Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HL23 - 515 West 23rd Street - Condo - Chelsea - by Neil Denari

Beautiful.

Post Hl23

Yes, beautiful. I also like the website design, particularly the feature with the 3D/rotation rendering.

I know this is cutting-edge architecture; but, the extended time to completion seems to be unusually protracted even for this type of new construction. No hurry though, this is a great one to watch.

http://www.hl23.com/
    Last edited by infoshare; December 3rd, 2009 at 10:41 AM.

Metal meets glass: from curbed.

Nice. It seems as if those are traditional 'sash windows' in the middle of the side elevation - other than that; nifty looking new building.

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/10/1..._explosion.php

Love this one ...

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Love this one ...
    Me too. Thanks for the fantastic photo updates, Lofter .

Wow, in that last picture it almost looks like two tank treads on uneven terrain.

I'm not fully understanding how the floor plates meet up with the glass. Seems that they butt up against each other behind the fritted horizontal striping in many places, but there are stretches of floor plates that seem to have the exposed edges of I-beams right against clear glass.

The rhythm of the metallic cladding is terrific.

I also like how those first six buildings + The High Line work together. All have reasonably small lots which results in a rhythm. You'd think City Planning would understand this...instead their laws inadvertently encourage block busting developments like The Tate and The Caledonia.

^ That's right.

Bizarre, isn't it, that they haven't figured this out?

They still think "out of scale" means taller than the neighbors.

Comical misconception.

Then again, London Terrace is across the avenue, takes up the entire block and is great. Imagine how bad a block long building would look if developed today.
    I guess our low ambition developers are the real problem, though city planning hasn't done anything useful to rectify the problem.

Nick mentioned London's Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE). We should have something like this in certain areas.

Seems like it's a middle ground between landmarking and the wild west. However I just don't feel city officials (or most residents) know enough or care what acceptable modern architecture is. Maybe it's an American thing (sans Chicago). shame, at what point did we stop looking forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Then again, London Terrace is across the avenue, takes up the entire block and is great. Imagine how bad a block long building would look if developed today.
    By picking out London Terrace you've identified the other principal component of scale: frequency of detail. It's something we don't talk about nearly enough, but it's clearly the secret of this building's success.

Like the other components of scale, this can be thought of mathematically: how far do you have to go before something changes significantly. Just look at the roofline of London Terrace for proof.

It's an exercise in the manipulation of scale: simultaneously vast in massing and fine-grained in detail, it manages to suggest the hubristic idea that a single building can be a city.

The Babylonians would have understood and approved (they prized scale as a conveyor of infinity), and Soleri's Arcology has the concept aced --along with Habitat 67 and its grandfather, the Taos pueblo. And this building's distant cousin, the Walled City of Hong Kong, was quite recently bulldozed.

Post Hl23

Those steel beams behind the glass facade seem to be some sort of new twist ont he often disparaged ‘exposed floor plates’ common to many cheaply constructed buildings with poured-concrete flooring.

In a word, those ‘visable/exposed’ I-beams behind the glass on the front façade give that part of the building an unfinished look: most noticeable in the seventh photo down from the top. Other than that minor complaint: this one is a beauty.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpo...5&postcount=49

Walk-by the site on the way up to the High Line earlier this week ...

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)