Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New York City Transit News

Re: Elimination of W Train

Quote Originally Posted by spatulashack View Post

... and the lack of a one-seat ride for Astoria residents who wish to travel below Prince street.
    Shouldn't that be "below 14th Street"?

I don't believe any of this will happen -- its just to attract attention from the feds and the new administration.

Aaahh ^ the innocence of youth

Time to buy some good walking shoes.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Cool Those of you with Transit Check option

the monthly allowance for Transit Check is $120.00 for 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Re: Elimination of W Train

Shouldn't that be "below 14th Street"?
    Below Canal actually.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
    Below Canal actually.
    Indeed. I don't know why I thought the switch to the bridge was at Prince instead of Canal. I haven't ridden the Broadway line in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Aaahh ^ the innocence of youth

Time to buy some good walking shoes.
    Be careful, I am not that young -- I could take that as an insult -- are you trying to proclaim I am not worthy of making an informed comment?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It's a regular panty twisting festival around here lately.

Disregard my previous comment.

Everyone will get a $10,000 check from the MTA for Christmas.

Yay!

American $$s?

NY1

Updated 12:53 PM

MTA Launches Real-Time Message System For Riders

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority today is introducing a real-time messaging system that – if it works as intended – will let riders know if there's transit trouble ahead of time so they can plan around it.

Beginning today, riders can sign up on the MTA's website for text messages and email alerts about unplanned service disruptions.

They will be able to customize the alerts to the subway lines and stations they use.

The system, which is based on the MTA's current email alert system for scheduled disruptions, will cost the agency $600,000 over five years.

Text-savvy New Yorkers say they could use the heads up from transit officials.

"I already get too many messages so I'm not sure how much attention I would pay to them, but it's probably a good idea," said one subway rider.

"I think it's very good because it gives people a sense of what's going on and just keep people aware," said another.

"If I got an alert every day that my subway was down or anything like that, it would help me plan out my day better," said a third.

The MTA drew criticism last August after a storm dumped three inches of rain on the city in an hour, crippling virtually the entire subway system. A task force looking into the agency's response concluded that riders may have stayed home or found another way to travel if they had known the extent of the problems.

Copyright © 2008 NY1 News. All rights reserved.

NY1

Updated 11:33 AM

Local Airports Receive Poor Marks In Zagat Survey

Local airports are receiving little praise in a new national sky travel survey.

The latest Zagat poll released today leaves LaGuardia International Airport, John F. Kennedy International Airport and Newark International Airport far behind other national airports.

LaGuardia in particular receives low grades. It finished dead last, receiving 6.8 out of 30, among the nation's 27 largest airports in every catagory – except security.

Surveyors complained of LaGuardia's delays and lack of shops and restaurants.

Newark and JFK fared marginally better – placing 19th and 23rd overall.
    Tampa International was ranked first in overall quality.

There was some good news for our area. New York-based Jet Blue received high marks for in flight entertainment and economy travel.

Researchers questioned almost 10,000 frequent flyers.

NY1

11/27/2008 10:33 AM

Report: Commission To Recommend Tolls On East River Bridges

The New York Times says a state commission will recommend a new tax on corporate payrolls and tolls on the East River and Harlem River bridges, in an effort to raise $1.6 billion a year.

The commission, headed by former Metropolitan Transportation Authority Chairman Richard Ravitch is also expected to call for fare hikes, though they are said to be less than the steep hikes being proposed by the MTA.

The Times says the commission will only recommend minimal service cuts if any.

The MTA recently proposed raising revenues from fares and tolls by 23 percent, as well as eliminating some subway and bus lines and reducing service on others.

The MTA is facing a $1.2 billion shortfall next year because of the economic downturn.

The commission is expected to release its recommendations for Governor David Paterson on December 5th. Any proposals would need to be approved by the state Legislature.

NY1

Updated 7:34 PM

Commission To Propose MTA Budget Solutions

The Ravitch Commission, charged with recommending funding measures to help close the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's budget gap, will release its report to Governor David Paterson Thursday morning.

The commission will deliver the report in the governor's office. The report will reportedly call for tolls on the bridges over the East and Harlem Rivers, as well as a corporate payroll tax to help minimize the transit agency's proposed fare hikes and service cuts.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg will also be present at the commission's presentation.

The MTA faces a $1.2 billion deficit next year and has asked for fare and toll hikes of 23 percent in a "doomsday" budget proposal.

Paterson weighed in on the MTA budget for the first time Wednesday.

He said the state is not aiming to overburden anyone, but fare hikes or tolls, along with the possibility of payroll taxes, are necessary because of the fiscal crisis.

Paterson also cautioned that inaction would be a bigger mistake than the proposed MTA fare hike.

"It's the inaction in the past that's led to this overwhelming deficit at the MTA, in state government, in city government," said the governor. "And we, who are here at this time in service, are trying to address it."

The MTA has also proposed eliminating local and express bus routes and two subway lines.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast