Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: 23 East 22nd Street - Flatiron District - Condo - by Rem Koolhaas

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

And is that really a bad thing (a little extravagance that is), ablarc?

Well, it's not my cup of tea.

Elegance over Rube Goldbergianism?

i gotta agree with nimby. let's also not lose track of what people will pay to live in this building. sounds like it's not as of yet, but it will likely sell out. people will pay for the koolhass stunt/solution.

besides, imo as architectural stunts go this one still pales vs the standard hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonik View Post
    Elegance over Rube Goldbergianism?
    Yeah. Have you seen The Prestige?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's his ticket to fame.

I tried googling, but no luck ...

What is The Prestige?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's a movie. Check IMDB. The Times did a big article about retrofutureism recently, and used that movie as a springboard for that particular aesthetic.

Retrofuturism, huh?

These days they cook up a new name for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ... What you're perhaps overlooking is that all Koolhaas' buildings are stunts. He seeks to frame every architectural problem in terms of how he can turn it into a stunt.

The fact that you can identify the process that led there makes it only a bit less of a stunt. The exhibitionism comes first and the program is an excuse to rationalize it.
    That Pritzker Prize he received for his work was surely a mistake. Add to it the Seattle Public Library, Royal Dutch Embassy in Berlin, CCTV in Beijing etc., all just stunts.

Hmmm, I am learning as I go on WNY ...

The recent fashion in (st)architecture has been to fetishize the spectacular.

I think I get what ablarc is saying.

Take Frank Lloyd Wright who for decades labored carefully on diverse typological projects developing his theories and technical skill when finally -- in a genius stroke -- caught lightning in a bottle and produced the Guggenheim, an idiosyncratic expression of program writ large in bold sculptural form.

This singular conception of architecture can be seen as the entire animating principle of Koolhaas' work.

Ultimately, I think this is really an analysis of typology (formalism) versus functionalism. The purpose of liberating architecture from typology is to free it from formal constraints that limit function. On the other hand, to discard the trappings of typology as a foundational ideological parti thus ensuring an a-formal spectacular result can be seen as a stunt.

When you sell your air rights I guess you sell your sunshine rights as well?

That statement about "...all Koolhaas' buildings are stunts" is as black-and-white as it comes, Jasonik. What is there to understand?

And just like there are people who don't agree with you, I, and a number of others about Robert A. M. Stern, I can also assume that there would be quite a few Architects and others that would not agree with ablarc about Rem Koolhaas.

If the statement were confined to this building at 23 E 22nd, and/or a number of others I can think of at this moment, I would find myself in reluctant agreement. But his statement was all inclusive. If the truth be known, I am not a fan of all things Rem Koolhaas, because his work comes with its paradoxes and failures, as well as what you termed "the spectacular" and original. It is the latter that goes down the drain, however, if you accept ablarc's view. Having that view, on the other hand, is what makes this world go around - we all have different takes, and I won't call him "brainwashed" for having his.

There is no school that Rem Koolhaas belongs to, and each effort can be easily misread not as exploration but as an attempt to stand apart as a stunt. Yet Mr. Koolhaas often re-examines forms and shapes, both inside and out. An example is stacking of floors at right angles, in different volumes and different shapes - can be read as attempting to bring attention to itself by some or rethinking the form each time, by others.

Last edited by Zephyr; August 26th, 2008 at 06:22 PM.

Disagreement is all well and good when discussing (capital A)rchitecture, but part and parcel with the eye-candy and innovative forms must be an understanding and discussion of ideas. The design principles and methodology of Koolhaas presuppose certain decision making imperatives that drive his work. To truly and honestly critique his work -- on its own terms and in more general terms -- we must unpack his implicit and explicit ideology from the final built object (i.e. re-read ablarc's full post).

While I appreciate Rem's intellectual modus operandi, personally I find it rather insubstantial when compared with more 'honest' architecture reflected in Thom Mayne's humor and humanity or Herzog & de Meuron's explorations of surface and materiality -- each just as spectacular and original -- but exceeding Koolhaas in what I can only describe as 'soul.'

In the NY Times Magazine issue about the future of the WTC site, Koolhaas proposed a tower with setbacks, turned upside down. That idea appears to have been partly reused in this design.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast