Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Posting Photos Images at WNY Using a Mac v. a PC (and other adventures)

Default Posting Photos Images at WNY Using a Mac v. a PC (and other adventures)

I'm into my second week learning about my new iMac and have found that when I try to post articles with pictures here at WNY that the pictures don't show up. I never had that problem on my PC -- I could copy entire articles and paste them here as a new thread or a reply and everything would show up, photos & images & all.

I'm using Safari now; before I was on Explorer. I cornered someone at the Apple Store and we tried to figure it out, but no luck. She said it might be some default thing with Safari.

If I drag & drop a picture on the Mac from one window directly into a post / reply box window here at WNY then I get the link instead of the picture:

http://curbed.com/uploads/2009_02_gehrywatch.jpg

And if I drag & drop a picture onto my Mac desktop and then drag & drop it into the WNY post / reply box then I don't get an image, but rather (using the same picture as above) this is what shows up:

/Users/myname/Desktop/2009_02_gehrywatch.jpg

Going at it from another angle: When I do a google image search, find the images that fit the bill then choose the one I want and try to drag & drop it here this is what shows up:

http://curbed.com/uploads/2007_12_beekman.jpg

BUT ... If I click that image and then use the "Insert Image" icon on the WNY tool bar (the yellow square with the mountain above the message box) and then copy / paste the link into that "Insert Image" box then -- VOILA! -- the picture FINALLY shows up (which seems like a lot of rigamarole just to post a pic) ...

HELP!!!

Then there is the problem of getting a screen capture -- seems there's no "Print Screen" key for it on a Mac. But you can get a screen capture on the Mac if you press these keys simultaneously: command :: shift :: 3 ...

When I try to paste that here absolutely nothing shows up.

Anyone know what this is all about? And what tricks there might be to allow me to post pics / images directly from other sites without a lot of fuss?

Thanks, as ever, in advance.

ps: When I get this figured out i have some other questions about what program / application might be good to take over the role that the tried 'n' true PAINT Application fulfilled on my PC.)

pps: And it seems that iLife '09 -- which should arrive in the mail any day now -- has a feature whereby iPhoto connects directly to Flickr accounts ... So of course I'll be tossing out some questions about how to best play with that in regard to WNY Flickr.

On a Mac, control-click is roughly equivalent to PC right-click when used on an image or link.

'Copy Image Address' and 'Copy Link' will be your new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Then there is the problem of getting a screen capture -- seems there's no "Print Screen" key for it on a Mac. But you can get a screen capture on the Mac if you press these keys simultaneously: command :: shift :: 3 ...

When I try to paste that here absolutely nothing shows up.
    The command-shift-3 function saves images as .pfd files, so that's probably why nothing is showing up. You'll have to open those files up in Preview, go to File and "export" the images as a .jpeg (or whatever file type you'd like). From there you should be good to go.

Also, while command-shift-3 takes full shots of your screen, command-shift-4 lets you select what area you want to capture.

Lofter, is all this just a sneaky way of getting out of schlepping to construction sites with a camera?

I won't hear of it. No photos, no posting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mac is intuitive, but apparently I'm not .

Seems I learned way too many bad habits via self-taught practices on my PC, which worked just fine in that world. I'm slogging through and learning new stuff by the day. At least now I've gotten to the point where I rarely spend two hours trying to figure out what key will perform a simple little task. Or where a new folder is hiding. Although it totally confuses me why the "end" key drops you down to the bottom of the page (isn't that what the "page down" key is for?) instead of taking you to the end of a line ...

And I've yet to find what key Mac is used to repeat an action (like the trusty f4 key on a PC).

Photos will be more plentiful now that I'm getting the hang of iPhoto ... there's some from today over at Gehry Beekman thread.

Zip: When the iLife '09 gets installed I'll need full instruction as to how to connect direct to Flickr. But I sense you're a PC guy, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post

... command-shift-4 lets you select what area you want to capture.
    God Bless you!

No doubt I'll spend about 2 hours tonight trying to figure out what to do after I twist my hand to click those three keys ...

I could probably help you out a little, but I'll let the Apple Heads guide you.

You should download Firefox for Mac as a browser. Some have told ne it's superior to Safari, but even if not, it's a good idea to have an alternate.

What model did you get?

No doubt I'll spend about 2 hours tonight trying to figure out what to do after I twist my hand to click those three keys ...
    Yeah, it ain't easy. I do the thumb on Command, pinky on shift, and middle finger on the last key. You can just feel the carpal tunnel creeping up!

And although I have no major issues with Safari, I use Firefox almost exclusively. It seems to use up less memory, and you'll find that the keyboard shortcuts are more similar to what you're used to on a PC (regardless of whether you were using IE or Firefox there). But overall they're pretty similar.

Firefox does seem to be a good alternative. It's on my To Do list.

I got the 20" iMac (very sexy brushed aluminum -- arsenic-free / lead-free ) / Leopard 10.5.6. I wanted to get set up to cover myself for the next 4-5 years (hopefully). I'm loving it.

I'd been working on an old Dell with dinky amounts of memory & power, where applications could barely operate simultaneously, so this new baby is pretty impressive.

Here's what Mac says about itself:
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version: 1.29f1

I also got a LaCie Rugged 500 GB Ext HD.

The new suite of iLife '09 goodies should arrive in the mail for download toot sweet. Slideshows have some fun new features. No doubt it will have lots of surprises.

The free in-store workshops are very good for getting some basics. Plus I opted for One to One plan which are proving to be very helpful (although the promised 1 session / week are barely possible, as the program at $99 / year is incredibly popular and you can't book the next session until the current one is complete, at which time the next available seems to be ~ 10 days away).

What Mac compatible program would be comparable to MS PAINT?

Something that allows the insertion of images into / on top of a photo. Cutting & pasting parts of photos. Things like that.

I don't need lots of bells and whistles, but I do like to play around. And I don't want to spend much $$.

Any suggestions?

Photoshop Elements for Mac. Latest Version 7 is about $80, and there are various discounts and rebates. I think Adobe allows a free trial period with download before you have to get an activation code.

Stripped down version of the much more expensive Photoshop CS4.

All you'll need to process images.

No comparison to MS Paint.

Graphic Converter (34.95 USD) can be downloaded and tested* for free "practically without any restrictions."

*Restriction: the unregistered version takes slightly longer to start [30 seconds of intentional inconvenience] and the batch processing function is disabled.

More akin to MS Paint in it's limitations than Photoshop CS. (I don't know about Elements).

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    Photoshop Elements for Mac. Latest Version 7
    Windows is V7. For Mac it's V6.

Its really more of a personal preference between Firefox and Safari. They play leapfrog in performance improvements. The advantage of Firefox is that it has a larger selection of 3rd party extensions. Out side of that they are both roughly equal.

In HTML and javascript performance they both are far ahead of IE.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I could probably help you out a little, but I'll let the Apple Heads guide you.

You should download Firefox for Mac as a browser. Some have told ne it's superior to Safari, but even if not, it's a good idea to have an alternate.

What model did you get?

I have rather large hands, but I've never found too much difficulty with that key command.

Here's a list of keyboard short cut from Apple, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

God Bless you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast