Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Censorship

Man, I'd love to be her First Dude on the side.

Re: editing & notations

I often edit my own posts -- and don't fill in the "why" blank. I re-read what I post and then make changes quickly -- no one knows I've done it, because I don't explain the edit. I believe that if a Mod gets to a post within (I think) 5 minutes of the questionable language being posted and makes a change then most likely only the poster would be aware (as no italicized explanation will appear at the bottom of the post). That's just as it should be.

I bring this up because good editing is invisible. Some of our prior problems with editing here at WNY were because a Mod Went Wild [ ] and started re-formulating entire threads. That was unacceptable and everyone was up in arms. But it got taken care of.

I've done some writing where an Editor is in charge. Rarely am I thrilled when the Editor sees fit to "improve" my work. But that's part of the package and you just have to suck it up.

Self-policing is the best policy. But when folks forget to do that -- or don't care -- then they force another to clean up the "mess".

The WNY Forum is a class joint. Just imagine what a stinky place it would be if the Edward & the Mods [ ] weren't so diligent.

Pewwww ...

My hat's off to all ye Mods --

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Thanks lofter -

We're just human. I make my share of mistakes -

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    I feel the same as Kliq, I dont want my words rearranged by someone else to be something other than I wanted it too. This point the is Id opinion like on moderator's.
    This is a case in point, now NY KNight did it for a joke I assume but I dont want my words changed around or edited down. I know a policy cant be made for just one person but Id rather my posts which are offensive just be taken down. Editing of ones writing is in my opinion unethical without that persons knowledge.
    Last edited by kliq6; September 9th, 2008 at 09:26 AM.

Default Duly noted.

I will try to remember this to the best of my ability.

How is it unethical if an exsiting Rule of the Forum is that language judged detrimental to the Forum may be edited (i.e.: changed or removed)?

As has been pointed out before this is a Private Forum -- and, in essence, we are all guests.

The main adjustment would seem to be a consensus among the Mods regarding what is allowable and what is not.

But ultimately that ^ comes down to an individual judgment call in the moment. Folks can respond to editing and ask for a review & re-instatement (such as happened with Fabrizio in the case of the "bitch").

Perfect? Nope. But it seems to work to a great degree.

If one doesn't like how a post has been edited then one always has the option of going back and deleting one's own post.

Forum Veteran

ill stand corrected if that's true Lofter and ill be honest that the rules of this forum ive not looked at in many years. But its more a general point, can you honestly tell me you like that fact that strangers can just go in and rearrange, reword and do whatnot to your statements, including changing facts to fiction.

Im sorry but this is something that I truly feel is just not right and very un-American. The point of blogs and forums are to let people express opinions and ideas, not to have said opinions and ideas rewritten by someone else. Deletion of a offensive posts fair, rewording one is not.

After reading the forum rules if it does say clearly that a post can be reword ill post a correction then never post here again as this is a issue im very serious about and ill not be part of.

^
    Maybe we need a clarification by an expert on copyright law as it applies to internet forum posts.

As far as I know, there is an implied copyright for material posted that is already under copyright. That would include the intellectual property of the poster. However, for a well constructed post to be considered intellectual property, the identity of the author would have to be known, and copyright established.

I doubt that casual posts carry any copyright on a forum.

It came up on another thread about deleting accounts, that it would be easier than the person deleting their posts one-by-one. Actually, when you delete a post, it remains in the database, and can be retrieved and undeleted.

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6 View Post
    ill stand corrected if that's true Lofter and ill be honest that the rules of this forum ive not looked at in many years. But its more a general point, can you honestly tell me you like that fact that strangers can just go in and rearrange, reword and do whatnot to your statements, including changing facts to fiction.
    Some of us, myself included, can't comment on this without knowing what was posted, and how it was rearranged, and changed from fact to fiction.

Post the original here.

Forum Veteran

Default Its not about my posts its the overall point

its not about me or anyone of my posts. I don't like looking at the forum and seeing other people editing others posts, its just not right. Its happened to me a few times but enough is enough at this point, people have the right to say what they want as long as they are not preaching hate and violence towards anyone.

If this rule is in the forum guide, then im sorry I didn't know about it sooner because I wouldn't have stuck around this long.

Question

kliq, regarding your post #52, what do you mean by 'strangers'? Most of us have been here for quite some time. IMO the strangers would be lurkers and newbies.

Forum Veteran

strangers in terms of I don't personally know you from Adam so I have a hard time with people I don't know particularly changing my words around. But in the end that's a wrong way for me to put it, I don't want anyone from my parents, to my wife to my friends being able to change what I say, my word is my truth to myself and it cant be edited.

Plus it has nothing to do with how long people have been around here, ive been on this site longer then most people including some moderators and I don't edit peoples posts, I respect what each person says even if I don't agree with it. Thats what free speech is!

Its simple to me, that's the forums rules and I respect that but it does not mean I have continue taking part in it.

Well maybe that's the end of that.

So you have no basis, only speculation, that posts are being rearranged. To my knowledge, the only moderator that was doing that has been removed.

people have the right to say what they want as long as they are not preaching hate and violence towards anyone.
    So someone can post nude photos?

Its happened to me a few times but enough is enough at this point.
    What's happened to you? Give an example - what was changed to what?

You're speaking in ignorance, and you're keeping us in ignorance.

I'll add that if anyone is not satisfied with the edit, they can delete the entire post themselves.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast