Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Laureate - 2150 Broadway

Here is the link to the Landmark Deisgnation. All Block and Lots listed on the designation are "contributing". Block 1143 Lot 64

http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/Scripts/DocSearch.dll/ViewImage?Doc_ID=FT_1780000342478

The actual UWS HD (1990) LPC "Designation Report" (BIG pdf -- Volume I of 4 Volumes for the UWS District) lists each property in the HD individually with some info for each, but does not state if those properties are individually contributing, non-contributing, worthy of landmarking, etc.

Seems that the entire area within the UWS HD was given the "contributing" status in regards to the nature of the District as a whole.

When the Greenwich Village HD was designated in 1969 there was no delineation in the HD report, as found in this 2008 letter from the Municipal Art Society ...

The Greenwich Village Historic District Designation Report does not clearly attribute contributing or non-contributing status, but we believe that a significant number of the buildings do contribute to the district.
    Perhaps in earlier days the LPC did not include those specifics in the DRs.

To confuse matters a bit and in regard to the "non-contributing" status, I found this 2009 quote from Landmark West:

... the Landmarks Commission routinely includes buildings that it considers “non-contributing” in historic district designations so that it can manage future changes that affect the context of the historic resource ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Of the three low-rise buildings left on that SE corner at Broadway / West 72nd the other two (the 2-story Citibank deco building and the eclectic 4-story building just to the east of Gray's) are definitely more worthy of protection as individual structures.
    Was that once an Automat?

Yep -- the Citibank was originally a Horn & Hardart.

There was another H & H further up Broadway at 104th Street:

Horn & Hardart Automat Cafeteria Building

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Of the three low-rise buildings left on that SE corner at Broadway / West 72nd the other two (the 2-story Citibank deco building and the eclectic 4-story building just to the east of Gray's) are definitely more worthy of protection as individual structures.
    Doesn't really matter. If they are contributing structures within the historic district, they have the same status.

Found this list of properties. The only non-contributing structure noted is 80 CPW. From the list, the deciding factor seems to be age. 80 CPW was built in 1965. Records show the Gray's Papaya building was built in 1938.

A Contributing Structure has the Landmarks Designation recorded against its block and lot on the land records (ACRIS). The link in my post #61 above has a list of all the block and lots on which the Landmarks Designation was recorded. Those are all of the contributing structures.

LondonLawyer.... just so you know: Carla Bruni ate not one, but 2 hotdogs at some dive in Washington the other day.

So you never know... she just might show up over on 72nd.

Actually I think it'd be a good place to hang out. It's pretty easy to come up with a pick-up line when girl's eating a hotdog.

Sarkozys Eat Half-Smokes at Ben’s Chili Bowl
    By HELENE COOPER

Someone really needs to tell world leaders that people mostly go to Ben’s Chili Bowl at 4 in the morning when they need sustenance to cushion the impact of a night of bad behavior.

Alas, French President Nicolas Sarkozy — repeating a similar faux pas made by President Obama a year ago — strolled into this city’s venerable U Street eatery a little after noon today to give his wife, Carla Bruni, a taste of the Ben’s famous half-smokes.

But wouldn’t a late night visit, when Ben’s is filled with bleary-eyed lushes, have been more atmospheric?

“They didn’t look like the type that would come at that time!” said Doris Pollard, the Ben’s manager who tended to the famous couple.

The Sarkozys, accompanied by Mr. Sarkozy’s two sons by a previous marriage, had — get this — two half smokes each.

What? You’re saying Carla Bruni ate two hot dogs for lunch?

“She finished her first one and ordered another one,” said an adamant Ms. Pollard.

And she ate the second one?

“They were both real hungry, I think.”

Ms. Pollard, who was still buzzing about the encounter an hour later, said that the French first lady, a former model and present European fashion plate, was as nice as could be. “She looked wonderful, in gray slacks and a black top. She’s so tall and stately and pretty.”

Yeah, but what about her shoes?

“Oh!” Ms. Pollard exclaimed. “I am so sorry. I was so busy trying to be cordial and nice I didn’t get a chance to look at her feet. I am so sorry.”

She did, however, get a chance to practice her high school French on the couple, who will be having an intime dinner Tuesday night with Mr. Obama and Michelle Obama in the White House residence. As she went to seat the visiting celebs, Ms. Pollard flashed them a smile: “Je m’appelle Doree.”

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ns-chili-bowl/

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    LondonLawyer.... just so you know: Carla Bruni ate not one, but 2 hotdogs at some dive in Washington the other day....
    Anything that Carla does is fine with me. My comment about Elin Woods' menstrual cycle applies to her too.

Anyone in the area have any recent construction pics of this building? Been too lazy to make the trek upto the UWS.

Looks like this place has topped out... anyone know when they start to market this beast?

Quote Originally Posted by UWSjack View Post
    Looks like this place has topped out... anyone know when they start to market this beast?
    Saw the flag too this morning.

Go on sale in the Fall...

Pricing will be key...

Can someone please take some pics of it? Cellphone is fine.

Time lapse video of Laureate construction. I can't seem to embed the video into this post, my apologies.

Last edited by Edward; May 4th, 2010 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Corrected video code

Unbelievable how quickly this one has gone up. Or maybe I'm just losing track of time...

Thank you, Edward. Can you PM me with the correct way to embed?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast