Thread: need help with the stats

Default need help with the stats

I work in the oilfield now and am recently divorced. I am a truck driver with no kids. I want to move to NY in June of 09. I'll probably only have about 10,000.00 saved up. I don't have good credit because I stopped using it years ago. I will only have my clothes....NO car. Basically I want to know is this possible. I can work as a truck driver in NY somewhere..and will more than likely have a job doing so before I move there....hopefully. I want to do other things with my life career wise. And I still love the night-life. Is june too soon or can I make it work. I don't mind living with people...it will at least put me in a position to meet some "possible" friends. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Banned Member

Typically in the past, this would work - especially because you are willing to have roommates and be flexible. However, I think 2009 is going to be a terrible year to move to NY. I think we are going to see massive lay-offs in the first quarter of 2009 and maybe beyond. I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I think you should read NYTimes.com regularly to keep up with the state of NY's economy for a while.

thanx alot friend....appreciate the help

Default need help with the stats

Quote Originally Posted by DawgDdogg View Post
    thanx alot friend....appreciate the help
    Thanks alot w freind. I also appreciate the help too.

To add to what's already been said, keep in mind also the unemployment rate in NYC is steadily rising. Currently it is at 6.7%

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Unemployment is up all across the country. The OP said he would have a job lined up when he moves here.

If that is the case and he can find accommodations, then I don't see why he shouldn't come. If you have an income and a place to stay, isn't that all one needs?

The only thing I would recommend would be to station outside of NYC proper (out in the boroughs, queens or the Bronx might be best).

If you have a job lined up, you could probably make it here very easily, so long as you keep it light. I would also recommend having a backup plan (somewhere you can crash if the economy keeps tanking and you need to boomerang back home).

So caution is advised, but it is possible to come here if you play it carefully.

why queens or the bronx???......I was thinkin brooklyn at the least....or are my geographics messed up

Brooklyn also has parts, but I think (don't hold me to this) that it may have better name appeal than the others, making places that would be convenient still rather pricey.

I said the Bronx from my own experience. A friend of mine bought a small renovated place a few blocks from Yankee Stadium for a decent price and the ride into the city is fairly quick.

It isn't glitz and glam, but it it still pretty nice, and affordable.

YMMV.