Thread: Moving to NYC in January

Default Moving to NYC in January

Hello all, newbie here

I have been offered a job in New York to start in January 2009 but i have hit a brick wall when it comes to looking for an apartment.

I know its early to start looking but i just want to crunch the numbers!!

I have looked at various sites but cant seem to find anything.

What sites can you recommend???

My new job is as a trainee retail stock broker so i am not going to be on very good money to start with (i think about 300-400 dollars a week max).

Will i be able to find a cheap apartment that i wont have to worry about getting shot/mugged outside my front door and still have money left for food etc...

I have alot of money saved up but if i dont have to dip into that it would be preferable.

Also what areas would you recommend i look for apartments as i dont know NYC at all. Nearer to wall street the better really!!!

Any other suggestings on anything else you can think of would be appreciated!!

I am English but currently living in Switzerland and very much looking forward to living the American dream!!! LOL

Thanks alot
    SB

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

You should not accept this job unless they are willing to help you pay for housing. The pay rate is ridiculous.

Thanks for your reply, the ins and outs of the job offer have not been ironed out yet (all gets sorted in November) so defo will be asking for housing money.

I am just trying to get as much info as possible so that i know exactly what to try and get when it comes to the crunch time.

Any other words of advice that anyone can offer would be appreciated.

many thanks
    SB

Forum Veteran

yeah without housing that will be a tough job to achieve even 10 percent of the American dream

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The pay rate is kind of low (assuming the figure Swiss Broker gave, $300-400/week is before taxes and is based on 40 hours per week, it comes out to be $7.50 - $10/hr) but keep in mind that he did say he was a trainee.

you could probably get a decent share.. it would take over half the paycheck though... and probably not very close to wall st

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    The pay rate is kind of low (assuming the figure Swiss Broker gave, $300-400/week is before taxes and is based on 40 hours per week, it comes out to be $7.50 - $10/hr) but keep in mind that he did say he was a trainee.

Yes, i am starting from the very bottom.

Its a huge career change for me, i have been working in the music/club scene for about 10 years (with some moderate success) and am currently living in Switzerland just enjoying the fruits of my labour.

I have always wanted to go to America and try to be a stock broker (im good with numbers and can sell sand to the Arabs) to make lots of $$$$$$.

I think you can find something acceptable to live in for around $1500 a month, it's not going to be glamorous or anything, but if you really want this, it can be done. Which means, making 3-400 usd a week you'd have to tap into your reserves a bit.

I am expecting you have already made sure you'll be able to get a visa for this job.

That is a standard salary for a stockbroker starting out. I know people working in NYC that get $250 a week as a trainee ,and once they close a certain amount of books and pass their series 7 then they are eligible for a commission split.

I recommend moving to Staten Island because housing prices are very affordable, great public schools, safe surroundings, and it is very close to Manhattan. I don't know if you have a family or are moving here with a boyfriend or husband, but my sister just bought a beautiful house on the South shore of Staten Island with her husband for a great price. http://www.opal-ridge.com/thumbgalle...&proppageid=41

I would recommend looking for a share through Craigslist or somewhere.

You can rent a room, off the books, for about $800 a month in Queens or Brooklyn in someone's house. Downside is, there are no real regulations and you have to go see the person before they say "yeah, I will let you stay in the same house as me even though I do not know you!"

Dress nice.

yeah, you will be spending alot of time on craigslist trust me!

sending out alot of emails. i didnt want to live anywhere other than Manhattan, but you really should look into Brooklyn, i know people who live there, and go to school in lower manhattan.

i got lucky with my place on wall street, you could find somewhere down here if you dont mind sharing with pace students.

good luck

I'm a bit surprised there are firms in the business doing so active hiring these days to pick up foreigners tho?

Quote Originally Posted by KenNYC View Post
    I'm a bit surprised there are firms in the business doing so active hiring these days to pick up foreigners tho?
    Probably because they are looking for the best people from anywhere.

Hardly.

And that's not even an option, you cannot get a work visa based on that, so even if that was true it wouldn't cut it for a foreigner.