Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Another Miami Beach Parking Garage

Default Just Another Miami Beach Parking Garage

Or maybe not.

In the heart of Miami Beach's world famous art deco historic district, and on one of the few remaining parking lots in South Beach, has risen a controversial development that some claim is nothing more than a glorified parking garage with retail, while others claim it is a sculptural, architectural embodiment of the beach's history and modern aspirations.

Designed by Swiss firm Heroz & deMueron, the structure features integrated parking, retail, restaurant, and residential in an ever-changing, evolving design. Built at the Southern edge of Lincoln Road, the development also includes a one block expansion of the Lapidus designed Lincoln Road Mall (original designer of the famous Fountainbleu Resort).

Initial renderings:

A Lincoln Rd bookend.

Ground floor retail on the newly expanded mall, including New York's much loved Shake Shack. Manhattanization is nothing new to Miami Beach, even with it's strictly enforced height limits and preservation.

The black and white wavy surface is a nod to the original Lapidus design. The surface material, crushed stone, along with the banyan and cypress trees, reflects a modern trend in Florida design focused on native and sustainable development.

image courtesy of Roark at skyscrapercity

Miami Beach has the world's greatest parking garages; and that is one of the main reasons that it continues to function as a CITY. That means people walk; that's right: as in New York or Boston.

Some of Miami Beach's garages are camouflaged as mountainsides oozing with greenery, others pretend to be apartment buildings. But they all have this in common: ground-floor retail. That's what keeps Miami Beach walkable. And when Miami Beach gets rid of its last grade-level parking lot, it will certainly deserve the title of Best Smallish City in the U.S.A.

Its present competitors are Charleston and Savannah, both of which suffer from a more severe case of parkinglotitis.

Don't know what I think of Herzog & DeMeuron's opus; I have a suspicion it misses the essence of Miami Beach.

But its urban character is so strong that it can take a little abuse.

What do the Swiss know about the Tropics, anyway?

Last edited by ablarc; January 13th, 2010 at 04:45 PM.

How can anything that encourages cars, creating parking spaces in this instance, be considered a contributor to a walkable city? Surely an ugly car park would do the same?

But it's gonna have a Shake Shack!

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Miami Beach has the world's greatest parking garages; and that is one of the main reasons that it continues to function as a CITY. That means people walk; that's right: as in New York or Boston.
    I agree.

New York has plenty of cars and parking spaces, and is still walkable. Cars and walkability aren't mutually exclusive. The difference is how you store the cars.

I like the concept. Should have done it with the garages at Hunters Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    How can anything that encourages cars, creating parking spaces in this instance, be considered a contributor to a walkable city? Surely an ugly car park would do the same?
    Zip has the answer to your question in Post#6.

How can anything that encourages cars, creating parking spaces in this instance, be considered a contributor to a walkable city?
    Simple. The inability to car park clogs streets and causes congestion. Alternatively, the car gets parked quick and easy and it's owner is out on the walkable, urban streets of Miami Beach, starting at the ground floor of the structure he's parked in. Do you see the entrance to the garage in these pictures? Pedestrians don't either.

Surely an ugly car park would do the same?
    No, never.

Public transport in an American city of Miami Beach's size never works. Miami Beach has no traffic problem. Cars are bumper-to-bumper along the beach front along Ocean Drive, but that's exactly what people want. It allows them to ogle the flesh on parade at walking speed and in air-conditioned comfort. You want to actually connect? Just roll your window down.

Unlike Savannah or Charleston, Miami Beach is a small city in a larger metro. Direct connections to downtown, points North and South, and the airport would most definitely work in Miami Beach's favor. Politics is keeping trains off the beach.
    Last edited by Ebryan; January 13th, 2010 at 11:59 PM.

It is necessary. When I go to Miami I drive my car. When I go to Paris, Madrid or Moscow I never drive the car, I use a "chofer" (driver). Miami is like Monte Carlo, Marbella, Mallorca, Acapulco, Cancun or Dubai, a city to enjoy and where it is important to "see and be seen". This Parking is the same concept, ... if I buy a Ferrari for driving on the streets of Miami need to display that is mine also when I park it. As Cubans in Miami say: "si me lo gasto hermano, quiero que me luzca y que todo el mundo sepa que es mio..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ebryan View Post
    Unlike Savannah or Charleston, Miami Beach is a small city in a larger metro.
    Yes, in that regard it resembles Hoboken, also a walkable city.

Direct connections to downtown, points North and South, and the airport would most definitely work in Miami Beach's favor.
    There's much more incentive, however, for Hobokenites to hop on a train to Manhattan, where many of them work. Neither residents of Miami Beach nor its tourists have much incentive to commute to Miami. I guess the folks who make the beds in Miami Beach hotels live in Miami, where more affordable housing can be found.

As in New York, Miami Beach's cabs are both yellow and ubiquitous.

Unlike Hoboken, Miami Beach is the cultural center of it's entire metro, consequently the influx of tourists and residents to the beach would be greatly enhanced by mass transit options.

Last I heard Miami commuter and metro trains were at a record high for ridership. Miami Beach has always been a missing link.

Unlike Hoboken, Miami Beach is the cultural center of it's entire metro, consequently the influx of tourists and residents to the beach would be greatly enhanced by mass transit options.

Last I heard Miami commuter and metro trains were at a record high for ridership. Miami Beach has always been a missing link.
    What you're sort-of saying is that Miami is actually a suburb of Miami Beach.

I agree.

...the influx of tourists and residents to the beach would be greatly enhanced by mass transit options.

...Miami Beach has always been a missing link.
    Sort of like New Yorkers taking the subway to Coney Island?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Sort of like New Yorkers taking the subway to Coney Island?
    I would think of it more as New Yorkers taking the subway to Brooklyn proper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast