Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: City Point - Downtown Brooklyn - by Greenberg Farrow

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yes but what does that say?

This development is actually quite attractive and well designed. What does that say about other developments in the city? They are cheap shit. But look at what's being built at the same level everywhere else. It's a combination of bottom line developers with no taste, a lax city planning department that won't enforce higher standards, and the basic economics of building in a difficult and expensive environment.

And don't think that this is the first time. Look at the historical picture of development. For anything but the upper classes it's always bland shit. Look at the apartment buildings throughout Queens, outer Brooklyn, the Bronx, and upper Manhattan. They are as basic as you can get unless you had a developer looking to get some higher paying tenants and then they mostly threw in some extra decoration. Same with these new boxes going up; the extra money spent is all inside for the people who actually are paying.

You guys on here act as the city is going through a phase of terrible development. Look back and you will see it's always been this way. Holding your city to a higher standard is one thing but shitting on everything because the aren't all perfect is asinine. They can't all be winners.

I'm a partial to Cook + Fox. I really like their work. Besides the green architecture, they do simple well, the buildings never look cheap. That's the difference.

I totally Photoshopped this one together, yup.

Looking good. I remain weirded out by the construction of a city target only a few blocks from an actual target, though.

The actual Target is packed daily. They can probably open two.

City Point Residential Towers Near Completion in DoBro

March 20, 2015, by Jeremiah Budin

Photos via Field Condition

The second phase of the City Point mega-development brings two residential towers, one affordable and one market-rate to Downtown Brooklyn, and those towers, having now topped out, have the finish line in sight with almost completely installed facades. Field Condition headed over recently to shoot the current progress of the COOKFOX-designed buildings. The market-rate one (30 stories) has a "unitized terra cotta panel system" on its facade while the affordable tower (19 stories) sports a "unitized metal panel system." Once completed, in addition to the apartments, there will be a substantial retail section with tenants including Century 21, CityTarget, Alamo Drafthouse, a food market, and some small shops.

City Point Phase Two [Field Condition]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...n_in_dobro.php

Great job by Cook + Fox here, would like to see more from them in Brooklyn.

tectonic

Eventually two more buildings in front of these, and probably two behind.

Prince St somewhat restored as a covered passageway. A giant maw waiting to scoop up unsuspecting shoppers.

Shame City Point will be blocked from the south, it looks great heading north on Flatbush Ave. I'm pretty sure the 'blocker' will not look as good.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I'm not crazy about the strong vertical window lines, and that beige color when viewed in person.

Looks quite generic to me: quite artless - but still OK. This building did not need an architect; they could of had any one of the general contractors or engineers draft something up with the latest auto cad software and gotten pretty much the same 'architectural' design results. I don't mind some buildings that look like they have been plucked out of downtown Dallas: they make the perfect foil for the finer archectural designs yet to come in their wake.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast