Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Proposed - Dynamic Tower - New rotating skyscraper for New York - by David Fisher

^ Well, it is wind powered. . .

The 420-metre (1,378-foot) building's apartments would spin a full 360 degrees, at voice command, around a central column by means of 79 giant power-generating wind turbines located between each floor.

The slender building would be energy self-sufficient as the turbines would produce enough electricity to power the entire building and even feed extra power back into the grid, said the Italian architect at the unveiling of the project in New York..
    Is there really a small turbine design capable of fitting between the floors of a building and generating that kind of energy, or are we looking at the kind of grandiose claims associated with vaporware?

Perhaps it's a sort of Gravitram

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Reading this I can't help but think of Baltimore's Circle One Restaurant, which sat atop the Holiday Inn downtown in the 1960s and 70s. It rotated, but the spinning was stopped in the 70s and the place turned into a conference center. I'm told the room still shakes even though it no longer spins. Anyway I was looking for stories about why the stopped it because I have heard the spin was pretty bumpy and thought that might have been why. All I found was this, which is funny but not helpful:
    I believe rotating top floors is somewhat "common"... The restaurant "Pearl" in Reykjavik, Iceland rotates, and it's very pleasant and smooth, the view is spectacular and I haven't heard anyone react negatively to it. Although, after a good few cocktails I certainly felt the movement when trying to head for the head

That being said, I read a lengthy article about this rotating tower in some quasi-scientific magazine, allegedly the solar panel on the top and the wind generations between (yes!) the floors allegedly does not only produce enough power to keep the entire building (movement and all electricity needed in the apartments), but also enough to power the neighboring houses.

So this architect isn't only revolutionizing skyscraper building, it certainly sounds like he's made some quantum leaps in renewable energy too.

24 buildings? 8/8/08, 10/10/10 and 11/11/11? this reeks.

http://www.tradearabia.com/news/CONS_146015.html
    So there are actually two groups planning rotating skyscraper projects for multiple prominent cities? That's crazy!

Here's the site for the second project. They have an architect and an engineer who have actually built things. The site is crazy disorganized flash, but one page I stumbled upon had a map of all of the cities supposedly included in this project. Some were the usual suspects, like New York, Dubai and Shanghai, and some not so usual, like Nairobi.
    Last edited by BenM; July 3rd, 2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: buzzed typing

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Now that Nairobi is going to get one too, I don't think I want one here anymore.

If one is built in Nairobi, the residents would probably enjoy nice views of the Serengeti.

Whoever is designing that thing, it looks HIDEOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    Here's the site for the second project.
    Fu.. me, those penthouses look awesome.

I don't want this skyscraper built in New York.

October 29, 2008, 1:40 pm

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/...per-for-ny/?hp

This guy isn't giving up on NYC.

Dr. Fisher, who’s working on another of these towers for Moscow, was in town this week to discuss plans for New York. Where might it go? “We are currently looking at a few sites,” he told me. “It should be a place from where the view is attractive and also where people can stand and watch the building changing its shape.”

Does anyone even know what's going on with the Dubai and Moscow towers right now? I've heard that the Moscow one is as good as dead and haven't heard a peep from the Dubai one.

I could see doing this out in the boondocks where it's not competing for skyline share.

Queens, Meadowlands, Coney Island maybe.

hopefully not that far out. near the riverfront wound be nice

Long Island City and the Brooklyn Waterfront are the most ideal spots for this sort of tower, at least IMO.

Not going to happen in any of the three sites.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast