Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Proposed: New Six-star Hotel - 516 Fifth Avenue - by Pelli Clarke Pelli

I concur.

This is really unfortunate, and a great loss for 5th Ave. That was a truly splendid building we lost - I used to pass it 2x per day walking to my office nearby.

What's really adding insult to injury is the POS glass turd-box across the street, the Manufacturers Trust Building, is *landmarked*. It's effectively the prototype for every glassed, oversized ATM in every strip mall parking lot across the world. Or a shrunken version of what the old GM/Newsweek building at Columbus Circle looks like now that it has been ripped up and perversely glassed up. What a boner move that was, "Landmarks" Commission.

Note to Mayor deBlasio: Name a NEW Chair at the Landmarks Preservation Commission NOW.

There are many capable and interested folks in NYC who would take on that job.

And who understand that the key word is PRESERVATION.

It's not the Landmarks Accommodation Commission (although the current Chair often acts as if it is).

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    And who understand that the key word is PRESERVATION.

It's not the Landmarks Accommodation Commission (although the current Chair often acts as if it is).
    Under Bloomberg, the Landmarks Committee was more activist than at any point in its history, and there were far more landmarkings than in any previous mayoral administration.

More likely there will be someone appointed less activist than the past administration. You can't enact DeBlasio's agenda while simultaneously embalming the city in amber.

Landmarking hardly embalms the areas that are designated by the Commission.

I think most of our landmark districts are well deserved. Some should even be expanded, and the designated properties within them should be free to transfer development rights outside the district to nullify REBNY's argument.

The downzonings that created vacuum sealed building envelopes across vast swaths of neighborhoods by the Bloomberg administration is what REBNY should have been more concerned about. As the boroughs outside of Manhattan become more attractive, we will be paying for these downzonings for decades to come. It was the short-sighted approach, when the real problem was/is the lack of transportation planning and the indiscriminate pieces of junk trashing these neighborhood blocks. Large buildings can coexist with small buildings, but unfortunately we live in a time of inept vision and taste.

A 920-Foot-Tall Hotel/Condo Tower May Rise on Fifth Ave.

by Zoe Rosenberg

A few things have happened to the formerly stalled project at 520 Fifth Avenue since news broke that developer Thor Equities would construct a hotel/condo tower at the site, and they're this: the tower is not going to be a measly 39 stories, but 71 stories (and 920 feet tall), the tower has received its first full rendering, and permits have been filed for the building meaning that, after five years, stuff's about to get real. YIMBY says that, if the permits are approved, the first 24 floors of the building will house a 208-room hotel and some street-level retail, and floors 26 through 70 will house the building's 145 apartments. Other than the 26th floor, which will have a single apartment, floors 28 through 70 will be shared by three apartments each. The 27th floor will have a gym and amenity space.

The project's architect of record is Handel. Earlier reports pegged mean Gene Kaufman as the design architect, although that has yet to be confirmed. Permits have already been approved for the building's podium.

Permits Filed: 520 Fifth Avenue [YIMBY]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1..._fifth_ave.php

The existing buildings at 520 are GORGEOUS.

To quote London Lawyer, replacing them with another generic, value-engineered Modernist (i.e., Lack-of-Imagination-ist) Glass-and-Aluminum Rectangle is Taliban-style handiwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    The existing buildings at 520 are GORGEOUS.

To quote London Lawyer, replacing them with another generic, value-engineered Modernist (i.e., Lack-of-Imagination-ist) Glass-and-Aluminum Rectangle is Taliban-style handiwork.
    too late. the buildings have been razed for several months now.

Quote Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post
    too late. the buildings have been razed for several months now.
    Haven't been by in 1+ years (used to work down the street). That's a real shame. New York is cheaper, cruddier, and its quality of life lower, as a result.

Bland.

Hi, Cesar Pelli and the scumbags behind RFR Development!

You guys are a NET NEGATIVE for New York.

Please stop. Or might I recommend Phoenix? Ok, bye. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    Hi, Cesar Pelli and the scumbags behind RFR Development!

You guys are a NET NEGATIVE for New York.

Please stop. Or might I recommend Phoenix? Ok, bye. Thanks!
    Handel is the architect, so that design is obsolete.

I hope that this spurs further development in the area. The block with the Thai Airways building once had nice Buildings which have Been ruined and now look horrible. Also, the 1950s, 20 story office towers must go.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    These buildings' days are numbered.

This frontage needs some help.

mg]
    Here's the block with the Thai building. Two of the buildings here are salvageable, though the Thai building sadly is not. I'd like to see that one and the little junk with Smilers come down.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; August 25th, 2015 at 07:54 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456