Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: City Point - Downtown Brooklyn - by Greenberg Farrow

Excellent photos as usual. Not the best of Cook+Fox but it's not bad. I also wonder how long that block on the left in the second photo would last, a couple of the businesses are already closed.

tectonic

Quote Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
    Geez, I was married in that church. It was a more dominating presence back then.

Albee Square elevation.

Another tower on the way at 141 Willoughby St (tan building). Developer requesting a variance.
    http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...llows.php#more

The green construction fence on the left is the site of Willoughby Square Park.
    http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ot_parking.php

Seems like prep work has also started for phase 3 developed by Extell. Very busy area, I think is under developed given the the transit options. This is where big developments should certainly go.

Downtown and Metrotech and Dumbo have to be better connected. Development on Flatbush Ext and Jay St is important.

I agree Zippy. More development along Flatbush Ave Ext will make it more pedestrian friendly and feel less hostile while walking along.

Not for nothing, but I think a little bit of a road diet that dumps at least a lane in either direction would do even more to help. That said, the connections to transportation are stellar, and this whole area deserves to be much denser (as it once was before urban renewal).

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    From Brownstoner:

The Latest Look at City Point

Categories: Brooklyn, Commercial Real Estate,Development, Downtown Brooklyn

Here’s a rendering of the mixed-use City Point complex from architects Fox + Cook we haven’t seen before. It clearly shows the middle section of the complex that is being worked on right now, otherwise known as Phase II. This part consists of two tall residential rental towers as well as more retail space, and is built partly on the site of the old Dekalb Market. A 19-story tower will offeraffordable housing, while a 30-story tower will be market rate rentals. This phase of the development will also include a permanent Market Hall selling fresh food and showcasing Brooklyn vendors. The entire complex will be built in three phases. Phase I at One Dekalb was completed in the fall. The second phase is expected to wrap in 2015.
    Rendering by Cook + Fox

On par with the rest of the awful contemporary architecture this city gets. Its turning into Manhattan alright.....

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

The trains cannot handle this many people.

I don't care much for this type of Mega Development carving out huge sections of the city to create this homogenous looking suburban-shopping-mall-mini-city-within-a-real-city: why not just smaller individual parcels growing more organically to meet our housing and shopping needs. I am sure this approach to downtown real estate development has any number of justifications and rationals, none of which I am privy to - or understand - but I still think it is an ugly way to build an URBAN environment nontheless.....

Call me cynical, but it looks like greedy land grab developers with inside political connections, doing back room deals: but maybe I am just wrong....LOL

For better or worse, smaller sites are more difficult to acquire financing for, and ultimately result in more wasted space than something like this project. It would be nice to see more of it, but construction costs don't allow for things to be built with your own money, so everything needs to be financed, and so small projects are just not particularly feasible. Also, you need more units to get the same number of people living in an area now due to demographic shifts (families won't cram 10 to a 2 br apartment anymore - even 2 people won't frequently occupy a single bedroom anymore).

If Brooklyn had remained a city, this is exactly what would have happened (earlier), just as it did in Manhattan around its mass transit hubs.

I wish some of it was better looking, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    On par with the rest of the awful contemporary architecture this city gets. Its turning into Manhattan alright.....
    Are you kidding? This is one of the nicer projects going up downtown.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast