Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New York City desire-will I survive?

Smile My New York City desire-will I survive?

Hello,
    My name is Ross and I am obsessed with New York. I have been for about the past 4 or 5 months, constantly looking up pictures, blogs, craigslisting apartments, and just reading everything I can about the place. I've spent a lot of time in San Francisco and Seattle and I love big cities, and New York just looks like the absolute best of them. I envy every person who lives there!
    I am 23 years old, I live with my parents in a very suburban setting in California(think desperate housewives or something). I was going to college out of state originally but I did not do well there at first, as I was an immature stoner. Since then I've worked for the past year and a half and took 1 class at community college over summer which I did well in. I'm about 1 semester away from completing an Associates Degree in Business Administration, possibly 2 semesters since I work full time and can only take evening classes.

I really have a strong urge to just drop everything here, move to New York City and get a job and finish my degree there. I've done the research, if I sold my car I'd have somewhere between $10k-$14k in cash to take me there including my savings. I know I can rent a room in Brooklyn or somewhere nice for $600-$700 a month, and I have 3+ years of experience doing Administrative office work so I assume the temp agencies could help me.

I have a budget all written up and I can live without using any of my savings if I get a job making about $13-15 dollars per hour, which I assume with my experience could be done. and that includes the costs of going to school for 1 or 2 classes a semester.

My parents hate the idea when I've told them before, but I really do not like this town and cannot even hang out with any people I know here anymore because theyre all drug addicts and they were making me one.

What do you guys think? Should I just stop being a wimp and do it, or would it be a really dumb decision? Personally I think it could give me a great chance to find out who I really am and I'm really motivated to work hard and finish my education there so I can one day make it big in the business world. I have no debt and just ended a 2 year relationship 8 months ago so I'm free in that aspect. Also none of my good friends live where I do in California(they're all spread out at different schools).

I really want to do it, but I also really want some input, sorry this post is so long!

I've seen a lot of people here on Wired New York request going to New York for ~ 1 week, staying in a hotel, and looking for an apartment in that time. A cheap hotel, and one close to the area you want to live in, if possible.

Also, and this may be a dumb question ... you've been to New York City before, right?

If I can some up with anything else, I'll definitely post it.

Actually I have never even spent time there amazingly enough! I've flown through there a number of times and seen it from the air and I've liked most other big cities I've been to(besides LA, craphole) and to me it just seems like NYC has the most opportunities. I hate sitting around doing nothing and having nothing to do, which is what it has been like my whole life in suburbia. I'm a very outgoing person who is good at communicating with other people and the whole vibe of the city seems like it would fit well with the type of person I am.

I love the fact that the city is constantly moving, I'm not a fan of going slow.

I suspect I should maybe visit it first, the only thing that's been holding me back is that its across the country and just checking it out would be quite expensive.

My Plan B is that since I want to move to a big city anyways, if I arrive in NYC and for some reason hate it, I could spend a few days, then fly back out to San Francisco and get a place, since I know I wouldn't mind living there. San Francisco is a little too soft for me though, you know how the quote goes. I prefer someplace that can help me excel in the business environment as well as thrive in a city with amazing culture and food and everything.

Just imagining being able to see a show on Broadway sometime, or walking past all the beautiful architecture on the way to work makes my heart ache. I've never felt such a pull to a city.

If I was younger I probably wouldn't consider it, but I've become quite a bit more mature and responsible in the past couple of years and I figure I'm 23, I might as well live life like I want to, right? I'm going to be right on track with my education so it just seems like something that would be a good experience for me, and maybe a permanent one. You only live once, right?

I would, without a doubt, at least try to visit New York before moving. It really changes the perspective of things when you finally see it. And...like you said, if you do go and "hate it", you will know that way and not have to move back all of your things.

Just my opinion.

i've been obsessed with nyc the whole time i was in high school and my first year of college...i never seriously thought about moving there until someone on these forums helped me find a school that i really wanted to go to. i applied and got a lot of it paid for... fast forward to now and i'm just waiting till next week to jump planes and move in

i think if you're young, being in school is the best/easiest? way to move to nyc.

i dunno though, hopefully i'm not too naive
    but yea. visit first for sure o_O

I moved all the way from Scotland to NY, i strongly advise a visit like Benny said, Also get as much info as possible on everything you can. Apartments, jobs etc.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Also think strongly if our desire to move here is a hoped for geographical cure. There are A LOT of drugs in this town. By all means do not move to Washington Heights.

Thanks for the advice all. I'm planning a visit probably in the next month or so and then if that works out I might take off.

I'm not looking for a geographical cure, but I am trying to excel in life as much as possible, and being a business major, NYC seems like the place to do it. Plus I really want to move to a big city, I just love the more rushed atmosphere.

I also have no problem saying no to drugs at this point. They screwed up my life pretty badly at one point and things have been MUCH better without them(my GPA is through the roof now!).

Everyday I research as much as I can about it. Its hard to find sites with information I haven't seen before at this point

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Default Another tip...

This city is really for those that are very extroverted and sociable, people that are constantly out and about. It makes it easy for you to go to different places and meet people. If you are one of those types, then this place is for you.

Even if you aren't very good in school or have an illustrous resume, you can still do well by making connections. You'll be surprised how many doors open for those that aren't exceptional skill-wise but have friends in the right places.

If you are one of those that like lots of peace and quiet and being by yourself, then this city is not for you and likely you'll be wasting lots of money being here and being frustrated at the same time.

Certainly visit before moving yes. I'm always a bit cautious with people who seem to want to go to NYC "just because it's New York" - I really think you need to have a goal and aim for being here, be it education or work. Coming here just to loiter around isn't good, I think. It's expensive and there's plenty of bad environments you can get tangled up - especially being an "immature stoner."

Not trying to discourage you, just be sure about what you want and what you'll be getting.

Forum Veteran

Moving to NY or anywhere without ever visting is just plain dumb.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Yes.

Unless it's a job transfer and you have people to help you set everything up.

Quote Originally Posted by KenNYC View Post
    Certainly visit before moving yes. I'm always a bit cautious with people who seem to want to go to NYC "just because it's New York" - I really think you need to have a goal and aim for being here, be it education or work. Coming here just to loiter around isn't good, I think. It's expensive and there's plenty of bad environments you can get tangled up - especially being an "immature stoner."

Not trying to discourage you, just be sure about what you want and what you'll be getting.

Oh I would be in school whenever I wasn't at work. If I go it will be to finish my bachelors degree at one of the schools there. Also it's more like I want to move to a big city and I've been to Seattle and SF tons of times. I love SF, but New York looks a little my style. I'm not into the "hippy" thing in SF so much.

Also I'm no longer immature or a stoner.

I will definitely be visiting first though.

And As far as being extroverted, I am very much. That is the main reason I'm moving to a big city, I hate being stuck in a suburban wasteland with no one to talk to unless you run into them at the grocery store or Starbucks. I like doing things constantly, and get bored easily.

Thanks for the advice all, with how cheap it is to fly Jetblue I think I'm going to take a trip and check it out soon

Aye, indeed not trying to tell you not to do it, just make sure you have a purpose for being here. College is a good enough reason in my book It's an expensive city to study in though, but you already know that

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

For the most part, SF is as expensive as NY and has very similar urban characteristics.

NY is just a bigger SF without cable cars, hilly terrain but with a more extensive subway system and more varied weather.

NY is also a bit more fast paced and not as liberal, although still very liberal as compared to most places.

So if you've been to SF and know how it is, then you should be able to adjust to NY very easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast