Page 31 of 41 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Endangered NYC - Lost & Threatened Treasures

Merry, is there any particular reason why you posted those photos? Is it in conjunction with the listing of Mount Morris Park as one of the "6 Neighborhoods to Celebrate" and the fact that this stretch is right outside that historic district?

I ask only because there are quite a few streets in Harlem that look like that -- beautiful but decrepit. Sometimes a rotten developer sweeps in and puts up some "Fedders Specials," while other times they're holdovers from Harlem's bad old days of abandonment and widespread decay, and are merely awaiting the critical mass of gentrification for people to buy them and fix them up for themselves or tenants.

I also hope these brownstones are rehabbed, but their condition is unfortunately shared by many brownstones, apt. buildings, churches and old theaters across Harlem.
    Last edited by Stroika; January 3rd, 2011 at 09:39 PM.

^ After this post about 51 East 128th Street, I was just checking out the immediate area, and there they were.

I gather Spanish Harlem, where those brownstones are, has largely resisted gentrification and maintained its essential character, but surely gentrification is preferable to (often insensitive) redevelopment.

Let's hope the Mount Morris Park Community Improvement Association succeed in their efforts to have the current Historic District expanded. Six to Celebrate

Every village has a center, and for Kew Gardens, it's the Tudor-style Homestead building [Lefferts Blvd. and 83rd Avenue]. It was built in 1914, but has a centuries-old appearance. Over the years, this building has been reduced in size, but he baker on its corner keeps its name in mind. In 2006, an out-of-context brick box was built behind the Homestead, sandwiched between two Tudors. This is why landmarking is needed here.

http://www.forgotten-ny.com/NEIGHBOR...rdens/kew.html

Oh my god, I love tudors! That building needs landmarking!

I could have sworn something else was posted about this somewhere here, but I can't find it.

Video> Exhibition Recalls NY′s Lost Garden of Eden

Branden Klayko

(see article for video)

Adam Purple's Garden of Eden in the Lower East Side (Photo by Harvey Wang)

As he watched his Manhattan neighborhood crumble and burn around him in the urban decay of the 1970s, Adam Purple decided to build a garden. For roughly a decade from the 1970s until 1985, Purpleís Garden of Eden earthwork expanded with concentric circles as more and more buildings were torn down. Photographer Harvey Wang is marking the 25th anniversary of the gardenís destruction with an exhibition at the Fusion Arts gallery running through February 20.

Adam Purple built the his Garden of Eden by hand and invited the community in to find comfort and grow food. Jeremiahís Vanishing New York points out that the plot eventually grew to over 15,000 square feet covered with rose bushes, fruit and nut trees, edible crops, and other greenery.

The city bulldozed the site in 1986 to make way for a housing project despite proposals from architects to build around the garden. Be sure to check out Jeremiahís interview with photographer Harvey Wang and check out the exhibition before it ends. Hereís a short video on the Garden of Eden from the exhibitionís KickStarter page:

Before Adam Purple's Garden of Eden in the Lower East Side (Photo by Harvey Wang)

Before Adam Purple's Garden of Eden in the Lower East Side (Photo by Harvey Wang)

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/12920

What I miss most are the cobblestone streets and the trolleys.

syscosteve
    Grand Central Station and Hotel Manhattan, New York

syscosteve
    View from Manhattan Bdge Monroe and Market Streets
    New York circa 1915. "New York skyline from Manhattan Bridge." Another entry from Detroit Publishing's series of sooty cityscapes.

Make that New York c. 1915
    Submitted by Michael R on Fri, 10/15/2010 - 3:23pm.
    This magnificent view contains several skyscrapers completed after 1910. On the left we see the Bankers Trust Building, with the pyramid on top (finished 1912) and immediately to its right, the wide bulk of the new Equitable Building (finished 1915); on the right we see the Woolworth Building, the tallest in the world at that time (finished 1913) and the Municipal Building, with its cute little round temple at the top (finished 1914).

You can see the rear of the former world's tallest, the St. Paul Building.

syscosteve
    View from Singer bldg ca 1908
    Manhattan, looking northeast from atop the Singer Building in 1908. 5x7 glass negative, George Grantham Bain Collection.

A mansion I've never seen before:

syscosteve

Fifth Avenue and 77th Street in New York City, winter 1905-06. On record as of 1911, this was the residence of William A. Clark, former U.S. senator. 5x7 glass plate negative, John Bond Trevor Sr. collection.

syscosteve
    Brooklyn Bridge with signs
    The Brooklyn Bridge Promenade and Manhattan Terminal in 1907 -
    Last edited by Derek2k3; March 9th, 2011 at 06:28 PM.

^ That mansion has its own Singer tower. I wonder....
    Last edited by Music Man; March 9th, 2011 at 07:52 PM.

There are plenty more great shots on syscosteve's photostream.

WTC site

Third Avenue Car Barn - - I expected this building to be in the recent article about Mansard roofs.

Third Avenue Car Barn ca 1936
    Second Empire car barn with mansard roofs, central and end towers, [torn down 1949] seen beyond the Third Avenue elevated railroad line

Abbott, Berenice, 1898-1991 -- Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    You're not that old are you Derek?

I know what you mean and agree completely.

I think the marvelous eccentricity of the City Investing Building and the Post Office, amongst others, are (still) just so New York.

Never seen the Car Barn (better tell Christopher he carelessly left it out of his article ), or that mansion either. Thanks for posting these stunning pics.

Some of the other cities around the tri-state area maintained these streets and their trolleys. I guess because New York expanded so fast it was time to remove them. It's a shame though, they need them back more than ever now, since surveys show that we may top Los Angeles in congestion.

The Third Avenue Car Barn (covering the full block between E 65 <> 66th and over to Second Ave) was torn down in 1946 and replaced by the original stack of white bricks aka Manhattan House (SOM / Gordon Bunshaft; 1950 - 51).

There was another Third Avenue Car Barn building on Tenth Avenue between 53rd & 54th Streets (extending west to midblock), where the big white brick AT&T Switching Center building now stands (and where the Clinton Park ziggurat is rising).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarBarnTenth53rd_1930.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	12482
    NYPL Digital Gallery
    PL Sperr, Photographer

A 1950 movie (mp4) of a ride on the Third Avenue El (other versions HERE)

Um, how old are you? Were you actually around for the trolleys? I'd aske about the cobblestone streets, but there are a few of those actually left.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

[/i]

Smile

No, I'm young.
    Doesn't stop me from reminscing and romanticizing (falsely?) things I haven't experienced.

Come to Toronto. We have streetcars that work essentially like the old NY trolleys.

Help !! I am looking for images of the Hotel Gladstone, 114-122 East 52nd Street between Park and Lexington Avenues. The Four Seasons Restaurant/Hotel appears to be is in its current location. I cannot find even one image. Thank you.