Thread: Advice on finding a city apt?

Default Advice on finding a city apt?

I've been contemplating a move to NYC for a about a year now, but I'm not sure how to go about finding a good apt. I'm a freelance writer, and really have no way to prove my income, although right now I make enough to live comfortably in a 2 bedroom apt (but it's in Indianapolis).

I have no problems with small spaces or roommates, but when looking through Craigslist I have found that many roommates are quite demanding... if I want an affordable rent, I have to limit the use of the kitchen, not be home during the day/night, and other strange requests. Is this normal for apt dwellers?? Because I work from home and cook my own food so I can save money. So far... no one really seems that accommodating for my lifestyle. I was just curious if that was typical, or if I should just be looking in another place besides Craigslist. Thanks!

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Just keep on looking. Not everyone has the same demands as those you cited.

Looking for housing in NY is very difficult because it's expensive and also because the demand is usually higher than elsewhere which means it's competitive.

The landlords or people looking to rent out their apartments have many people to choose from so they're going to be picky. That is however not the case for everyone, so just continue looking. You will find something suitable eventually.

It's the same for other highly sought after cities like SF, LA, etc. I also suggest you look in places outside of Manhattan as it is even pricier and more in demand than other places in the city.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Yes.

You will need to show last year's 1040 so you will need to be picky about who sees your SS#.

Thanks... I really appreciate the advice.

I know what you mean by these strange requests. I've also been thinking about moving to NYC and have looked at craigslist and other listings just to get an idea of what to expect... And yeah... You would think people would be more open to a 50/50 split... But no? Maybe you just gotta give'em a little bit of ttime. I don't know... Either way, good luck and best wishes.

Thanks for the well wishes. I guess I just have to stay positive AND flexible through this whole thing.