Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Proposed - Dynamic Tower - New rotating skyscraper for New York - by David Fisher

Though it's never going to happen, I think the most logical spot for the tower is at 12th Ave and 29th Street. Zoning could support a tower of that size, there are decent winds along the Hudson, nothing can ever be built to the south (zoning), east (zoning), or west (river) to obstruct its views or light.

The site is the parking lot south of the proposed 66 story tower at 260 Twelfth Avenue.

You dont think this thing is rotated by the wind do you?

No, I don't buy what the architect is saying about the building being self-powered by turbines mounted between each floor. I just chose a site based on his "facts."

This is a horrible idea that I don't agree with, but I'm going to say it anyway. Governor's Island.

That's the perfect place for it, but man would that be horrible.

Why? What don't you agree with?
    Other than possibly being unfeasible to build, I think it's a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Assuming it would be an aesthetically pleasing structure, I would welcome it were it unique to Manhattan. If is indeed to be built in all the cities already listed, then it is the skyscraper's version of an Ikea store, or those old circular-style holiday Inns that can periodically still be found, you know, the ones that resemble Capital Records in Hollywood.

Default Do it!

I really like this project, its cool. I dont care if its also in Dubai and Moscow (I'm not going there any time soon -nor are the millions of middle american tourists we get).

I dont like it for Manhattan though; I think it would look wonderful in Brooklyn though, sort off by its self where you can appreciate it.

Yeah put it in Brooklyn

Then again...this probably wont happen at all....

It would be great for the aesthetics of it, but completely unfeasible as far as transportation to it. It would require a pretty hefty transportation project to get enough access to it, and that would wind up costing the city, not the developer. Plus, that island should be a recreation center. There are a lot of old buildings out there that I wouldn't want to see razed for something like this.

Are they really thinking about building the identical building that is planned for all the other cities?!? Worst idea ever! Skyscrapers are not McDonalds.

Pei's Seagram building has cousins in other cities like Chicago and Toronto.

Shadly are your comments just referring to the tower being built on Governors Island?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed007Toronto View Post
    Pei's Seagram building
    Mies's Seagram Building?

Shadly are your comments just referring to the tower being built on Governors Island?
    Yeah. I don't think it is feasible. As far as building identical buildings in various cities. I have problems with that. Architecture is supposed to be unique on that scale. I don't want Houston to look the same as Mid Town Manhattan. That would suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Mies's Seagram Building?
    Yes indeed. Sorry for the mistake.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456