Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Proposed - Dynamic Tower - New rotating skyscraper for New York - by David Fisher

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    NYC On List To Get Self-Powered Tower

Dubai Tower

By Natalie Dolce
    Last updated: June 24, 2008 01:28pm

NEW YORK CITY-When Italian architect Dr. David Fisher today revealed the launch of the Dynamic Tower at the Plaza Hotel here, the world’s first building in motion, to be constructed in Dubai and Moscow, he revealed that the third tower will be located in New York City. Although he did not reveal specifics about the Manhattan rotating tower, he said he was already in talks with developers.

Copyright © 2008 ALM Properties, Inc.
    Uh.....two words:

Yea right.

May wanna put this on this thread before we start wasting any emotional energy on it.

Thumbs up

That's the spirit!

Haha, you guys are so funny. Did The Onion break this story?

So to sum it up we've got a guy with an unknown nationality and architectural degrees from schools that don't exist (honorary at that!) proposing what certainly looks like the biggest engineering challenge of modern skyscraper building. That sounds encouraging.

Two things though -

1- I'm fairly sure that Erno Rubik came up with this design a long time ago.
    2- Why are WE out of all people actually excited about getting a copy of a building that's proposed for Dubai and Moscow?

I say build it in Staten Island! Let's just hope they get someone with an actual engineering degree to design these units. I imagine the centrifugal force may have you stuck to the outer windows!

The Dude Abides

Apparently he seemed credible enough to the team at Fox5 News to pass for a standard hype-ful interview. Big surprise.

Honestly, I don't find this interesting. I wouldn't shed a tear if it wasn't built.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

and if it does get built, please give the dubai joint many years to work out its kinks. we don't want the first gen i-phone for $600. i'm more of a 3rd gen for $99 kind of guy - if you know what i mean.

Yes it's best that we could be getting the third one, not the first, because a skyscraper like this must be packed with problems, even though the designers feel strongly that it will all work out. It seems like with this type of building the core takes 100% of the load. Not to mention electric and plumbing and AC and heating and water cooling and heating ect. It will be amazing if it can all function better than a normal skyscraper while in motion or still.
    Last edited by Ebola; June 26th, 2008 at 03:52 PM.

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

Reading this I can't help but think of Baltimore's Circle One Restaurant, which sat atop the Holiday Inn downtown in the 1960s and 70s. It rotated, but the spinning was stopped in the 70s and the place turned into a conference center. I'm told the room still shakes even though it no longer spins. Anyway I was looking for stories about why the stopped it because I have heard the spin was pretty bumpy and thought that might have been why. All I found was this, which is funny but not helpful:

Closing Circle One Restaurant

Say it to yourself: Holiday Inn. The very name suggests white bread. It’s the known, the familiar, and the expected. With1,500 locations worldwide, rest assured that the Holiday Inn in Ashland, Ohio, is the same as the ones in Ashland, Ore., and Ashland, Ky.
    Setting Baltimore apart from all the others was Circle One, a space-age, revolving restaurant perched atop an otherwise nondescript hotel. It was one of the first of its kind in the country and made one revolution per hour, offering views of the dowdy, surrounding neighborhood through the ‘60s and ‘70s.
    Then, just when things were starting to happen at the Inner Harbor, someone at Holiday Inn decided that the restaurant should be shut down, gutted and turned into meeting rooms. In the ensuing years, between the excitement over Oriole Park and Cal Ripken’s consecutive-game streak, not to mention the cocktail and cigar crazes, and the embracing of all things retro, Circle One should have been the hottest restaurant in town. But instead, the space is occupied by business-form salesmen, sitting on stackable chairs, watching a Power-point presentation, while eating danish. Welcome to Ashland.
    http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index....e_tenbad_ma04/

Anyway, I don't want one of these towers just yet. Definitely doesn't pass the sniff test as Fabrizio says.

Default Thanks but no...

If a developer is going to drop the money, time and effort (fighting NIMBYs and the city's thousands of corrupt agencies that exist in place of a unitary planning agency) to build something on this scale, I'd rather that money go toward a more unique use. A rotating skyscraper is a fairly interesting idea -- assuming Fisher isn't a charlatan, as I suspect he is -- but "No. 3 in a series" is a bit lame. If this sort of engineering prowess does exist and a developer really wants to create a building that moves, why not build on this idea to create an even more outre style of movement? (A tower that bends or dips, mayhaps?) Or just drop the movement thing: A contextual, defining monument a la Tour Verre is infinitely more interesting than the sloppy seconds of ... Moscow and Dubai.

This tower is very fascinating. But the reality is that the fustration of seeing Nimby's and a host of other problems slowly take away all hope, piece by piece, time and time again, makes this likely to be another long and painful dissappointment if this is not killed on the spot.

Yes, I am very pessimistic about this one.

What a bunch of naysayers and sour pusses we have here.

Gee, and here I thought it was all mirth and levity.

Default Ice

I'd like to know what would happen in a heavy wet snow or ice storm. I can envision a 6 foot stalagtite hanging from a unit that slowly turns towards a direction that causes it to drop loose and crash to the street, or accumulated wet snow that may get pushed off by rotating into the unit above it.

Also how do these rotational features effect the firecodes and other safety codes? Is there a potential condition where unforeseen hazards are created?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ Well, if this is a legitimate endeavour and they're going to put them up in Dubai and Moscow first, then by the time they build it here, it would have been weather-tested in Moscow.

I'm 92% certain it won't get built in Moscow. The government or the oligarchs friendly to it propose some absurdly tall building or otherwise extremely ambitious and capital-intensive project for Moscow or, increasingly, the provinces (think a post-apocalyptic Iowa) on a fairly regular basis. These often get earnestly reported by the "Western press," only to be never heard from again. I can think of only a few things that have actually gotten built, and none of them has been a "blockbuster" project.

Banned Member

Maybe they can put in some grain silos next to it and use the building as a mill to make flour.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast