Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SYMS - Trinity Place, Financial District

Quote Originally Posted by asg View Post
    In this ^ proposal, they have too conveniently removed 67 Greenwich Street (1810) which was landmarked in 2005.
    Good. Now whatever is built will be taller since the landmarked building can't be demo'd.

The cheap, greedy putzes who build things in NY should look to Europe to see how real architecture is designed -- not that guys like Ross, Zuckerman, Silverstein, Macklowe, Chang, et al care about anything but their profits.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/travel...nas-w-hotel.do

Last edited by londonlawyer; November 15th, 2009 at 05:32 AM.

Is that ^ for inspiration?

That house at 67 Greenwich St is one of the oldest structures in the city, it looks to be in very poor condition and has been empty for at least 10 years. It will probably manage to become so damaged due to neglect that it will have to be demolished. From the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation "Designation of 67 Greenwich Street took several months, partly due to resistance by the current owners, who claimed that the house was structurally unsound and therefore should not be landmarked."

From flickr

Robert Dickey House (1809–10)
    67 Greenwich St.
    New York

Sole survivor of a row of elegant residences (the others demolished for the Brooklyn–Battery Tunnel approach 1940–41) and one of seven surviving pre-1810 town houses south of Chambers St.
    Dickey was a merchant in the China-India-Europe trade and one of the wealthiest men in NY.
    Typical for the period, Dickey conducted business from rear of property at 8 Lumber St. (now Trinity Place).
    Boardinghouse from 1832.
    Raided as a “house of ill-fame” in 1871.
    Fourth storey added 1872.

© Matthew X. Kiernan

From NYTimes

The Dickey House (67 Greenwich Street) was part of New York's Gold Coast when it was built in 1810. Robert Dickey, a wealthy merchant and property owner, lived there and later rented it to members of the prominent Bayard and Low families. Its design has been attributed to L'Enfant, who also worked on St. Paul's Chapel, seven blocks to the north. The fine brickwork and fluted keystones on Greenwich Street are noteworthy but its most striking feature is the bow-shaped bay on Trinity Place that once overlooked a garden, courtyard, coach house and stable.

And the DownTown Express.
    Last edited by asg; November 15th, 2009 at 08:08 AM.

Well -- It would suck schlong if they razed it.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

67's got air rights doesn't it?

If so, that's a valuable asset that the city (LPC) can use to get the future buyer/user of those air rights to promise to maintain structural integrity.

This has been done many times before, most notably to restore the Tredwell Skidmore house at the 2 Cooper Square project here.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    67's got air rights doesn't it?

If so, that's a valuable asset that the city (LPC) can use to get the future buyer/user of those air rights to promise to maintain structural integrity.

This has been done many times before, most notably to restore the Tredwell Skidmore house at the 2 Cooper Square project here.
    If 67 Greenwich St does have development rights, they are already owned by Syms, from when they purchased the property in May 2008. Can air rights be sold to yourself?

From the Observer article:

On May 23, Syms disclosed that the day before, it had purchased 67 Greenwich Street, also adjacent to the company store, for about $8 million. “Although the Company does not have any plans to develop the site, it believed it prudent to complete the purchase in order to protect its property at 42 Trinity Place from encroachment,” said Philip Piscopo, vice president and chief financial officer, in a statement.

If Sy Syms builds this POS, then he's a real

LL - how old are you?

14 and you, Francis?

Psycho: The name's Francis Soyer, but everybody calls me Psycho. Any of you guys call me Francis, and I'll kill you.
    Leon: Ooooooh.
    Psycho: You just made the list, buddy. And I don't like nobody touching my stuff. So just keep your meat-hooks off. If I catch any of you guys in my stuff, I'll kill you. Also, I don't like nobody touching me. Now, any of you homos touch me, and I'll kill you.
    Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; November 15th, 2009 at 10:52 AM.

The Financial District Could Get Another Gigantic Condo Tower

April 8, 2015, by Hana R. Alberts

From left to right, One World Trade Center, 4 World Trade Center, and a possible design for 42 Trinity Place,
    Rendering by Studio C Architects via New York YIMBY

As if 30 Park Place, 50 West Street, 125 Greenwich Street, and 111 Murray Street weren't enough—though their silhouettes are absent from the rendering above—the Financial District and its surroundings had better brace for another mega-tower. It turns out the long-in-the-works, Syms-replacing building at 42 Trinity Place, a few blocks south of the World Trade Center site, may also house an extremely tall condo tower that will probably be extremely expensive.

Because of a collection of air rights from surrounding buildings including Trinity church and former hotel site 50 Trinity Place, New York YIMBY reports, the developers of 42 Trinity Place could theoretically put up a tower totaling over 1 million square feet. In other numerical terms, it could stand 80 stories and 1,015 feet tall—at a minimum. To put that into context with the other glassy things pictured above, One World Trade Center is 1,776 feet with its spire, while 4 World Trade Center is 977 feet.

Rendering by Studio C Architects via New York YIMBY

The setback-laden building, developed by site owner Trinity Place Holdings, would rise on a roughly triangular plot of land with Trinity Place to the east, Greenwich Street to the west, and Rector Street to the north. YIMBY has the following breakdown of what could lie within:

Preliminary plans call for a two-story retail space, topped by three floors for the Department of Education, followed by a hotel spanning floors 7 through 38. Above, the building will be entirely residential.
    These plans are early and subject to change, but it looks like until there is literally no more room for skycrapers downtown, developers and architects are going to keep planning them.

First Look: 42 Trinity Place, Another Supertall Coming to the Financial District [NYY]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...ondo_tower.php

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12