Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Censorship

Default Censorship

Earlier today I recieved the following PM:

"Dear Fabrizio, You have received an infraction at Wired New York Forum. Reason: Inappropriate Language"

"Please try to refrain from using coarse language in this forum. This infraction is worth 30 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires."

The so called coarse language was in this post of mine:

"And did you all see Cindy McCain last night? She really looked worn-out. What's with the sgraggly hair (very 2003) ...and she's got to tone down and shade the blonde hair color. She looked like a (rhymes with bitch)".

Of course it was a take-off on the famous line by Barbara Bush, when asked her opinion about Geraldine Ferraro: Barbara Bush replied, "it rhymes with witch".

So instead of saying that Cindy McCain, with her disheveled hair and upturned collar looked like a witch... I wrote: Cindy McCain looked like a (it rhymes with bitch).

I figured that the savvy here would appreciate the joke, the reference, and get a chuckle. And it was not slur. Reread the post: I called no one a "bitch". It was I think, a politically cultured reference.

But the word "bitch" ...IS it "coarse language"? My own personal litmus test for deciding if a word is "coarse", is the: "would-I-say-that-in-front-of-my-mother-test".

It never fails me.

The word "bitch" easily passes the test. Maybe it wouldn't have passed the test back when I was a kid, but it does today. No prob.

About the word "bitch", Wikipedia has this to say:

"Since the 1980s, the term "bitch" became more and more accepted and less offensive. After the word was widely used between rivals Krystle and Alexis on the drama Dynasty, it gained usage, in malicious contexts or otherwise, and is now very rarely censored on television broadcasts. Prior to the term's general acceptance, euphemism terms were often substituted... "

So while the word "bitch" is ok for daytime television, at WiredNY we have a moderator handing out infractions and censoring the word (I'm sure that the Barbara Bush reference went right over his head).

But the CRAZIEST thing about all of this is that the thread where I posted it, is entitled: "Sarah Palin: Genuine Mother I'd Like to F*CK".

Genuine Mother I'd Like To... WHAT?

"F*CK".

Yes I know, initials are used, but it is read, "Mother I'd Like to F*CK".

Now, does "Mother I'd Like to F*CK" pass the "would-I-say-that-in-front-of-my-mother test"?

Uh... not on your life.

But apparently, "Mother I'd like to F*CK" is A-OK ... you can even use it in a now prominent thread title... no prob... BUT the word "bitch", expressed in a cultured and comic way, is somehow considered "coarse language" and requires censorship.

And please note that the term "M-I-L-F" can rightly be considered highly offensive to women ...but again, for some reason, it is the word "bitch" that gets censored.

Go figure.

Even crazier is that, in the SAME thread as all of this, the monitor who took umbrage with my use of the word "bitch", uses, completely out of the blue, the word "barebacking": "Andrew Sullivan should stick to his HIV+ barebacking websites".

LOL. Would the word "barebacking" pass my "would-I-say-that-in-front-of-my-mother-test" ?

Well, If it's refering to riding horses, no problem ....but I'd prefer not to explain the slang meaning to her.

Yet, for this monitor "barebacking" is OK ...but the word "bitch" is considered "coarse lanquage"... and it is censored.

Again: go figure.

I can go on here, but I think I've explained enough. After watching those Republican campaign speeches and our own threads about their hypocrisy I just though I'd discuss the censorship issue going on here.

In the meantime, to the monitors, may I request this: that my infraction points be removed. And that my post be restored exactly as I wrote it. Under my post the editing is explained this way: Reason: Poor language choice. I would like that removed. No, it was not a poor language choice. It was the perfect language choice.

If this will not be done, then I think it should be explained to us why "Sarah Palin: Mother I'd Like to F*CK" and "Barebacking" are appropriate lanquage but the word bitch is considered coarse... and requires censorship.

I have nothing more to say except that, I really hope the Democrats win.

------------------------------

Let's dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl6qg...eature=related

Does seem a bit of a double standard, I agree with all you've said Fab.

Make that three ( but you'll still never use my pool ).

If this isn't a singular instance of a personal slap then posters need some general clarification.

The George Carlin list of Seven Dirty Words might be a good starting point.

At the risk of being a killjoy to the MILF fun, I must say: Remember that I was called out for an acronym which was declared to be coarse.

Mods: Please discuss amongst yourselves.

Banned Member

I tend to agree with Fab on this one, although one is never entirely certain about what transpires in PM's.

Perhaps we can issue Forum Veterans something akin to five "get out of jail free" passes to play during the year.

At a certain point, forum members take on real personality traits. It becomes impossible and undesirable to scrub all posts free from these traits. It is also through these traits, be they rants, sarcasm, wit, or infinite arguing, that we find our friends and allies on different subjects.

Althought there are a handful of Moderators on here, we have a larger body of members who help us monitor the site for inappropriate posts. I think it is more important to keep the community cohesive, even in the face of disagreements.

That being said, I think Cindy McCain is a skank and, given a free shot, I would like to puch her square in the kisser. Sarah Palin is attractive to the eye, but ugly to the core. Her policies are incredible antiquated and her politics are mean-spirited. Perhaps, I can punch them both in the kisser.

Fabrizio, someone must have you in their gunsight. I'm with you; this should be no cause for moderator action.

Moderators ought to get things straight among themselves. If the forum turns prim, priggish and dainty, some folks will choose to walk rather than mince their words to suit some person's entirely debatable sense of propriety --and I suspect some of the forum's best contributors might be among them (look at those who have weighed in on this thread).

When did Wired New York turn into a kindergarten?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

We've already lost MidtownGuy -

Although there floated a suggestion to use "trollop" as a substitute for "bitch", trollop does not rhyme with witch (in fact, does not rhyme well at all), there is no way around this literary fact; so bitch is allowed for use.

I don't know what went on here, but considering the context of the thread...

We all know what MILF means, right?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Is it Mother-in-law something?

Trollop?

I think the last time I heard the word "trollop" was in an old Laurel&Hardy film.

uh.... look.... with the last few posts I have this funny feeling my above effort was all for naught.

Since, in our efforts to dumb-down the forum, we have to actually consider stretching back to the 1930's for a euphemism for a the word "bitch", let's do it this way and I'll save you all a lot of worry:

"Cindy McCain looked like a (rhymes with doozy)"

Meaning of course that she looked like a floozy.

I hope that's OK.

(geeeeese....)

I agree this instance is a bit much. Fab wasn't even calling anyone a bitch. Ive seen people write 'shit' on the forum before with no **** and nothing happened to that post. Either Fab was targeted for something minor for a reason or the forum is getting to cutsie-poo.

Side note, trollop is still used fairly regularly in the UK, especially by cockneys.

Now Im not sure MTG has been totally lost but his absence of posting is bad enough due to undiplomatic moderating.

Banned Member

Let's just agree that Cindy McCain will henceforth be referred to as "that skank" and Sarah Palin as the "hateful hypocrite bi-otch".

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Moderators ought to get things straight among themselves.
    Moderators are also forum members with diverse personalities. Every issue does not generate a monolithic response. One of the best litmus tests for offensive posts or posts outside of the Forum Rules of Conduct would be the number of flags we get on a post.

Personally, I encourage every forum member, particularly our veterans, to use the "report post" feature. It would certainly indicate the posting parameters that the forum community feels are necessary.

So, how about that skank and the hateful hypocrite bi-otch?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Although there floated a suggestion to use "trollop" as a substitute for "bitch", trollop does not rhyme with witch (in fact, does not rhyme well at all), there is no way around this literary fact; so bitch is allowed for use.
    Bravo, Edward.

Great to see that Fab's "offending" post has been restored.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast