Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AIG Building - 70 Pine Street - by Clinton & Russell \ Holton & George

The building was just landmarked. (PDF)

The ornate Deco lobby was also landmarked (PDF) More photos at the end of the document.

Great news about 70 Pine.

Now how about a reverse landmarking decision, and by that I mean an open invitation to <please> tear down a building. First on my list would be 60 Wall Street, the world's biggest uninvited guest.

God I hate 60 Wall. It's a skyline wrecker. It's hard to believe that the Ford Foundation building was designed by the same architect.

What exactly is wrong with 60 Wall? I certainly wouldn't rank it one of New York's great buildings, but I don't think it worth the venom surfacing in the last few posts. Can we have some insight into your hatred of the building?

I don't know what's up with you guys, but compared to the incredible hulks on Water Street(and the rest of the crap going up around the city) I think that this is a great skyscraper. Not many are built like this anymore(and probably won't, at this rate).

Wait, not many are built like 60 Wall? That's probably a good thing. I'd also take about half of the buildings on Water St (88 Pine, 77 Water, etc) over 60 Wall any day.

Even if you like (or don't particularly object to) 60 Wall as a stand-alone building, it's hard to argue that it didn't grossly disrupt the vista of several classic skyscrapers.

I think forum posters love to hate 60 Wall for two reasons: 1) it's unfashionable and dated PoMo; and 2) it's way too big for the site, disrupting the skyline and the neighborhood.

We can argue all day about the first of these two reason, but it seems very strange to me that people forget the lesson derived from the second reason (i.e. very big buildings are not appropriate in crowded parts of Manhattan) to other projects on, oh lets just say, 53d, 57th, and at 7th & 33d?

I don't agree with the size issue for Midtown. Putting aside its appearance, the bulk of 60 Wall would be at home in Midtown.

I always thought 60 Wall belongs in Vegas.

If 60 wall is to big for the area then what about WTC towers 1,2,3,and 4. Their across the street for christ sake.

Good point. By my calculations, 60 Wall is only about 34,000 sqft a floor while the average floor in 4WTC will be 44,000 sqft. I think it might be because of the slenderness/setbacks of the nearby buildings. The streets over here are much thinner than church and west as well. More to think about.

60 Wall isn't across the street from the WTC. Although I disagree with TTK's opinion about 60 Wall in Midtown, I agree that the building is too bulky for where it happens to be. I wouldn't want to see any of the WTC towers there either. They would do the same thing to 40 Wall, 20 Exchange and 70 Pine.

Not across the street but a stones throw away. That's what I love about Down Town and the Wall street area, all the narrow streets and alley ways with giant buildings rising all around. Love walking down there on a Sunday morning with nobody around.

^
    It's over a quarter mile away. If you can throw a stone that far, go talk to the Yankees.

Fat 60 Wall was dropped in the middle of these 3 buildings.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast