Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan

Default Japan

The next place I plan to visit. Please all post any images, stories, opinions as you please.

Last edited by Alonzo-ny; January 15th, 2009 at 04:24 PM. Reason: stupid flickr losers.

Just back from my trip to Hong Kong-Beijing-Guilin-Tokyo. Interesting how there is this feeling in the air of Tokyo that it is up there competing against London and New York, yet Beijing lacked it. To be honest Beijing is a dump. Avoid it at all costs.

Im hoping we get to see some great pics?

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    Im hoping we get to see some great pics?
    I took around 3,000...its gonna take me time to sort through them all...

I'm in a Japanese language class, and hopefully I should visit Japan in the next 2 years. As a history buff, I would like to visit cities such as Kyoto or Nara, but all I want to enjoy the big city style of Osaka or Tokyo. Japan, imo, has so much to offer.

In my familly we are a bit Otaku
    my mother is fan of japanese language, my father is fan of japanese culture, my sister is fan of manga (France is the second consumer of manga in the world, first being obviously Japan) and I am fan of Japanese urbanity and train.

Some picture of Tokyo that I took in August 2007

Default Wow!

Wow!! Japan looks amazing! I've always wanted to visit some place like China or Japan but have never really taken it into consideration.

Might have to look into.

Minato-san, domo arigato gozaimasu! ( I hope I said that right). Japan looks wonderful. Tokyo looks amazing, I mean to see an urban area that has over 12 million people living there, with no trash on the ground, is amazing.

And the trains run on time.

My extensive Tokyo photo thread is coming soon. So a little taster.

Also booked my month-long holiday to SE Asia - bit of an extensive stop-over in Dubai (might as well go see the natural wonder of a city self-destruct as I missed Reyjavik of last year), to Thailand, but then travelling around Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Also interested in Myanmar, but they're even more paranoid than N Korea or Iran!

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaNYC View Post
    Minato-san, domo arigato gozaimasu! ( I hope I said that right). Japan looks wonderful. Tokyo looks amazing, I mean to see an urban area that has over 12 million people living there, with no trash on the ground, is amazing.
    It is amazing.

Its another planet, on earth.

But what the hell would I know, with my imaginary trips, and the fact that had lived in China by the age of 12. (you can read here how some English git on the forum got a little jealous that anyone but him actually could afford a CHOIP FLOIGHT).

I spend a lot of time in Japan, actually too much.

And you were close.

Minato Ku is a part of Tokyo, on the Bay, and also theres one in Osaka somewhere.

Here's Minato Ku (Minato ward) in Tokyo

You could have said Minna san ("everyone").

Jeez, Tenebaum, you still sore about that??

Tokyo IS pretty amazing. the first time I went I remember thinking that the scenographer for "Blade Runner" was not nearly as imaginative as I had previously thought, must have just spent time in Tokyo.

Fascinating culture: I wish we could learn from them that it's possible to embrace the best aspects of technology and modernity without foresaking the strand of excellence embedded in tradition. There was an articlr about kimono silk printers in thr New Yorker a few years ago that was almost touching in the way it described the care these guys put into excelling at such an economically marginal but culturally vivid aspect of their culture.

I believe they even have a specific word for the bittersweet sentiment evoked by observed something beautiful but impermanent (like a cherry blossom, etc.). Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Luca View Post
    I believe they even have a specific word for the bittersweet sentiment evoked by observed something beautiful but impermanent (like a cherry blossom, etc.). Amazing.
    Not upset, just stunned that an adult would actually think that I had lied about that. What is going through his mind to think like that? Is he an estate agent and presumes that we all have to lie throughout our life, or just a pathetic "Me me me! You cant do that! Only me!"

The phrase you may be thinking of is mono no aware.

But what the hell would I know, I guess 20 years of travel, language and Japanese cultural immersion counts for nothing, if you're not an Englishman like Nick Taylor.

loving this pic, it just screams Tokyo. Japan is such a pleasurable assault on the senses...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast