Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Award-winning comedian George Carlin dies

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I certainly don't need a group behind me to form my own opinions.

wow. George Carlin. What else can I say. This guy was a sheer genius in comedy. I remember watching a special on HBO special back in the early 2000s. Man I never laugh so hard on some of the things he said. ( Like baseball vs. Football.) I really am going to miss him.

George Carlin was the sh!!!!!!!!t. Corny at times but he was on a comic league of his own and went where no other stand up comedian never dared to go. My avatar will stay as it is in dedication.
    Last edited by NYC4Life; June 24th, 2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: sentence correction

The Dude Abides

It's times like these when I wish I had been born 10 or 20 years earlier. To have grown up when Carlin was in his hey-day would have been a real treat. He'll always be one of my favorites.

I remember the first time I experienced George Carlin was on one of his HBO specials. Can't remember which one, because there have been several over the years and they're re-run every now and then. But I believe it was at the Beacon Theater. I had never laughed as hard, nor spent as much time thinking about someone's spoken words in my life. It was eye-opening, the way he combined his particular brand of humor - with all its sarcasm, mockery, and irony - with his personal views on society and religion to make sincerely thoughtful points. In so doing, he made us laugh at ourselves and what's wrong with humanity, and then, unashamed, look back introspectively. He was a brilliant thinker, and a comic genius. I will really miss him.

Among my favorites was his tradition of coming up with a new list of "people that should be shot" (or castrated, or put to sleep) for whatever new annoying trend they were helping to spread. And his constant attacks on religious zealotry and its influence on government oddly helped me come to terms with being Catholic. The Carlin golden rule: keep thy religion to thyself.

'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I certainly don't need a group behind me to form my own opinions.
    Stache, if the people you are saying are being insulted by his comments are NOT being insulted, then what he was saying was NOT INSULTING!!!!

Use logic woman!

What he may be saying may be shocking, the context of what he is talking about needs to be taken into account to be able to see if his epithets were insults or poignant reminders of society and how it categorizes these people.

You have every right to be insulted by what he said when you first hear it, but if you are unwilling to listen to what he is actually saying instead of just the terms used to get your attention, then you are not really giving it a chance.

I saw him as a man who basically hated a hell of a lot of things in life. He started off mainstream, then broke the mainstream with the 7 dirty words (which got him arrested and released) and then went on to critique everything he could about society.

Some things being more humorous than others (I think he had a tough bout in the late 80's that made his routines sound more like an angry man complaining about the world than a satirical commentary, but that is just me).

But I never saw him as a man of blind hate. He hated specific human idiocies, not blanket statements or groups. I never saw him as one to be a racist/xenophobe/bigot or homophobe.

Default Carlin,Shmarlin--It's Only a Homophone...

George Carlin's persona was anti-establishment,and he voiced it through irony and sarcasm and a powerful grasp of the language.His insightful side allowed a clearer understanding of the absurdities of life and the meanings of words.His anarchic side skewered ALL groups,be they racial,political,religious,sexual or asexual.
    He didn't need racial humor or potty jokes to draw the laughs either.His audience knew they were in for an evening of laughter--and deep thinking.

George was definitely NOT politically correct,much to the dismay of those who think the world should stop picking on them.They were probably not his audience.
    No one was spared,not the Church,political types,sports teams--not even the sacred gays.As was mentioned earlier,no gay group has ever risen up in scarlet anger,denouncing Carlin and goving him a homophobe label.
    I'm sure a lot of homosexuals heard George's observations,were momentarily shocked and thought..."Oh,I get it" and then had a good laugh.

As a connoisseur of Carlin's material,I have heard the references to homosexuals,but as in all his routines he does a thesaurus of nouns,adjectives,yes,even homophones,to address his point.It was descriptive,a riff and meant for the laugh.

Nothing "-phobic" about it.He was just being funny,which he did well.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

Use logic woman!
    For starters, you have identified me as belonging to a gender of which I am not a member. I know what you mean about the anger in his later routines. I noticed that in the dvd I partially watched. I got the impression that he was grasping at straws to remain topical for a younger demographic.

Carlin was assuredly hetero-normative when he conferred derogation upon gov't, taxes, clergy, advertising, etc. by pejoratively comparing them to an action archaically known as "corn-holing."

This may offend those for whom "corn-holing" is a voluntary pleasurable activity. Probably more of a generational thing, and not directly aimed at gays at any rate. As an apt visceral metaphor for submission it is extremely effective.

How can gays have a beef with "king George" as Dick Gregory referred to him on the ('controversial') Imus in the Morning program this morning? All he's ever done is hobble the authority that has historically oppressed them.

I got the impression that he was grasping at straws to remain topical for a younger demographic.
    Not to keep this going endlessly, but in my opinion, Carlin never needed to gasp at straws in order to remain topical. It just came naturally to him

He was very attuned to our social fabric and the political climate of the times, and that was all he needed to fuel his comedy. His act definitely became darker over time, but his quick wit, and ability to observe his surroundings were a constant.

I really don't think Carlin cared a bit about appealing to anyone.

He was always out of left field... take it or leave it.

And the fact that his act got darker and angrier over time: well, great.

For starters, you have identified me as belonging to a gender of which I am not a member.
    My bad, but the nick and the avatar are a bit...um...misleading......

I know what you mean about the anger in his later routines. I noticed that in the dvd I partially watched. I got the impression that he was grasping at straws to remain topical for a younger demographic.

Sort of. I think it was shortly before he was in Dogma that he seemed a bit more bitter and burnt out than usual. Almost in the same way Andy Rooney's commentary on little things turned from humorous to innane (he was talking about an orange peler one time. Like I really GAS about a stinkin' orange peeler!!!)

nd GC may have just been trying to stay current.

One thing I have noticed about comedians is that when things do not bother them directly anymore, things that are not somehow connected or related to their audience, they lose touch.

The Dilbert cartoons would be a good example in that once he stopped working at an engineering firm, his cartoons became less and less connected to actual happenings and idiocies that we all experience. Ray Romano is another, Dave Barry.

Hell, some just got less funny when they quit drinking/sniffing/injecting.

I am still trying to figure out what turned Eddie from "Raw" to "Overdone Ala Disney".

The definitive Carlin youtube library: DiavoloDiAno Channel

Background viewing on my desktop for a few days now...

Sep 16, 2:11 PM EDT

AP Photo/ROBERT SEBREE

Jon Stewart to honor Carlin at the Kennedy Center

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Jon Stewart, Bill Maher and Margaret Cho are among an all-star lineup of entertainers who will honor the late comedian George Carlin at this year's Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.

The prize was announced just before Carlin's death in June. It will be awarded during a tribute performance November 10th at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington. The program announced Tuesday will be aired later on PBS stations.

Others who will honor Carlin include Garry Shandling, Lily Tomlin, Denis Leary, Joan Rivers, Lewis Black and Richard Belzer.

The prize is being awarded posthumously for the first time in its 11-year history.

Last year the Kennedy Center honored Billy Crystal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12