Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: The Laureate - 2150 Broadway

One of the best features of these apartments are the 'three-quarter' hight windows. When it comes to finding the best source for window treatments for the interiors, one could not do better than www.blinds.com both fabrication & installation.

A look inside: post construction occupancy news.
    http://bestplaces.nydailynews.com/stories/inside-laureate-new-york-citys-top-selling-luxury-condo

e
    xcerpt: The numbers are astronomical.
    Since late March, at the corner of 76th St. and Broadway, more than 70% of 70 apartments at the *Laureate have sold for an average price of $6.5 million. If they sell out by the end of the year, the sales team of Brown Harris Stevens Select and the developer, New York-based Stahl Organization, will have moved a total of $450 million in apartment inventory.
    This is the biggest real-estate success story since the crash of 2008. In the first two months of sales, more than 40 apartments went to contract.
    “As soon as we put the banner up on the building with a number the phone rang off the hook,” says Shlomi Reuveni, senior managing director and founder of Brown Harris Stevens Select, a small guerrilla-type team focused on new development projects. “We had back-to-back showings all day long, seven days a week.”
    The project’s success didn’t surprise *Reuveni, a 25-year broker, or the experienced development team. With roots in the neighborhood going back to 1949 when they bought a building at 106th St. and Broadway, principals at Stahl knew they had something big when they acquired the land.
    “We sold the Apple Bank condos in less than a year right down the street,” says Stahl co-president Richard Czaja, whose company has ownership in the nearby Ansonia, one of the neighborhood’s iconic apartment buildings. “We had location, new construction and very large homes. No one else had that around here.”

Last edited by infoshare; October 3rd, 2011 at 08:33 PM.

I love this building. I hope that something like this rises on the Manhattan Diner site.

It's a well done period piece, but the period (Italianette, I guess?) doesn't do it for me. I like 15CPW or 535WEA near here more. That said, I think this is a perfectly good building to like.

I love all three of those buildings. I'd like to see more of those rise in Manhattan.

I think we just don't talk about many of them. I mean, 15cpw was a super big deal, but almost no one here talked about 535wea. I was by the brompton this morning and it turned out great. Ralph laurens new building on Madison is just sick beyond belief. I love superior ink too Then there's the stuff somewhere in the middle. I think the centurion is intriguing, but fits somewhere between classic and modern. I think one of the problems is not necessarily a lack of quality, but a lack of discussion on the really quality projects. There's just so much complaining about crappy stuff that the nice stuff gets washed away.

Thumbs up

I agree.

Yes, it is a 'pretty' looking building: but there is just 'no contest' between 'good modern design' and this sort of 'pastiche' that is merely 'faux' historicism. This is the type of building that 'sells' well in the NYC condo market, so good news for those who prefer this; there are plenty more of this type of 'pastiche' in the works - because they sell well.

NOTE: The 'other' more traditionalist Point-OF-View.
    In the dictionary, pastiche is "a composition made up of bits of other works or imitations of another's style". If this sounds bad, why? Sometime in the 20th century we got the strange idea that for art to be modern it has to be unlike anything done before. This is, of course, ridiculous. All art is based on ideas, influences and bits from other artists.[In architecture], avoiding "imitation of another's style" would mean that you couldn't do something good because someone had already done it. This would not only be impossible; it would be stupid. You might just avoid being condemned as a pasticheur if you do a perfect copy, but try and be creative with tradition and your work will be consigned to a special dustbin. Except for a few periods, such as neoclassicism, architects of the past didn't make replicas. They got their inspiration from different parts of history, mixed them up with ideas around at the time and made them into something new.
    Last edited by infoshare; October 3rd, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

And Cass Gilbert built all those beau arts masterpieces because they wouldn't sell well? Likewise, were modern masterpieces like Lever House and One Chase Manhattan Plaza built because people wouldn't like them at the time? I mean, econoboxes with wall through ac units sell great, and we see plenty of them too. I'm pretty sure all NYC real estate has always been because it sells well. I think the question remains why we burn pages and pages of digital space on some so so at best projects while saying nearly nothing about the great ones. I'd just like to see some, let's call it 'enhanced,' discourse. If it means anything at all, I'll try to contribute.

Hi
    Does anyone know what company did the ornamental railings?

Thanks
    Dirk

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910