Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Censorship

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Speaking for myself

I try to give an explanation to posters when I give an infraction, and even sometimes for edits, depending on the subject matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    See above. The answer is the same.

You'll just have to filter out the moderator-responses from the general-population responses.
    Ill have my assistant do that.

Any answer on when post-editing began?

Don't know exactly, but it's been years.

I can say definitely it wasnt done when I joined because I can remember noticing when it began. My point in bringing this up is that the moderators managed fine when posts couldnt be edited.

^
    No, what happened was that we referred all the problems to Edward, and he did all the editing , deleting, and banning.

The forum was much smaller back then. Do you think Edward should do it all himself?

Interesting I didnt know that. I do remember when the message began appearing at the bottom of the post saying edited: blah blah blah. Which is when moderators obtained this ability I would guess.

No and I said nothing of the sort. If there is too much work for existing moderators then more should be recruited, the forum shouldnt suffer because there arent enough moderators.

The Dude Abides

So someone made a comment that used the term for "female dog" in describing another human being. Doesn't everyone hear/read/think this term at least once a day and NOT get offended?

Forum Veteran

^
    No, what happened was that we referred all the problems to Edward, and he did all the editing , deleting, and banning.

The forum was much smaller back then. Do you think Edward should do it all himself?
    I dont think editing should happen at all actually. Id rather just have my posting deleted then edited as i dont want my words rearranged.

In my postings place id like a note as to why it was refused and id be cool with it since I was given a reason but to have my statement changed by someone I dont know, that i dont like.

Well, maybe the forum needs more moderators, but you do realize that it would add more diverse opinions to what we have now.

I was going to post this in the other moderating incident with Kris and MidtownGuy, but the moderators don't usually get too involved in situations involving other moderators (except in private).

The main reason, in my opinion, is what has been overlooked in these discussions: the moderators have to sometimes act outside themselves.

I know who I am and I'm comfortable with that person, but I don't always know what Edward wants, or what everyone else wants. So while the general population can use their own experience to judge what's appropriate, I sometimes have to venture into unfamiliar, and uncomfortable, territory.

I'll use three recent examples to illustrate a point; I won't note them, just refer to them. In none of them would I have considered it a big deal (like I've never exchanged the word asshole with anyone.)

In the second and third incidents, personal remarks were made, and I posted a comment - to advise the offender, and send a message to others. In both cases, it was noted, in one the person edited his own post.

My response was somewhat influenced by an earlier incident. I came across an inappropriate remark, but it was made many posts earlier, and the conversation had moved on. I reasoned it had just died out, or been resolved by PM.

I posted on the thread about the main topic, and encountered hostility from the person who was the object of the insult. I thought it was about the thread topic, and after several of these replies, made it known to the poster. I received a PM stating, "And this is OK?" (the original insult).

So I'm supposed to know how people feel?

------------------------------------------

Directly relating to the incident that spawned this thread - I don't see the problem with the word bitch

But as to the topic itself - it's a lot more complicated.
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; September 8th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    I dont think editing should happen at all actually. Id rather just have my posting deleted then edited as i dont want my words rearranged.
    Do you think everyone is in agreement with that? Because it would be easier for me to just nuke posts with objectionable material, but I've gotten some nice replies for doing that.

Quite a while ago in (I think) the London Projects thread, a poster would, on a weekly basis, post photos. Some of them were very large, so I edited them, correcting only those that were over the limit, which took some time. I left an explanation in the edit box. The same thing happened three times, and on the third edit, I sent a PM to the poster, advising him of the format rules, and since it was taking a lot of time to edit his long posts, I would delete them in the future.

I get a PM back, and now I'm Dr. Goebbels promoting fascism at WNY.

-------------------------------

There are members here with thousands of posts for which I've not deleted or edited one. Why is that?

Maybe they consider before hitting SUBMIT.

I feel the same as Kliq, I dont want my words rearranged by someone else to be something other than I wanted it too. This point the is Id opinion like on moderator's.
    Last edited by NYatKNIGHT; September 8th, 2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: rearranged words - sorry, couldn't resist!

I'd have to know what the post was, and how it was edited.

I usually remove entire sentences. If it's central to the post, then all of it goes.

For me, calling a public figure an asshole is not a problem, but say it to a forum member, and you're going to hear about it.

That goes for a-hole, a$$hole, etc.

But I have to say that the words themselves can become a problem if they get too pervasive, or if the tone of one thread starts to influence others. A post that would have been borderline acceptable on the MILF thread was posted on the Race for the White House thread, where it was completely inappropriate. The poster is a veteran, and should have known better.

The Dude Abides

For me, calling a public figure an asshole is not a problem, but say it to a forum member, and you're going to hear about it.
    I gather, from this, that the solution to censory ambiguity lies in making Sarah Palin an honorary member of the forum. Case closed.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Question

Maybe we could make her our heartthrob/mascot.

If things go badly on Nov 4th, we'll probably be shut down as a subversive website.

All that uppity talk about urban planning. Why, it sounds Commie, like community-organizer.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast