Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Love About New York?

Default What Do You Love About New York?

Hi guys

Thought id make my first thread.

Ive introduced myself briefly in the introductions bit.

My name is John and i am the world biggest New York fan.

I currently live in the UK with my wife and daughter, About 30 miles from The city of Cambridge, in a small town called Bury St Edmunds. ( i will post pics at a later date)

We have family in Brooklyn, New York ( Big Up all you Bay Ridgers)
    and we try to see them as much as possible!! (not as often as id like)

I have an unhealthy obsession with New York, everything in my house is related to New York, even down to my Solicitor (His office is in New York St) and my BBQ is "the manhattan!!"

So that leads me on to;
    What do you love about New York?

For me it everything, its the centre of the universe imo, but i adore the buildings the most, nowhere in the world do you have a collection of such incredible styles and types of architecture. It makes the city what it is!

Tell me what you love about New York!

Peas Out.!

The Smells.
    The People.
    Atmosphere on a rainy night.

I'm going to have to agree with the point Encideyamind made about the atmosphere on a rainy night. It's great!

I came out of "Hairspray" with some friends and it was downpouring with rain. We started walking down Broadway with no shoes on, trying to hail a cab back to Brooklyn. Was quite hilarious and a perfect way to end my trip.

i wish to go to NY to see
    The clean live and clean peolpe
    rain on the skyscrapers
    big streets and roads

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Years ago I spent a couple of months in downtown Billings, Montana and what I missed most of all was walking down the street with thousands of people around me.

Actually, I don't like that.

I like seeing all the people sometimes, but there is almost no place in NYC to go to be alone. Even if you find some alley (what few there are left) or park or whatever, it is hard to go strolling w/o bumping into someone.

In Suburbia, you still had people around, but if you truly wanted to be alone, you could just walk outside your door. There would be a section of woods to sit in, walk to, whatever. You could go on the school playground after hours and no-one would be there, etc etc....

I am not saying that I hate people, but sometimes when you are depressed BECAUSE of them, you just want to have a bit of time to yourself that does not require you locking yourself away from them.

But, as for NYC, the thing I am now forever spoiled on is being able to WALK to just about anything. The car is now for longer trips, or large loads, not to go say "hi" to a friend. Hoboken the same thing. Being able to walk to a restaurant, bar, park, grocery store. Hell, being able to walk/mass transit quickly into NYC!!!!

If we ever move back to the 'burbs, I think that freedom will be missed the most. And, from what I can tell from real-estate prices, many agree! (Most of the highest priced places still have some of that convenience...)

I enjoy having 50 bazzilion things to do when in the city.Something for everyone in my family.The boy's love the museum of Natural History and a taxi ride through Time Square.They also love the subway ride out to Shea(yeah we are Met's fans) the smell of the subway, as nasty as this may sound,is like gretting an old friend every time I enter.They are also mesmerized by the all the buildings as am I , we can sit for hours watching a construction site.My wife just enjoys being able to walk and shop all over without sinking her heel into mud.The sleepless nights my wife and I used to spend in the city before our son's were born are some of the fondest memories we have .

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Perchance did those sleepless nights lead to the pitter patter of little feet?

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Perchance did those sleepless nights lead to the pitter patter of little feet?
    No doubt about it.

Why do I love NYC? Let me count the ways..

1. Tons and tons of people all around me
    2. New York in summer, particularly in August when people hook up the neighborhood with the fire hydrants (all you native NYers know what I'm talking about!)
    3. I can walk around after midnight and feel safe because the streets are lit up
    4. I don't need a car to get around
    5. I hear tons of different languages on my daily commute
    6. I can go into a supermarket and ask for various ethnic foods and not be looked at like a weirdo
    7. I love my NY accent!!!
    8. Mr. Softee
    9. We're actually really, really nice people

Default Lament of an ex-resident

I do like and even admire much that is in New York. After all I called it home for "quite a spell" over a decade ago.

But fanatic I am not.

I guess I like to get away from people, all people, every so often. Then I go far out into the midst of what remains unclaimed by whichever horde that we belong to on this planet - the only requirement that it be attractive or interesting to the eye.

It's increasingly difficult to return, each time, to what is more familiar.

The density of people.

Anything that is a tiny niche, or even a party-of-one in another city or town is so large it has its own entire subculture here. There are subcultures with thousands of people here that you won't even know exists if you're not a member of their society. This can cut along either ethnic lines or (more interesting to me) simply lifestyle choices and common interest.

Also, it is unlike other American big cities in that it is a pedestrian city. There is very little car culture here (the suburbs are, I'm sure, an exception. I live in midtown Manhattan).

It is also a provincial paradox. Each neighborhood has its "Main Street". There are almost no "big box" retail stores in New York (Manhattan, in particular). So the Avenues cutting through the residential neighborhoods are lined with family owned, mom & pop stores. In many ways New York City is like one enormous small town. Or a thousand small towns all crammed together.

I like the people, everything is very convenient, I work there everyday digging the holes the will be transformed into a skyscraper, and i wished i lived there because im getting sick of sitting in traffic for 2hrs to get home to Jackson NJ.

^ If everyone felt as you do, all the following problems would be solved: global warming, dependence on foreign oil, trade deficit, disappearance of the countryside.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ If everyone felt as you do, all the following problems would be solved: global warming, dependence on foreign oil, trade deficit, disappearance of the countryside.
    Not really.

Because a lot do feel like he does, they just can't afford what they also want. A place that is "big enough" by our own opulent modern standards to live in and (possibly) raise a family.

What is the cost of owning a place, even co-op, within 30 minutes of Midtown by mass transit? What if that place was a 3 BR 2 Bath?

It is not an easy task to find something like that, as many have wanted it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast