Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best suburban downtown in Tri-State Area?

None of those towns shown do not interest me. Madison looks like a morgue, scarboro and greenwhich look like boring designer store ghettos with no real street life, and red bank is too far a commute.... Really, suburubia ain't that great in NYC...perhaps Montclair.

NYC should have a green belt, would have forced small dense towns to develop.

O.o Uhh.. So, none of those interested you? You think they're boring? O__O

Not even a slice of a nice community city like Hoboken?

Hmm.. Northern Jersey nightlife is definitely different from the more energetic restaurant-club-store activity you'd find easily in many parts of downtown Manhattan. Suburban nightlife is more towards restaurants, pubs, and mall shopping. Normal downtown shopping at night is a little more quiet. The malls close later so a lot of people just hang out there. As for Jersey night clubs, you'd definitely find them in a few places here n' there.

Hoboken is right across the river from manhattan -- i never considered it a suburban town - it looks great though.

Hoboken isn't a suburb town but I think it's a place that might suit you just fine. Your requests and answers to a lot of what we gave you doesn't seem to interest you much (except for Montclair).

And here's a picture of Ridgewood. I'm only going to guess that you think it's just like all the other suburb streets that's lined with these little store fronts, parking spots, and restaurants that don't look appealing to you which I can understand. Most community suburbs have this typical downtown setting and parks regardless of being upscale or not. (At least, they're better to look at than the typical strip malls that plague most of the country.)

^__^ A lot of these places are not as bad as you think. If you want to try Montclair first, go ahead. Hopefully, that town can meet most of your expectations.
    Last edited by unknown memory; September 9th, 2008 at 09:32 PM.

The pre-suburban boom towns on the north shore of LI are pretty nice - I'm particularly fond of Huntington, Northport and Port Jeff.

I currently live in Hoboken, NJ but grew up in Morris County. I am a pretty die-hard Jersey guy so I will list what I believe are the nicest downtowns I have visited by county, grouped between "Great" and "Good":

Morris County
    Great:
    Madison, Chatham, Morristown (it is currently undergoing a resurgence) Chester, Mendham
    Good:
    Denville (where I grew up), Morris Plains, Boonton

Essex County
    Great:
    Maplewood, Upper Montclair Village
    Good:
    South Orange (it is currently undergoing a resurgence), Montclair (great restaurants but I would like to see them improve upon the aesthetics a bit), Millburn, Caldwell

Bergen County (I haven't really been to many Bergen County downtowns but I know of a few that are quite nice)
    Great:
    Ridgewood, Hillsdale
    Good:
    Englewood, Tenafly, Rutherford

Union County:
    Great:
    Summit, Westfield, Cranford

Others nice downtowns around northern and central New Jersey:
    Hoboken, Red Bank, Princeton

I'm partial towards Denville as I grew up there and regularly visit my parents and friends who still live in the town. They still play music over the loudspeakers (primarily 40s and 50s music) and always play the best Christmas music during the Holiday season. Haha. It's great to know that there are still some places left that haven't been sucked dry by political correctness. Please let me know what you think of my list!

About Westchester-

Someone wrote that White Plains is "built around a mall." Which one did they mean, I wonder, there are several.

I grew up in White Plains and one thing the city has always had going for it is its diversity. Racial and ethnic but also income. In fact, White Plains was one of the first places to desegregate the school system voluntarily back in 1958. Like many places, because of housing segregation, the "neighborhood school" concept resulted in de facto school segregation.

They have purposefully developed a lot of night life back into the city and there is some street life at night. In fact, some people say too much. The mini-park around Main and Mamaroneck Avenue became a rendevous point for many teens. Racially-mixed and oriented towards Goth or semi-Grunge. People found their language and surly sick-of-it-all attitude intimidating. I found it pretty cool.

Forty years ago -- Good Lord is it really that long ago? -- kids hung out at the park at Broadway and Main Street. We were the first kids to smoke marijuana openly and it drove people nuts.

What does this have to do with the original question? I'm simply trying to give a 'feel' for what White Plains is like.

Morristown,NJ There has been a lot of downtown development in the last 5 years. Still lacking in many areas but the best Suburban NJ has to offer.

are there anymore pics of Scarsdale? has someone done a phototour of it or somethin? it looks really nice.

Forum Veteran

Interesting that ive found this thread ive been slowly documenting all the Railway towns in this Region and Philly...i'll show 3-6 photos per town...

South Orange

Downtown South Orange by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Downtown South Orange by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN4045 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Morristown

DSCN4524 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN4520 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN4515 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSCN4489 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Rahway

Rahway Station by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

100_1601 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

010 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC01396 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

028 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Greenwich, Ct. bar none.

Forum Veteran

Summit

DSC04218 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04216 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04208 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

DSC04239 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Here's one little thing that I have noticed, and have been missing since leaving Hoboken.

Look at most of the pictures showing there beautiful downtown areas. Now, barring the ones taken in inclement weather, start counting how many people you see walking around.

MOST suburban downtowns just do not HAVE anybody walking on the street. Hoboken, and the nicer boro's in NYC, have TONS of pedestrians all over the place. They have LIFE. I know part of it is because the 'burbs are easier to drive to, but that is not all of it. There is just this unwillingness to roam. People go from A to B and back to A. Odd, for a community that is used to mall shopping, that people are so unwilling to walk through downtown.....

When we were house hunting, we walked through many beautiful city centers only to be disappointed for their lack of life...

^Agreed. I think the reason for that is b/c the residents of those cities are working in the city (or Nwk/JC etc) for most of the day. Westfield downtown, which I think has a nice charm to it, is empty except for some weekends from what I've observed. Day time populations in NJ's larger cities seem to swell during the day, and contract towards the end of the day.

Forum Veteran

Downtown Cranford

003 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

004 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

008 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

010 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

011 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

015 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

080 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

081 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast