Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doha, Qatar

Doha, Abu Dhabi and Dubai are just sprouting in large masses.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post

My firm submitted a design competition entry. I had to hand deliver a portion of it.
    Was fluency in Qatar-ese a requirement for that job?

If not, then I'd like to submit my resume for the next time a long-distance courier is needed

(ps: my bad -- I should have written Arabic for the language of Qatar)

I very much doubt it Lofter, a friend of mine (British born Cypriot) has zero Arabic and he is in an important role in a major project there.

AMAZING amount of construction, not to mention some pretty cool looking buildings. What would it be like to work there?

Banned Member

It's very hot and nearly everyone in the country is highly educated with an understanding, if not fluency, of English.

Much of the project related work is being executred by foreign firms in a chain of command that leads to the Qatar contracted Program Manager and the to the Qatar companies. Since most are National companies, neraly every project is similar to working on a GSA or Dormitory Authority Project. They LOVE paperwork, forms, and checklists. It's exhaustive.

Buy the way, gasoline is about 80 cents per gallon there and electricity is heavily subsidized.

It certainly seems to be poised to become a major education hub. Many U.S. Universities have outposts at Education City in Doha, which is an incredible campus of educational and research buildings being design by a "Who's Who" of starchitects and world-renowned firms. An incredible development beyond the West Bay area portrayed in the photos I posted.

I have a powerpoint presentation of the developmwent, but it is simply too big to upload.

Despite the lack of urban planning, the strategic planning for the country and diversification of its economy is quite impressive.

wow, love the buildings, love the skyline. The Gulf really is booming.

Default FIRE at Villagio Mall in Doha Qatar

FIRE at Villagio Mall in Doha Qatar

19 Dead -- 13 of those children in the Gympanzee nursery, apparently where there was inadequate egress. Also talk of lack of sprinklers and faulty fire alarms with little to no emergency plan put into effect ...

Doha News
    May 28, 2012

A fire broke out at the Villaggio Mall around 11am this morning, according to witnesses. Details are still coming out, and the extent of the damage is still unclear. Here is the latest we have on the blaze.

UPDATE | 7:16 pm:The press conference started very late. It’s under way now.The Minister of Health was just speaking in Arabic. We understand he said 13 children were killed in the fire today, along with 4 teachers and two Civil Defense workers. That’s a total of 19 deaths.

UPDATE
    | 7:26 pm:A little more detail on the deaths. Of the 13 children killed, seven were girls and six were boys. The fire reportedly started in Gympanzee, the children’s nursery at the mall, but isn’t clear what set it off.Ambulances reportedly arrived at the scene in only eight minutes, and some 180 emergency workers were deployed to deal with the fire.Also, there were 17 people injured, mostly emergency workers.

UPDATE
    | 7:41 pm:Officials say no list of casualties will be offered as “there is no added value,” but that nationalities of those killed included “Europeans, Japanese, Spanish and others.” We’ve also seen reports that a South African child was amongst the dead.When Al Jazeera English reporter Stefanie Dekker asked if it was true that alarms and sprinklers didn’t work in the mall, the response was that some malfunctioned, and the cause of that is being investigated.As for how long Villaggio Mall will be closed, Doha News was told that they still don’t know, as damages and reasons behind the fire are still being investigated.UPDATE | 8:02 pm:The press conference is over. No mall representatives were present to answer any questions, but officials have said that firefighters’ efforts were initially thwarted by the heavy smoke and heat.They also said that rescue teams initially did not know that those trapped inside the mall were children. Additionally, a lack of clear floor plans, visible emergency exits and a false alarm from the day before inhibited efforts to save those inside.For a good recap of the conference, also see ILoveQatar.net’s Q&A.

Forum Veteran

Sad news from Qatar !.
    Four Spanish children among the victims of the fire on the Mall's nursery...
    Rest in Peace !

Default Zaha Hadid: The Georgia O'Keefe of Architecture

That ^ is a grand design for what's essentially a very small stadium:

... During the tournament the venue will accommodate 40,000 spectators, but this will be reduced to 20,000 once the competition is over. Left-over seats will then be removed and shipped to developing countries ...

Exactly what developing countries need.

That makes sense. The seats, after all, will be built by slaves from developing countries.

Calarava has been commissioned to build a 6-mile continuous structure of Bridges/Tunnels/Promenade/Gondola/Aquarium/Causeway/Boat Dock/Park.

Such a pretty musical background too. Nonetheless this project is effing nuts....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12