Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Random Thoughts Thread

601 Lexington (Citicorp building to most people) has set up a HUGE and beautiful Christmas tree in the sunken plaza...in previous years there used to be just some small ones in the fountain. This tree is very tall and in my opinion more beautiful than the one at Rockefeller Center.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I don't like the 30 Rock tree this year, but maybe it looks better at night.

Stocked up on 100 watt light bulbs, enough for at least 10 years. Next I'll start buying the 75s and 60s.

^When you really think about it, the 100w are for use in places like your garage, a shed, a dark hallway that sees absolutely no sunlight, so the new energy-saver bulbs are ok for that. For bed or tableside lamps, you want the warmer light that the incandescents give off. Hopefully by the time they phase out 40 & 60w incandescents, they'll have figured out a way to make the fluorescent bulbs warmer.

Forget fluorescent.

LEDs.

15w = 100w
    Lasts 50,000 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Stocked up on 100 watt light bulbs, enough for at least 10 years. Next I'll start buying the 75s and 60s.
    I am sorry, but I don't understand the advantage of incandescent bulbs. Can you explain?

They're more flattering.

And stache should know. Never would have been able to get this shot with flourescents ...

They need to find a way to get them so they are lit at a higher frequency than the standard 60Hz house current rate.

It gives me a headache after a while, and I am acutely aware of it when my field of view is in motion (like seeing Christmas lights on the peripheral of your vision while driving past them... they strobe...)

Old florescents were very much like that too, although I think they found a way to lengthen the duration of luminescence of the gasses and/or diffuse the light better to make it less pronounced. LED's are still too direct.

^@Edd

Color temperature.

It is more directly applied in photography, but you are subliminally influenced by a "warm" light as opposed to a "cold" one regardless of the actual temperature.

Fire is, ironically, a low color temperature, but makes you feel warm and fuzzy. Flourescent is more blue, the color you get out on a cloudy day in the snow or in the shade.

Your eyes may adjust the color field you are looking at to set things right (example, people do not look orange indoors, even if your camera shot shows them like that, simply because you reset your color balance in your head), but your mind still knows what it is seeing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    It gives me a headache after a while, and I am acutely aware of it when my field of view is in motion (like seeing Christmas lights on the peripheral of your vision while driving past them... they strobe...)

Old florescents were very much like that too, although I think they found a way to lengthen the duration of luminescence of the gasses and/or diffuse the light better to make it less pronounced. LED's are still too direct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    Color temperature.

It is more directly applied in photography, but you are subliminally influenced by a "warm" light as opposed to a "cold" one regardless of the actual temperature.
    Somewhat dated.

LED lighting as a viable replacement for incandescent bulbs changed in 2008-2009, when research (at Purdue U I think) found a way to produce LEDs on a substrate of metal coated silicon instead of sapphire, dramatically reducing cost.

So while individual LEDs are directional, several can be configured in a spherical array and covered with a diffuser similar to a standard incandescent bulb.

I have track lighting with MR16 halogen fixtures. Last year I replaced the bulbs with LEDs. At the time, there was a choice of color temperature, 3500 or the whiter 5000. Except at the lowest dimmer setting the LEDs look the same as the halogens, which have a color temp about 3100. Standard incandescent bulb is about 2700. I've read that LED lamps with variable color temperature (3000-6000) are being marketed. Probably do this with some red and blue LEDs in the array.

LED will just as easily replace fluorescent.

And not a moment too soon!

Has anybody bought those squiggly fluorescent bulbs.

The previous nine posts are off-topic.

Squiggly?