Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could i make my way in NY as a Ceramic Wall/Floor tiler?

Default Could i make my way in NY as a Ceramic Wall/Floor tiler?

Hey guys

Could i survive in NY on the wage of a Ceramic Wall/ Floor Tiler.

I currently work in the uk as one, and get by reasonably, but my long term goal is to one day move to NY, how easy is it to get work as a Tiler, and what are the going rates for Tilers in NY?

Any help would be appreciated!

John

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

While you have a skill that's in demand, much of this type of work has been taken over by illegal aliens, so the wage has dropped. I'm guessing that the tiler in my building makes about $12.00 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    While you have a skill that's in demand, much of this type of work has been taken over by illegal aliens, so the wage has dropped. I'm guessing that the tiler in my building makes about $12.00 an hour.
    Thats not great.
    There must be contract companies that are not allowed to hire illegals?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Possibly new buildings and government buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Possibly new buildings and government buildings.
    Cool, any ideas who i would need to contact?
    Shot in the dark i know.

Thanks

My sense is that a large number of labor jobs in NYC are now being done by immigrants, whether they be from areas south of the US, Eastern Europe or the Far East.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that many of those workers are allowed entry and the ability to work under some government agreement whereby industry lobbyists have claimed Americans no longer are willing to do such work -- and therefore workers from other countries are needed to fill the gap. Of course such talk is BS and is only a way for employers to get around such mundane things as labor laws, minimum wage laws, compensation laws, worker safety laws and anything else that might protect a worker from being exploited.

There is no way you will get a visa for that type of work, its hard enough when you have a professional degree.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Did you have trouble getting one, alonzo?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Did you have trouble getting one, alonzo?
    sounds like it!!

I had, according to my lawyer, a perfect application but the US government thinks the best way to get the best and brightest immigrants is to pull applications out of a big hat. So i missed out on the quota (65,000 places out of 100s of thousands of applicants). Luckily however I had decided I would pull out anyway and return to college.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

So then it doesn't matter what type of work or professional degree one has.

Anyone has as much of a chance to get selected as anyone else (that puts in an application of course).

Is that correct?

No you must have a degree to be eligible. Otherwise you would be in the unskilled catagory. Meaning that the US isnt willing to let people in when there are plenty of people in the US already who could do those jobs. Obviously its less cut and dry than that but thats basically it. Bachelors or less and i cant forsee anyway of being successful short of marrying a US citizen.

There are 65,000 H1B visas (like alonzo said) that are given out every year, on top of that there are 20,000 extra H1Bs which are given to people with masters or doctor degrees from an American University (all other masters and doctors are applying for the former 65k). However, the actual number of H1Bs given out every year has been around 110k to 125k, so how the heck they make that math go up, I have no idea. I'm guessing there's quite a few 'backdoors' for people in the know or with a good immigration lawyer.

As for one addition to alonzo's post; bachelors in computer sciences have a relatively good chance, other bachelors are as he says a long shot at best. Health personnel such as nurses also have some better chances than others.

I do not think that he is coming in on a tiler's work visa alone. Maybe there is a petition involved? Fiancee maybe or a parent or something?

He wont get a work visa without being married to a citizen or related to one in whatever fashion to make him eligible to work in the US.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast