions*. I prefer pitched or somehow pinnacled or decorated rooflines where the building meets the sky*.

* = if you are interested at all, I can try to explain WHY I like these things, but no need for me assume and bore you.

No, I would hesitate to ask for an explanation of why you like them...I know those kinds of questions are always difficult for me. It's like, if someone asked me why I like strawberries, I would be hard pressed to come up with much more than "'cause they're sweet and taste good!"
    For the record, I also love traditional buildings with the elements/ qualities you've described. Perhaps that's peculiar...I like it all if it's done well.

I udnerstand. I agree that they are difficult questions to answer ("just because...". I have found that trying to answer them as openly and unjudgementally as possible can illuminate some of the beliefs/choices we are making, sometimes without realizing it. Think of it as aesthetic/philosophical Freudian discourse

Oh, and I do realize from other posts of yours that you do appreciate historical buildings. Indeed here on WNY there is at least a consensus that nice old buildings ought to be preserved, even when there is some disagreemnt abotu newer buildings.

Related:

Hadid proposal : REJECTED

Zaha Hadid has proposed a very Zaha Hadid extension to the Middle East Centre at St Antony’s College in Oxford. Alas, it is not too be. Designed around a delightfully academic and relatively simple program of reading room, library, storage, and lecture hall, the proposed addition, known as The Softbridge (does that name make anyone else a little uncomfortable?), was found to be “in constant competition with its neighbours.” And it’s not just the exterior that has been found wanting — the committee also questioned the layout of the addition, which placed the library’s archive behind a south-facing glass wall. Ms. Hadid’s buildings tend towards to object-in-the-park, but upon her return to the drawing board, surely she can make an effort to create something that’s more of a response and less of a statement. Click through for for images of what never will be…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast