Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: subway v. london underground

- Mobile phone don't have service in NY metro. I find this just incredible.
    - LED display are present in a few stations, that's all for the moment. Times Square on the 1,2,3 lines platform has the screen installed already, but after several months, it's still not displaying anything.
    - NY stations are soooo just below the street level that it rains and snows in the platforms. Nick, don't worry about the vagrants in the metro because of the 24hr service : in winter, it's as cold as outside, and in summer, platform are just huge saunas.
    - Swiping sucks, it's so cheap.
    - Turnstile are both in and out, that sucks too.
    - It has not been said enough : the stations and the platforms are in such a state of decay, it's just unbelievable. It's been months now that there's a bucket in the 23rd Street, 1 line, station that collects the rotten water dropping from the rotten ceiling. I'm waiting with big excitement the day when the ceiling of the 72nd Street station will collapse. What are all those cables, electric wires, light bulbs, multiplugs, that hang in the middle of the tracks at 50th Street and some others too ? I like also the way that little sign in that same station is boasting about the station having been entirely restored in 1992 !! That's a fortunate precision, in case you'd think it has not been cleaned nor fixed since 1929..

Aaah, NY is such an exciting place.

It's no secret many of the stations are decrepit, but the overall point should be if it gets you where you need to go. You're only in the station 10 minutes (at most) waiting for a train. Given MTA's monetary dilemma, It would just be an necessary luxury to have stations climate conditioned and spotless.

The below street level argument is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by hadronic View Post
    Aaah, NY is such an exciting place.
    You sound exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by hadronic View Post
    - NY stations are soooo just below the street level that it rains and snows in the platforms.
    The London Underground gives me severe feelings of claustrophobia. I feel much more comfortable on the NY Subway. I'll take it's cheap price, 24 service and bare bones atmosphere over the London Underground any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    The London Underground gives me severe feelings of claustrophobia. I feel much more comfortable on the NY Subway. I'll take it's cheap price, 24 service and bare bones atmosphere over the London Underground any day.
    If you suffer from claustrophobia, I would advise against travel on any underground or conjested rail network anywhere in the world. Wouldn't want you to have a panic attack on the Lexington Avenue line at rush hour now would we.

A panic attack on the Lexington Avenue line starring me would be a YouTube sensation.

You already are ...

OMG. I had no idea they were down there.

I'm starting a friggin' blog.

I'll be to the C.H.U.D.S what Pamela Geller is to the Muslims.

Hello every one this is my first post to this forum.

^ (I have a feeling it's all downhill from here... )

oh no a "vs." thread

ok so did i miss the part where, along with the subway, nyc and just about every other city also has busses that run all night? so much for all that mighty london night bus jibba-jabba earlier on. just sayin for the record. i mean call me spoiled, but i prefer having bus/local train/express train choices going at all times as i am sure most people would. extensive/modern/clean what have you as london, tokyo, etc. systems are, they shut down at night. although i suppose hanging out all night in a tokyo kissaten (coffee shop) waiting for the morning train has it's romantic haruki murakami charm -- a once is enough charm that is!

and since we're also talking modern transit -- as someone who works all over the city, my nyc subway beef (london too) is that the newish train arrival signage would serve me better posted at the subway entrances instead of on the platform itself. i wanna know when the train is coming before i pay not after -- after you pay it's over who cares how long you are going to wait.

oh and one more thing, the fabric tube train seats are skeevy -- not a good idea!

ok i've vented enough about both systems - carry on!

I've seen them installed outside the turnstiles at a few stations. Not sure if this will be system wide though.

I've seen them at lots of entrances as well.
    I think they're up to more than a hundred stations now with the electronic ETAs.

I totally agree about fabric seats in London....disgusting! Touting them as an advantage over the NYC system isn't going to win many converts.

Imagine sitting on fabric after 1,000 sweaty Londoners (suffering through an air-condition-less ride) sat there before you. Even worse, the other bodily products you might get after a night of drunken Brits have slogged it home.

No thanks.

Good to see this thread still going - how's that smartcard ticket system roll-out progressing?

Last month it was announced that by the end of 2012, it would be possible to navigate across all modes of London transport (tube, train, bus, tram and river) without a contactless Oystercard as you would instead be able to use your Visa, Mastercard or American Express debit/credit contactless card. The ultimate aim is to get rid of ticket offices, ticket machines and the various back-office activities related to public transport ticket services.

Source: tompagenet at Flickr.com

So you'll have dozens of individual charges showing up on your monthly invoice? When that comes to NYC system-wide I'll have to adjust my bookkeeping.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast