Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Elsewhere

Default Elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    I have decided the best course of action is to lock this thread. [The Manifesto of Ascendancy...]
    Best for whom?

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    Further discussion can continue elsewhere.
    This is elsewhere.

Elsewhere... like:

www.cats.com

or

www.bitterwaitress.com

or

http://www.meet-an-inmate.com/

I'm sure there are so many more appropriate web sites out there that need moderators.

I never got a chance to see the pre-edited post, so I would like for it to be posted.

An offensive remark isn't offensive if its offensiveness is being debated.

So, out with it.

Default Google cache is your friend.

Here is the original post. Naughty words ineffectively censored for the faint of heart. (highlight to read).

Excellent points were made, but in the end this guy is an apologist for these two people, trying to somehow elevate them beyond the fact that they are or were a part of one of the worst administrations with the absolute worst foreign policy decisions ever made. Powell went into the U.N. and presented lies. Condi is hardly an independent thinker.
    He's not an apologist for their policies; that's just something you're imputing to him. Your baggage, not his.

He admires the fact that they made successes of themselves without playing the nigger game.

And he sees that as the sine qua non of genuine black liberation.

And he's absolutely right.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Thank you dtolman.

The edited word was not put into quotations, as Punzie had the decency to do. The current sentence has the same meaning as the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    The current sentence has the same meaning as the old one.
    No, it doesn't. "Playing the game" is something different.

Listen: we are adult enough to know that the word, in the context of the thread, makes sense and causes no harm.

If however, even in this context, the word breaks a WiredNY policy then that should be explained: policy is policy.

The word could even then be substituted by the accepted term "n-word"... if need be. And I think the posters would understand.... perhaps not agree, but understand.

But IMHO: just going in and editing out words...and then playing a guessing game... Ritz Crackers and all... and then locking the thread etc. is a poor way of handling the issue.

And haven't we been over this stuff before?

The locking of that thread is absolutely PATHETIC. Someone didn't like being challenged so they locked the thread. Sad. Personal involvement should have no place in moderation.

ablarc, is the 'game' referred to the same as what J.C. Watts meant by the phrase “race-hustling poverty pimp[ing]?” Meaning:
    "[Race-hustling poverty pimps] talk a lot about slavery, but they're perfectly happy to have just moved us to another plantation. What scares them the most is that Black people might break out of that racial-group thing and start thinking for themselves."

Is "race pimping" an acceptable substitute? Such as:
    He admires the fact that they made successes of themselves without playing the race pimping game.

Given that The n-word was the title of a scholarly article, published in a widely read magazine, that was the basis for the thread title; I don't see what the big deal is.

I suppose if I had to make an edit, I would have used italics, but I must make it clear - I don't think it's a good idea to partially edit a post. I've never done it, except for format.

I have yelled at people for saying certain things, though.

I suppose the best way to judge the edit is to take it from the viewpoint of a first-time visitor. To do that, the tone of the entire thread should be evaluated. Nothing at all racist about it. But if you're upset by the word itself, you're going to be offended right from the go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasonik View Post
    Is "race pimping" an acceptable substitute? Such as: He admires the fact that they made successes of themselves without playing the race pimping game.
    OK, I guess, for those addicted to euphemism; but Ridley's choice of words is easier for most folks to understand in context.

Compare:

Quote Originally Posted by John Ridley
    In a particularly ugly rant, Harry Belafonte infamously alluded to Powell as being a house nigger.
    In a particularly ugly rant, Harry Belafonte infamously alluded to Powell as being a house race pimp.

A bit self-conscious, no? And not all that communicative.

Zippy has the last word:

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    ...if you're upset by the word itself, you're going to be offended right from the go.

Agreed. Though 'race-traitor' or 'uncle Tom' or even 'token' would suffice for your example -- though the demeaning pall of ownership is mostly absent with these terms.

I'm trying to deconstruct the need to use the word, not be an apologist for its abolition. I would have to agree with Ridley, in that it connotes a certain harm that is needed when discussing such a fraught topic as this country's tortured race relations.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ridley
    I have no qualm about using the word nigger. It is a word. It is in the English lexicon, and no amount of political correctness, no amputation into "the n-word"—as if by the castration of a few letters we should then be able to conceptualize its meaning without feeling its sting—will remove it from reality.

^ "Race-traitor" comes with unwelcome baggage. What, for example, is its opposite? Race-patriot?

The opposite of "race-traitor" is "race-pimp," not linguistic opposites, but concepts in opposition to one another.

Keep in mind these are terms created by black America to describe themselves. The former being used by collectivists deeply wedded to identity politics, whereas the latter is a critique of this collectivism, and the powerlessness of the individual it implies.

During the civil rights era collectivism made sense, since all blacks were under attack, naturally they shared a common cause. Ironically the individual power afforded to blacks with civil rights has directly led to the weakening of the collectivist bonds allowing for such accusations as becoming a "sellout" "acting white" or *gasp* "assimilation" into the larger American experience.

The way in which Ridley uses the epithet "nigger" as a rebuke for choosing to remain dependent and individually powerless is the answer to accusations of personal success as a betrayal of blackness and its 'implicit' unifying victimology.

BTW, when will the original thread be reopened with this one tacked on the end?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast