Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: City Point - Downtown Brooklyn - by Greenberg Farrow

Forum Veteran

10/05/11

[img][/img]

I thought the facade would be terra cotta, but this doesn't look like terra cotta (maybe it is just with weird panel shapes?) ... maybe it's just a border or something.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Tower power! Flatbush Avenue's got two more on the way

Photo by Moses Jefferson
    FIRST LOOK: This rendering shows the gigantic residential tower, center, plus a shorter skyscraper that
    developers are planning for the site of the demolished Albee Square Mall on Flatbush Avenue Extension
    between Dekalb Avenue and Willoughby Street Downtown.

By Kate Briquelet
    The Brooklyn Paper
    March 22, 2012

Here it is — Brooklyn’s tallest building!

Developers showed off this rendering of the skyscrapers planned for the former Albee Square Mall — the long-stalled Downtown City Point retail and residential complex on Flatbush Avenue Extension between Willoughby Street and DeKalb Avenue.

The mock-ups, which were presented to Community Board 2 earlier today, showed two gargantuan skyscrapers on Flatbush.

The plan needs the approval of the city before it can move forward.

The two towers — the taller of which could rise to 65 stories or more — would be completed in 2015 and 2016, according to Paul Travis, of Washington Square Partners, which is part of the team of developers behind the plan.

City Point’s first building at Albee Square — the City Point mall — is almost complete and slated to open in June with 50,000 square feet of retail.

©2012 Community Newspaper Group

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

yeah baby. this tower is going to be so hugely transformational for what is somewhat a gateway intersection into downtown brooklyn from flatbush.

Finally a (maybe) good looking skyline building in Brooklyn.

Should draw attention away from the Lawrence St hulk.

A much better companion to The Dime than that awful Albee Square Mall. Always hated that dump, especially since they demolished the RKO Albee Theater just to build it.

RKO Albee Theater

Whoa... that's pretty nice. I was about to say how quick that went up but then I realized I hadn't been to downtown Brooklyn in over a year.

A couple of shots on Livingston St. Williamsburgh and Court-Chambers.

Unveiled> City Point Phase Two

Cook+Fox designs a pair of towers in Downtown Brooklyn

Two new towers are planned in phase two of City Point (left, center) and a taller third tower (right) is planned in the future.
    Courtesy Cook+Fox Architects

With a four-story retail complex ready to open along Brooklyn’s Fulton Street Mall, City Point’s second phase, designed by Cook+Fox with Lee Weintraub Landscape Architecture, is ready to move forward. Phase two consists of two residential towers—standing 19 and 30 stories and holding a combined 650 units—sitting atop a 500,000-square-foot retail podium. “The whole project is envisioned conceptually as one project, a big mixed-use transit-oriented development,” said Cook+Fox partner Rick Cook. “This is a perfect spot for a tall building in Brooklyn.”

Cook said the towers’ skins are currently being designed, but each building will have its own identity. “We intend to play off a similar fenestration pattern and skin” of the first phase, Cook said, which could incorporate the same custom-glazed white terra-cotta tiles. Landscaped areas are subtly incorporated into the site and on the rooftops. “We’ve created a series of recesses on the street wall where we could incorporate green spaces,” Cook said. A glass market hall leads through the site to the planned Willoughby Park by Michael Van Valkenburgh. A future third phase calls for an even taller building that Cook said will anchor the corner with a strong sense of verticality.

The new towers will displace the popular shipping-container bazaar, the Dekalb Market, currently in its last year of operation, but Cook said there may be an opportunity to keep a portion of the market operating on the site of the third future tower. “We’re hoping there’s a way to have the Dekalb Market inform the tenancy inside the project, bringing in Brooklyn-centric retailers,” Cook said.

Branden Klayko

A detail of the streetscape along Flatbush Avenue

Finishing details are added to City Point's first phase on Albee Square, in front of the phase two site

Copyright © 2003-2011 | The Architect's Newspaper, LLC

The first phase doesn't look like a retail building at all. Can you picture big store signage on those silver walls? I can't.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Maybe on the horizontal strip area right above the first floor -

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Doesn't look hugely different from WFC, which has retail on ground floors ...

When I say it doesn't look like a retail building, I mean that it doesn't look like a retail building where all the store entrances are from the exterior. It's my understanding that this will not be a mall-like building with shared interior spaces. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Signs will be on the horizontal grillwork on the first floor. And in the windows I guess.

I don't know how the interior is configured, but Target will be an anchor tenant.

Target? I'm surprised. It's so close to Atlantic Center.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Signs will be on the horizontal grillwork on the first floor. And in the windows I guess.

I don't know how the interior is configured, but Target will be an anchor tenant.
    I don't think Target is part of Phase 1. I know there was that rumour, but the whole Phase is only 50,000 square feet, about half the size of a standard Target. I think Target will be part of Phase 2.

I wonder if they'll close the old Target in Atlantic Center.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast