Thread: Job outlook with a two year degree?

Default Job outlook with a two year degree?

Well, basically I love new york and really want to move there someday. I've realized I don't have many job prospects not having a degree, so I'm going back next month to finish up my AA degree in Network Adminstration. Bascially meaning I'll have a strong background in network security, lan networks, CISCO certification, A+ certification and so on and so forth. My question is basically are there any employers that would hire somebody with just an associates degree in this field? I'm not looking to be rich, just able to pay the bills and enjoy life in new york. your thoughts??? thanks everybody...

Yes, but pay and position may suffer.

Just realize that when you DO get a job, that does not mean that school is over. You can go a lot further with teh right credentials. Getting the Network Security creds may help in a smaller setup, but finishing up a degree will help all around.

GL!

Forum Veteran

get a four year, this is not the best time to be moving to NY, as the economy and state finances are in the dump

This is the exact same thing I'm going through right now.

Less than a month from now, I'll be going to school at a community college here in Iowa for two years, then hopefully being transferred to an art/theater school in New York. So...for the next ~ 2 years here in Iowa, I'm going to have "blinders" on to get my portfolio really worked up so I can move out there.

But...like the guys said above ... good luck!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

May I suggest Chicago as a fallback to get your bachelors (just in case)?

1. New York City
    2. Chicago

Those are my top-two. I wouldn't mind heading to Chicago for 2 more years just to HAVE the bachelor's degree, but like I said, New York is my first choice.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Completely understandable, plus you'll make better connections here.

I already have.

But yes, in my opinion, New York is definitely a place to network and meet people.
    Last edited by The Benniest; July 31st, 2008 at 04:55 PM.

benniest, i'm also a fellow iowan. where are you going to school? i'm up at niacc in mason city

^^ I'll be at Des Moines Area Community College in Ankeny, down by Des Moines.

We won't be to far from each other.

true true. i actually have been living in dsm for the past two years, just moved back home from my clive apt yesterday. thought about going to dmacc, but living back at home i dont have to worry about rent.

maybe in a couple years we can go in on a uhaul together, lol

You would have to get a "they"-haul then!

#1 New York. Consider The New School. It's fun and vibrant. And they have a bachelor degree program. Their campus is in Greenwich Village and they're really flexible.

I would definitely try to get a bachelors degree, unless you have working experience in whatever field you are planning on working in.

Of all people, I definitely don't want to get a bachelors degree. I work 12-13 hours a day, 7 days a week and go to school full time for my bachelors. It's a freaking drag, but I know that eventually I'll get there. The job field I want is leaning towards more International Business, so I'm also taking French. After this, I'm planning on doing a MBA program/internship with Mountbatten Institute so I can work/study abroad for a year and some odd months so I can get "experienced" with International Business. I don't even think this is preparing me enough because it's not much OJT with the job I eventually want to persue.

You just have to think of all those other people that are trying to go to New York without jobs and trying to get jobs. You have to make yourself look better so that you get hired. *shrug* I guess that's just my opinion on the topic.

I would def agree with the people recommending a Bachelor's, that being said your in a field where there is a lot of certifications and courses etc to be taken, that you can also do while working, it's one of rather few areas of employment where you can get really useful education this way.