The sculptor Francisco Salzillo was buried in 1783 in the church of the Convent of the Capuchin nuns of Murcia. The church and the convent was destroyed by the socialist and communist militants on July 22nd, 1936 (just four days after start the Spanish Civil War).
The church and convent were located between the Capuchinas street (now would be the streets Barítono Marcos Redondo and José María Ponzoa) and Acequia Street (currently Ascisclo Díaz and Maestro Alonso streets). On the plot of ancient convent garden, was built in the 50's the Provincial Finance headoffice in Murcia. The site of the Capuchin nuns Church until 1936, today would be occupied by Gran Via Salzillo Avenue and the convent are now residential buildings that extend until the current Albacete street.
The convent and the church were designed as Baroque buildings that were completed in 1688. The church was enlarged in 1796 and was added a new Neoclassical façade designed by Pedro Arnal. The renovation works were directed in Murcia by architect Francisco Bolarín.
The Capuchin nuns did not have a new convent on the city until 1980, when they move to a small villa designed designed by architect Juan Antonio Rodríguez on the early twentieth century for the Cerdá family in El Malecon site. In 1982, the founder of the convent of Capuchin nuns of Murcia, Maria Angela Astorch, was beatified by Pope John Paul II.
* * * * *