Thread: How much money a month

Default How much money a month

Im thinking of coming to NYC for an internship. It would pe unpaid so I have to calculate how much money I need to live there.

I already read a lot about the rents for a room, so Im calculating around $1000 for that.

What I cant really estimate is, how much will I need for food? $500? more? less?
    I think I will have breakfast (cereals) and diner (some sandwiches or cooking) at home and lunch in Downtown Manhattan (some fast-food-stuff). The fast food I can estimate, but Ive never been to a US-supermarket (Im from Europe)
    So maybe somebody can help me. Thanks in advance

Best regards!

chrisb

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

For everything besides rent, I would say somewhere between $200/300 per week.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ No way do you need that much. Cereals, sandwiches and cooking at home will not cost that much.

chrisb73, food doesn't necessarily cost that much more in NY. In fact, I think it could be even cheaper than Europe.

Stay away from the fancy, yuppie gourmet markets and you will find inexpensive food.

I'd use whatever it costs you now and convert it to U.S. dollars.

okay, thanks. So I calculate with $500 a month (15 a day), here I need about 10.
    Are there other major expenses besides accomodation and meals?
    $81 for the MTA ticket..how much is a cinema ticket?

Well, that's why I was saying for everything besides rent, around $2/300 a week will get you by in NYC if you are the frugal type. Movie tickets are currently around $10 or $12.

Or you can just slum it and do things like movies in the park (Bryant over the summer), and different affairs/events that teh city has year round.

It IS harder to live in the city off of very little, but not impossible. Rent is the biggest expense, but after that, and the bare necessities (electric bill and Transit card) you can get by on very little provided you do not mind cheerios and dried pasta!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisb73 View Post
    okay, thanks. So I calculate with $500 a month (15 a day), here I need about 10.
    Are there other major expenses besides accomodation and meals?
    $81 for the MTA ticket..how much is a cinema ticket?
    Coming from Norway I find pretty much everything to be cheaper, sually by quite a lot. That being said, I don't know where in Europe you are, so chances are pretty good you're used to a cheaper market than I am. I think the advise of 2-300 usd a week is fairly appropriate, I'm sure it's possible to make do on less, but I can only imagine that you do want to experience the city when you are here.

I would sincerely hate to imagine scrounging around here on $15 a day. I'm sure many people do it but it can't be pleasant.

You would have to look for the sales.

Cans of good soup (Progresso) could probably be found for about $1.50 every so often. Eggs are cheap and so is chicken broth, so things like scrambled eggs or egg-drop soup are pretty easy to make.

Spaghetti sauce is pretty easy to make too, so pasta could become a staple and rice too (also, Chinatown has some cheap eats if you know where to look...

But you are right... $15 a day would be tight.

If you smoke cigarettes you might want to consider quitting -- given the NYC price of ~ $8 / pack.

Wow.

I think that may give me more motivation to quit smoking. Not to mention it's completely disgusting, I stink afterwards, and it's not the most attractive thing to look at. Oh, did I mention my breathing sucks?

Note to self : Quit smoking before moving to NY.