Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Could i make my way in NY as a Ceramic Wall/Floor tiler?

You wouldn't get to choose where you're stationed. Are you a gambling man?

Quote Originally Posted by smellslikeabid View Post
    Ive just re-read this, is this still an option?

Id happily serve the military for a few years, if i was stationed in or around new york?
    It's not like the military back home man. You'd as quickly end up in Afghanistan. (Iran, North Korea, Libya and several other candidates could easily come into play in the coming years).

Regardless, there is no option available for an immigrant to simply apply to the military in return for legal status.

Getting legal here is the main issue, and unfortunately it's almost impossible for someone in your shoes. If you knew a company here, offering a job, and you had money and time, you could apply for a visa as a "specialty worker". I've helped people do this in the past but it's tedious, expensive and temporary.

Beyond coming here and flying under the radar (i.e. worst wage levels). Options are limited.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishInNYC View Post
    It's not like the military back home man. You'd as quickly end up in Afghanistan. (Iran, North Korea, Libya and several other candidates could easily come into play in the coming years).

Regardless, there is no option available for an immigrant to simply apply to the military in return for legal status.

Getting legal here is the main issue, and unfortunately it's almost impossible for someone in your shoes. If you knew a company here, offering a job, and you had money and time, you could apply for a visa as a "specialty worker". I've helped people do this in the past but it's tedious, expensive and temporary.

Beyond coming here and flying under the radar (i.e. worst wage levels). Options are limited.
    Then how do so many people come and live in NY then?
    There must be easy ways, surely the Guvornment wants able bodied, hard working imigrants who will give rather than take away from the system?
    What about setting up a business?

Its more tax dollars in the guvornments pockets surely?

What about moving in with relatives?
    Is there different rules guvorning that?

Also, is there more of an option, say if i moved to New Jersey, say within 70 miles of NYC?

John.

It's not about where you live or who with. The legality of being in the country for an extended period of time is a federal issue, not state by state.

The government absolutely wants able bodied, hardworking people...problem is, there are millions of them trying to get in.

If you were trying to set up a business, that is an option. You can apply for an "E" visa for investors. It has drawbacks though, such as lawyer involvement and the need to have $75,000 in your bank account for a period of time during the application. It can be renewed indefinitely, I believe.

In terms of the "many people" who come and live in NY you have large populations of illegal immigrants, you have large populations of people from countries who are eligible for the green card lottery (UK is not eligible due to the volume of immigrants in the previous 5 years). Chinese, Bangladeshi, Indian and other populations have swelled in the NY area with these green card handouts....now they're closed out of that option.

You further have many people sponsored on temporary work visas by multinational companies.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade John, I've clambered through the visa and green card maze for almost 12 years...it's tedious, expensive but necessary.

I suggest if you are very serious about this, finding a lawyer/solicitor in the UK who specializes in US based visa programs. I have no doubt there are many of them. It's worth the fee to sit with one and lay out the possibilities.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123