Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative formatting

Default Creative formatting

Am I being picky? Is this a non-issue?

Giant oversized type, screaming headlines, acres of white space...a 3 foot-tall post all for a cute article about cooking ribs on the engine of a Saab.

Poster replies and comments, in good ol' normal-sized type, justified to left, in the default formatting of WiredNY, get very lost in the shuffle.... crushed by the next screen real-estate eating article. Where we would normaly get to see a few posts at the same time on a good-sized screen... we now see one. Or maybe half of one.

Those threads wind up looking and feeling like personal blogs, repelling the flow of conversation. The content is wonderful, but the blog-style formatting is off-putting... and in fact, if you notice, they seem to get much less conversation action.

What to do?

As far as I can determine for formatting, you are.

Let me cite "Posting Guidelines" within Forum Rules of Conduct:

• No commercial messages of any kind, or advertisements are allowed. If you are unsure whether your post is appropriate, please contact one of the moderators. Inappropriate messages would be deleted without notification.
    • Stay on topic. Read the thread subject and the first post, and if you are replying to the post, make sure it is relevant.
    • When creating a new thread, have a meaningful and descriptive subject line.
    • Use English language. Non-English posts or sentences would be deleted.
    • Use proper grammar. A sentence starts with a capital letter and ends with a period.
    • The use of foul language on this forum is not allowed.
    • Make use of Search function.
    • Do not quote an entire post – only relevant part. Remove any links to images in quotes.
    • Do not post images wider that 800 pixels. If the image is wider, post it as a link.
    • When quoting/posting copyrighted material, you must include author, copyright statement and a link to the source.

Please tell me where the restriction lies? If not here where?

It appears that among our posters there are several that use large fonts - note the World Skyscrapers section. Not one but several posters there have used large fonts. Your specificity seems to relate to a personal vendetta. But if it is not turned toward one forum member where else does it apply?

Oh boy... uh... no, no personal vendetta. Relax.

As for forum rules against such formatting: there are none.

We also had a similar issue with a poster who constantly posted animated gifs of skunks and cats and dancing bears. There are no rules against doing so.

It was pointed out to her that visually her animated gifs did not jive well with the forum (small well thought-out doses present no prob).

Despite that fact that there are no rules against it: the poster had the graciousness to listen and tone her "creativity" down.

Specifically, may I ask, what part of the creativity was toned down?

The middle part.

The moderators have been aware of this conflict it unfolded in other threads.

It was suggested that we start a thread to discuss the issue, but not offer our own opinions until a representative number of members have weighed in.

It's already happened, so have at it:

Should the main body of all posts conform to a forum standard (font, color, size). This would not interfere with highlighted items (titles, quotes. etc).

Exclamation Creative Formating

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Please tell me where the restriction lies? If not here where?

It appears that among our posters there are several that use large fonts - note the World Skyscrapers section. Not one but several posters there have used large fonts. Your specificity seems to relate to a personal vendetta. But if it is not turned toward one forum member where else does it apply?

I for one do not have a problem with your creative formating style: on the contrary I enjoy seeing them and read most of what you post - there sure easy to spot.

Banned Member

I like the emphasis on areas that the poster thinks is of particular importance and I can appreciate the work that goes into formatting.

I would encourage posters to consider that a lot of us enjoy reading the forum on our lunch breaks or during down time at work. The oversized text and extremely large headlines make it impossible to read this site in a discreet manner. Extra larger headlines - particularly those of a political nature make it too provocative to read in a work environment.

I can't recall anyone having any kind of issue over the content of larger font posts, but a number of people have expressed a dislike of the larger font itself.

For me, I've come to recognize and appreciate posting etiquette. Etiquette is not something that is a written rule. It is a protocol in courtesy that is based on custom and traditions.

I think emphasis can be made to content without enlarged font. If one wants to disregard this etiquette, then it sets a precedent for others, with even bolder ways of wanting to making point, will do so with no consideration for the forum community in general.

Do you
    waNt to see eVEry
    other post
    in fOnts
    like this?

We have experienced similar issues with animation and GIFs. I think it dumbs down the forum and is often used as a substitute for actual dialogue.

This has nothing to do with the freedom to contrary points of view or challenging ideas. It has to do with how it is presented. A strongly expressed idea or well thought out article will get responses on its own merit. Posts that receive criticism for the perceived over use of style should take an objective stance and see that their message is getting muddied - all based on style. I think that in some cases we are seeing style compete directly with substance and, unfortunately, style is losing folks who prefer substance.

I believe you once left a post shortly after mine where you suggested that we all return to a uniform font after all that raucous posting during the election. I see that as being the beginning of this recent tiff over formatting issues.

Zippy just stated that Moderators would not offer their opinions on this. You just did ... again.

At least we now have two Moderators that balance off each other - I hope it ends there.

Not meaning to stir the pot .....
    you said:
    Zippy just stated that Moderators would not offer their opinions on this.
    However Zippy actually said:
    ...but not offer our own opinions until a representative number of members have weighed in.

It's already happened, so have at it:
    While I actually don't mind the colours, and the Oversize... sometimes, when I see too much of it on a page, I do tend to ignore all of it
    and just look for a different post- regardless of the quality of the content- some font colours tend to hurt/strain my eyes.

scumonkey, you are absolute right, and it was something I could have double checked on before I posted. But granting that important nuance, that Moderators will eventually have a chance to weigh in, what about the timing?

Even though we don't know what the actual threshold number is on this subject, it probably wouldn't have been reached this soon. Don't you agree?

Default Creative Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Even though we don't know what the actual threshold number is on this subject, it probably wouldn't have been reached this soon. Don't you agree?
    There is a large number of members (thousands) who view these forums on a frequent basis: but only a few dozen "regulars" who post commentary. There is also a large number (tens of thousands) of visitors to the Wired New York website.

I do not think we are going to be getting many - and certainly not a "majority" - of the membership posting their views on this matter. My guess is that most viewers (like myself) enjoy your "graphics" and/or don't mind seeing them.

It's your call- you've got my opinion.
    Last edited by infoshare; December 27th, 2008 at 10:05 AM.

I think I'll take my cue from that font you are using to break out of the monotony of our host's call to uniformity.

<<<<< I am beginning to feel less claustrophobic already! >>>>>

Enough fresh air ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast