Thread: Good place to view the Manhattan skyline from Queens?

Default Good place to view the Manhattan skyline from Queens?

Hey all, longtime lurker here, I've only posted a very few times. I've only been to NYC twice but I've always loved the city, the density, the skyscrapers, the architecture, the food, the pace, everything.

Anyway, the wife and I will be up there in September for a few days, she has never been there and I can never wait to go back. We're coming in by train and I am afraid that way we will miss one of the coolest things about a trip to NYC which is the view of Manhattan from the side. Seriously, it just makes you go "SHEESH that's big!"

Last time I drove in on the Jersey turnpike on a Friday evening and needless to say I had a good hour and a half while sitting through traffic leading into the Lincoln Tunnel to just gawk at the skyline from across the river.

Here's the thing, I dont think we will get that coming in by train and assuming we dont, I'd like her to get to see the full view of Manhattan but I dont want to take a PATH train over to Jersey, Im just kind of afraid I'd get a little lost. I figured out the subway pretty easily last I was there for a few days, though, so I figure Queens would offer the best view from the side, and I'd like to check out a few places in Queens this trip anyway, so....

Any recommendations on a good view from Queens? Doesnt have to be a popular one, it would just be cool to get a good look. A view of the whole Manhattan skyline is just awesome.

Thanks!

Why don't you just take the Staten Island Ferry across...(to Staten Island)
    it's a FREE boat ride, you get "THE VIEW" of the city, go right by the Statue of Liberty,
    and there is an aquarium in the SI terminal to look at if you have a wait to take the next ferry back?!
    Otherwise you can take the 7 train into queens and can see "The View" of the entire east side- from the train.

Take the #7 train from 42nd St. Get off at the first stop in Queens. VERNON BLVD.

You'll be at Vernon Blvd and 50th Ave. 2 blocks down 50th Ave, and you're at a new residential development called Queens West. There's a waterside park with several piers that afford a great view of Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by scumonkey View Post
    Why don't you just take the Staten Island Ferry across...(to Staten Island)
    it's a FREE boat ride, you get "THE VIEW" of the city, go right by the Statue of Liberty,
    and there is an aquarium in the SI terminal to look at if you have a wait to take the next ferry back?!
    Otherwise you can take the 7 train into queens and can see "The View" of the entire east side- from the train.
    I have taken the ferry. It is a great view, but pretty much only of Lower Manhattan. We likely will do this, but it still doesnt really convey the SIZE of Manhattan.

We're from Pittsburgh. Growing up being used to that as a skyline, the FULL view of Manhattan just really blows you away. That's why I would like to go somewhere to see it all, not just downtown.

I appreciate the advice, though, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Take the #7 train from 42nd St. Get off at the first stop in Queens. VERNON BLVD.

You'll be at Vernon Blvd and 50th Ave. 2 blocks down 50th Ave, and you're at a new residential development called Queens West. There's a waterside park with several piers that afford a great view of Midtown.
    This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I really appreciate it! Getting on at 42nd is PERFECT, too!

Thanks!

Liberty Helicopters, it just can't be beat

circle line cruise around Manhattan...

Have to say I found the circle line to be a bit too time consuming / tedious, but something like the beast / shark rides might be cool.

Took a solid 3 hours in line to get on the boat as well..

You can also look for Water Taxi Beach - it's nice little beach/bar with a great view that's right in this area.

Pulaski Bridge between LIC and Greenpoint.

We also forgot to mention that going to New Jersey is quite easy.
    Just take the PATH train to Hoboken or the ferry. The PATH station/Ferry terminal are right next to Frank Sinatra Park that has a great view of the city.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Aerial of Manhattan from the east...

jschumacher

Now that's quite the view

Def second this one. I lived in LIC and here is a picture I took from Gantry Park.

Other good spots....

Exchange Place in JC (Statue of Liberty Views)