Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Endangered NYC - Lost & Threatened Treasures

What a f..ing crime.

When a "storage warehouse" means something like this, you know you are living in the City of Ages.

Now we build the thing on the left:
    Last edited by RandySavage; July 7th, 2009 at 01:36 AM.

I never cease to wonder at the fact that places that were built to store boxes and largely attended by laborers have nicer 'bones' (and, refitted, command as high prioces) than most new buuildings erected to house upper-middle class folks from the outset.

People cna go on about zoning, regulations, etc. all they want, but the real, tangible but 'messy' reality is that pre-war building clients had some aesthetic sensibility (or were willing to pay for someone else's) as did their customers. These days, if living/working/shopping in a pig shed saves 2%, people will queue around the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I never cease to wonder at the fact that places that were built to store boxes and largely attended by laborers have nicer 'bones' (and, refitted, command as high prioces) than most new buuildings erected to house upper-middle class folks from the outset.

People cna go on about zoning, regulations, etc. all they want, but the real, tangible but 'messy' reality is that pre-war building clients had some aesthetic sensibility (or were willing to pay for someone else's) as did their customers. These days, if living/working/shopping in a pig shed saves 2%, people will queue around the block.
    I think about that question (why we don't build like we once did) a lot (as you can tell from my posts).

Along with greater sense of aesthetics, cheaper labor, zoning, etc., etc., etc., buildings themselves were once seen as valuable marketing tools. Look at Woolworth's famous explanation for lavishing cash on his Cathedral of Commerce. Erecting a beautiful structure for a retail store, bank, storage facility, company hq, etc., was a way to get the customer through the door. Some corporate advertising still features great buildings (NY Life Building, TransAmerica Pyramid come to mind)

I've been looking through George B. Post, Architect by Sarah Bradford Landau and was dismayed to learn of so many of Post's buildings that have not survived.

15 East 36th Street may have been small in comparison to his more well-known "skyscrapers", already covered in this thread, but it's notable for being "one of the earliest New York buildings to feature terra cotta".

Then:

Now:

http://murrayhill.gc.cuny.edu/34-39thy/

The Mills Building, also designed by George B. Post:

I wonder what happened to the gorgeous grille at the main entrance:
    In 1883, Post completed the Mills building for Darius Ogden Mills on Broad Street at the corner of Exchange Place. "It was also U-shaped and was the first office building in the city to have its own electricity generating plant. It had a restaurant on its top floor and "a magnificent wrought-iron grille at the main entrance could lowered by hydraulic power to close off the skylighted lobby....The handsome Aesthetic Movement design was calculated so that when the grille was in the raised position, its arch met the stone arch over the entrance".

I think this site is now occupied by 15 Broad Street, otherwise known as Downtown Philippe Starck ?? (the exterior of which I like very much ):

Scroll though this one from Google Books for a great trip through the past ...

(Lots of lost ones, with architectural renderings, etc. inlcuding some from the Mills Building)

Rise of the New York Skyscraper

That is a great book... though they need to make a sequel covering 1914-1939

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    The Produce Exchange was a gorgeous building... and its replacement is a dumpy squat blob of crap.
    Charles W. Cushman captured it beautifully. And, god, look at all those beauties around it (first pic L-R 26 Broadway - Standard Oil, 70 Pine Street - Cities Service/AIG, 20 Exchange Place - City Bank Farmers Trust, 67 Broad Street- ITT). Not a blob of crap in sight:

http://webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/cush...=1&pagesize=20

What a loss.

Is the building on the right with the flag on top still standing or is it gone?

^ ITT Building, 67 Broad Street. Yes, thankfully it's still there .

Thanks.

I love that building. I always walk by the base but never noticed its top.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    ^ ITT Building, 67 Broad Street. Yes, thankfully it's still there .

Interesting similarity to 1775 B'way:

Seeing that makes me want to kick Moinian in the nuts.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

I'll hold him down ...

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynLove View Post
    I'll hold him down ...
    I'd help you both, but I think we should've done this before the vandalism started ...in the vain hope that it would've made a difference ...if only we could've...