The bridge was initially designed by the engineer Toribio Martínez de la Vega on the ideas and plans drawed by architect Juan Marfil in 1701. Work began in July 1718 with the foundation work of the bridge on the river bed. Shortly after, the construction works were halted during two decades and resumed in 1739 under the direction of the architect Jaime Bort. The project was substantially modified by Jaime Bort and the construction works were completed in 1742.
In 1850, because of the narrowness of the bridge, it was decided an extension project for the Baroque bridge, ordered by Salvador Marín Baldo to municipal engineers. These expansion work in 1850 were insufficient when it was visited the city of Murcia in 1862 by Queen Isabel II. As a result, the Municipality commissioned a new expansion project to engineer Juan Moreno Rocafull, who designed the current existing metal platform to expand the width of the bridge, being completed works in 1867.
In the 60's, following the opening of the Gran Via avenue, the old Baroque bridge was unable to absorb all private vehicular traffic generated by new developments on the area. This gave rise in 1970 to build a new bridge in front of the Bishop's Palace, which was designed by the engineer José García León.
Similarly, in the 90's was built at the vicinity a suspension foobridge, designed by engineer Javier Manterola, which served to relieve the ancient Baroque bridge built in the eighteenth century the increase of pedestrian crossing by it.
* * * * *