Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping hair stylists

Default Tipping hair stylists

This just seems to trivial to put in the Q&A forum, I figured I'd just put it here. Am I supposed to tip the hair stylists? I go to a rather pricey salon and kinda figured if I'm already paying $100 for a haircut, a tip is rather excessive, but am I supposed to?

Yep.

Apply that thinking to an expensive restaurant.

If the type of service requires a tip, the amount of the bill doesn't matter. And assuming you like the service and will be a regular customer, you don't want your ears nicked.

Fair enough, although I don't quite buy into the restaurant analogy. Then again, I'm not a fan of this tipping culture/under the table money to begin with

When I lived in NY, for years I went to a fellow who cut hair at his apartment. He was a real pro but it was cheaper and of course no tipping and fuss. He did a good job and had great clients.

Quote Originally Posted by KenNYC View Post
    This just seems to trivial to put in the Q&A forum, I figured I'd just put it here. Am I supposed to tip the hair stylists? I go to a rather pricey salon and kinda figured if I'm already paying $100 for a haircut, a tip is rather excessive, but am I supposed to?
    A $100 haircut should be costing you at least $120. If you've been stiffing the stylist on the tips, I imagine you won't care much for your next cut.

I don't really believe that, I can't imagine a hair stylist is going to risk her job proving a point over shorted tips.

The place I used to go to (great cuts, great people, complimentary beer, $60) they put your tip in an anonymous envelope without your name on so they didnt know who was tipping who.

Why would giving someone a bad haircut risk anyone's job? Frankly, if you show such little respect to a stylist as to consistently underpay, I don't know why they'd continue to accept your appointments. A tip isn't considered "excessive," regardless of how much you're paying for the service- a tip is considered mandatory. If you don't care for that, you can always use the money you're saving on professional cuts to buy yourself a pair of good shears.

If I ran a professional service store of any kind, and my employee deliberately gave a customer a bad product/service to prove a point, I'd have his/her ass on the street in a heartbeat. I would imagine most business owners in New York approach their business with the same level of expectation and pride too. I could certainly be wrong.

If you think not tipping is about being disrespectful, I guess you just haven't been much out of this country, this "gray" economy is very unique to America, and is not something the "rest of us" are used to. It's not about being disrespectful, it's about not knowing about it.

The fact that I don't like it is a different matter. Put all the costs on the tab, and pay taxes on the money. Don't get me wrong, the fact that I don't like this, doesn't mean I do not accept it. I tip, and I tip generously. I still do not consider it a proper way to run a business, or for the economy in general.

Quote Originally Posted by KenNYC View Post
    If you think not tipping is about being disrespectful, I guess you just haven't been much out of this country, this "gray" economy is very unique to America, and is not something the "rest of us" are used to. It's not about being disrespectful, it's about not knowing about it.
    I don't mean to argue, but I've been outside out this country plenty, and understand your claims about the "gray economy." I've also made it a point to acquaint myself with the local customs of places I visit, and I do believe that you, KenNYC, have done the same.

However, you're not getting your hair cut outside of this country, and you appear to be well aware of America's tipping customs. Like them or not, they are a fact of life, and I believe that you're well-informed enough to know that. As such, all you're doing is complaining about an expensive haircut. If it's too much for you, find something cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    If it's too much for you, find something cheaper.
    That was my point about the restaurant.

If a tip is mandatory then its not a tip its a charge. Which in my opinion renders them pointless.

At my old hair place they asked if you would like gratuity envelopes, they didnt force them upon you.

So what does everyone generally tip their hair stylist? I think I generally wind up giving about 20%. Just curious what everyone else does.

I agree our tipping culture has gotten out of control, and if given the choice I would prefer not to have it, or at least use it sparingly. It used to be something rewarded for good service above and beyond, but has grown into something mandatory which I agree is pointless.

Here's an honest question: if you're aware that in America, tipping is considered mandatory, how does one rationalize NOT tipping based upon the practices of their home country/any other random place in the world? You don't go to China and say, "Well, that's not how they do it in Egypt..."

NYatKnight, I tip my stylist 20% as a standard, and more if they've given me exceptional attention or fit in a last-minute appointment. Around $5 for the person who washes my hair, if it's not the stylist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast