Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping hair stylists

People take exception to being required to tip even when service isnt above average. When you come from a different culture you can see the absurdity of it. Tipping is supposed to be for great service, not for all service.

I used to tip 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    However, you're not getting your hair cut outside of this country, and you appear to be well aware of America's tipping customs. Like them or not, they are a fact of life, and I believe that you're well-informed enough to know that. As such, all you're doing is complaining about an expensive haircut. If it's too much for you, find something cheaper.
    Nono, this is of course why I finally DID ask, because if it is customary here, as seems very clear that it is, I do intend to tip for it

As Alonzo says, when it is mandatory it becomes a charge and not a tip, and that's true, but meh, whatever. It's not that I mind having to pay what I should pay, it's perfectly fine, but this "system" makes it easy to be confused. Even more so for first time tourists, and in the end it only hurts the people in the service professions.

Anyway, what I do find kinda surprising is if these people would actually deliberately deliver a poor service as "revenge" when you came back. If I was running any form of service business and found out my employees were doing a bad service on purpose because they didn't get tipped, I would be mighty pissed, after all, it's your name/reputation that gets hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by KenNYC View Post
    Nono, this is of course why I finally DID ask, because if it is customary here, as seems very clear that it is, I do intend to tip for it
    Good man.

And to clarify the latter part of your post- I honestly think that most business owners would sympathize with employees receiving sub-par tips. Not that anyone would go out of his or her way to give you bad service, but when a person doesn't give a tip, it's an indication that they're not happy with the service they've been given. Well, either that or they're just cheap.

Much like Zippy's previous suggestion, if you're a regular in a bar and you're known for never giving an appropriate tip, no one's going to be knocking themselves out to serve your drinks.

I get that America is pretty much unique in this, but as I said before, that's just how it is. I don't think you're going to find too many American women who would be keen on the idea of being one of many wives to one man, but good luck trying to argue your case here if that's your bag.

Where did polygamy come into this?

Good man.
    You sound alot like the 'if you dont like it get the hell out' people I knew when I lived in NY. Why do alot of Americans blindly defend things like these just because they are American.

Why "blindly defend" tipping?

Because bosses and business owners don't and won't pay sufficient enough salaries, and if consumers are not properly educated about tipping and how it is structured into various aspects of the US economy then a whole lot of workers will be coming up short.

When I was in London last year I was surprised at the low rate of tip designated for a taxi driver. But when I saw how much a cab ride cost (seemingly double to triple the NYC rate) having to pay much more for a tip would have been onerous.

The way I read it was that simply because people in the US do it KenNYC MUST do it, simply because it is the custom, without question. Which reminded me of conversations Ive had in the past along the lines of: If you dont want to tip, get the hell out.

I wasnt referring to why people tip. Like I said before, if consumers HAVE to tip then its not a tip, its a charge. The problem is with the system of how wages are paid, not the tippers, the responsibility shouldnt be ours.

I actually do believe that if a person is so fundamentally opposed to tipping that they refuse the practice on principle, then he or she should "get the hell out" of any place that requires tipping. No one's starting a revolution by stiffing workers who rely upon tips- they're just being straight up cheap.

And as for this?

"Why do alot of Americans blindly defend things like these just because they are American."

I have no idea about the other 300 million Americans (or why Alonzo-ny is putting some quasi-xenophobic spin on the story), but I'm defending the practice of tipping because that's how people can afford to live.

Tipping is a skill and an art.

I'm defending the practice of tipping because that's how people can afford to live.
    Hypothetically, if everyone in the US simultaneously gave up tipping, would the minimum wage for someone in a tipping position stay the same? I doubt it. Like i said before the responsibility shouldn't be on the consumer, if it is then it isn't a tip it is charity.

Hypothetically, if everyone in the world held hands and sang in perfect harmony, wouldn't there be peace in the Middle East?

Yes.

This wasn't really what I was getting at. Yes, I'd prefer it if people were paid decent wages, like they are in the civilized world, but here I am.

Anyway, one more question on the issue of tipping...

In Diners, it seems customary to pay at a cashier not to the waiter. I usually pay with a card, so I don't have a choice in the matter, but ideally, would there be a difference between leaving a tip on the table to the actual waiter towards just tipping on the total bill at the cashier?

I would maybe imagine that tips given at the cashier ends up in a pool that is divided between the staff?

In that type ^ of situation I always leave the tip in cash on the table before paying at the cashier.

In many restaurants tips are pooled and split between wait persons, bus staff and the kitchen (and bar).

See also Tipping in NYC

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast