Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Toren - 150 Myrtle Avenue @ Flatbush Ave - Condo - by S.O.M.

is that 15' the towet setback from the podium? or the podium setback from the sidewalk? Because if its the latter, its not so bad since both developments have their towers stepped back.

Quote Originally Posted by Meatslim View Post
    is that 15' the towet setback from the podium? or the podium setback from the sidewalk? Because if its the latter, its not so bad since both developments have their towers stepped back.
    I don't know if that side of Toren is set back exactly 15'; 15' is the minimum required by law to allow the use of windows on that side of the building to count towards minimum light and air standards.

There will not be any "sidewalk" between the Toren and the Red Apple development. There used to be a street there, but the street has been sold to the developers. So there could be as little as 30' between apartments. That is, the bases of the two buildings are likely to be immediately adjacent, i.e. touching. And each building needs to set back at least 15' on its upper floors to provide light and air. 15' + 15' = 30'.

gotcha. thanks for clearing that up. i'll have to take a closer look at the situation when i go down there and see how far back the tower is set back on the east side.

Toren Has DoBro Speaking Dutch, But How's it Looking?

February 17, 2010, by Joey

We've already done the rendering vs. reality comparison on the private swimming pool within Toren, but now we're back for the main event! Less than two years after we got our renderings reveal, the Downtown Brooklyn luxury condo tower (Toren is actually Dutch for "tower") is closing units. So far it's just a handful of the cheaper stuff, with the priciest sales being a 1,033-square-foot 2BR, 2BA going for $725,000, and mysterious #606 selling for $850,000. The SOM-designed, 38-story Myrtle Avenue condominium was one of the flashiest projects announced during the real estate boom, and odds are it's one of the most daring residential buildings to come out of the meltdown intact. For these reasons, the gang at World Architecture News decided to journey to the wilds of "New York borough" Brooklyn to assess the outcome. Their take? Toren was "worth waiting for." WAN also has a great gallery of images, and love Toren or call it a zebra, you can't deny that the parties involved nailed it when it comes to delivering on the vision.

Toren completes adding to new heights for New York borough [WAN]
    Toren [Official Site]
    Toren coverage [Curbed]

http://curbed.com/archives/2010/02/1...oking.php#more

Those windows - a not easily reachable dusting nightmare . And dark timber floors . Brutal outdoor area (even with plants).

Toren, Brooklyn's Most Eye-Popping New Building

March 4, 2010, by Joey

(click to enlarge)

As the wave of closings continue at Myrtle Avenue's Toren, the craziest high-rise to hit the Downtown Brooklyn skyline in, well, forever, the building is being prepped for a grand-opening bash tonight. But before everything gets covered in champagne and canapés, we were invited inside for a look at the whole package—gym, swimming pool, outdoor space, model units, penthouse (the double-heightness of which can be seen immediately above) and everything else that makes this 38-story, SOM-designed tower such a hot topic. A scorching topic, actually, because based on the comments from Curbed readers following our recent Rendering vs. Reality item, it's clear that Toren—the Dutch word for "tower"—is also a synonym for "polarizing."

As for sales, StreetEasy shows that 21 units have closed as of February 19, all at full asking price except for two (a $363k studio was 8% below ask, and a $440k one-bedroom was discounted 16%). The average price-per-square-foot paid so far: $696/sf. The average views: staggering. Take a look.

Toren [Official Site]
    Toren coverage [Curbed]

http://curbed.com/archives/2010/03/0...w_building.php

LOL That post ^ has the craziest commenters at Curbed out in force -- 109 and counting!

It's a shame because all the comments have so little to do about the building (which is one of the best new high rises in Brooklyn). I love this thing. If I didn't just buy an apartment, I'd buy one here (that would, of course, have required me to wait until I could afford to buy one here instead, but no matter).

Forum Veteran

Late afternoon, 10/05/11

Not so good ^

The way to do it \/

Forum Veteran

They're two different architectural expressions with two different intentions.

IMHO one works, the other is a cold mess that tries to break up a hulking mass and give the impression of multi-dimensionality by use of pastiche.

But that's just me.

c'mon...your just being too kind

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011